Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2016, 07:13 AM

Default Tire Siping in Calgary

So i picked up some Michelin LTX AT2 tires over the summer and they have been awesome on the gravel back roads and highway use. Fast forward to now and my delight with them on the snow and ice have been wanting. Unless im in 4x4 tires are not grabbing. Disappointing to say the least.

So instead of buying a new set which i told the wife i was doing she has convinced me to look at other options.

Ive searched the forum for threads related to Calgary for Tire Siping and come up empty handed.

Where can i get my tires siped in Calgary?
Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Sorry man... I don't know of any shops doing it, but there are some guys out there with their own hand siping tools doing it over beers with buddies. Really though, it isn't going to do a heck of a lot for you on those tires as they are already siped pretty extensively. Siping tires like this is more about giving tires like solid blocked mud terrains some extra block flexibilty. It won't change much at all though in the extra cold conditions we have been seeing the last week or so though. It causes the rubber to harden so much the sipes are all but useless because they blocks don't spread apart under load very well negating their function.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:22 AM

I've run Michelin LTX's on ice and snow lots over the years and have never found them to be any better or worse than other tires I've had but you have to remember that 10 ply tires get real hard in cold temps and won't grip. I certainly wouldn't be thinking of replacing them after only a few months, and to think we haven't had any snow to speak of yet. Sounds like you'd better keep that wife around as your financial planner!

There used to be places in Calgary that siped tires but I haven't heard of anyone doing it for quite a while, maybe it's a liability thing.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:23 AM

From Michelin's website:

"A Light Truck and SUV tire with a compound designed to resist chipping and tearing"
"100,000 km Limited Warranty"
"35% Longer Life on Gravel"

Which probably means they're a harder rubber compound tire, and by extension, won't ever be good in winter. I would consider getting a set of dedicated winter tires... Not helpful, I know, but just sayin'...

Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 AM

Those tires are not a good candidate for hand siping, better to invest your money in a set of dedicated winter tires. Or, drop the tire pressure a little to increase your tread contact on the icy surface. It helps a bit.
And slow down on the icy roads, they are treacherous even with winter tires.

BTW- these tires do not get good reviews for snow and icy road conditions from people who actually live in areas where they regularly encounter snow and ice. Other than that, they seem to get top scores in all other areas.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-14-2016, 07:55 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Grizzly Adams theory on winter tires ?

They just enable idiots to drive faster,when they should be slowing down.

Grizz
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
They now have their own charity...

https://youtu.be/-srUpzCmBrM

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Grizz

4 wheel drive trucks and awd cars have the same effect!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:52 AM

I have done this to 2 different sets of tires over the years but both were more of a blocked mud tire. Definitely helped on ice and snow when done but both times the tires wore out well before they should have. Won't do that again!
Dedicated winter tire is the way to go.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM

Dad has Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus tires on his duramax. They seem to hold pretty good. Good life on gravel so far, and they seem to hold well in snow and ice. They're an all weather tire...
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM

I have been a big Michelin fan for many years as my Dad was employed there as was my brother. I also got the family discount

The original LTX AT were an awesome tire that did well year round. The LTX AT2s absolutely suck when it is cold and in mud they are not much better. The rubber is too hard and the treads plug full. I am getting rid of mine even though they still show good tread.

I had been running the Michelin x-ice on my car and will now admit that ignorance was bliss. I put Nokian Hakkapeliitta on my car a week ago and they are superior in every way. The treads literally self clean in snow and slush and they are sticky on ice even when it is really cold. I hope they wear well as they are awesome.

My vote would be dump the Michelin LTX2 as they are dangerous in winter. I am running mine well below the recommended air pressure and almost always in 4 wheel drive. I don't use the truck much in winter or mine would already be gone. Stopping distance on ice is ridiculous even with anti lock brakes.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Idiots drive fast no matter what tire they have. Winter tires just makes stopping easier. Im a fan of studed winter tireds myself the diffrence on ice is great.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM

My Tundra came stock with the LTX A/T2. I liked them so much I just put on a new set. It is interesting how opinions vary. 10km gravel and 20km highway every day
Old 12-14-2016, 10:16 AM

I now use Nokian Hakkapeliitta's on all my vehicles for winter.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:13 AM

To answer your original question Kal Tire Truck Shop is the only place I know that still Sipes tires. Don't know if the one in Calgary still does for sure, they did up till 2012, but the one in Edmonton still does. Had a set of Mud Terrains done last year. They will only do NEW tires, no used.

Another vote for the Nokian Haks - siping those Michelin tires won't help.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:52 PM

tirecraft on 178th st and 118 ave sipe as well. and will do used as well
in edmonton
Old 12-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Tire Siping in Calgary ?

Don't you just hate spell check!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster_777 View Post
So i picked up some Michelin LTX AT2 tires over the summer and they have been awesome on the gravel back roads and highway use. Fast forward to now and my delight with them on the snow and ice have been wanting. Unless im in 4x4 tires are not grabbing. Disappointing to say the least.

So instead of buying a new set which i told the wife i was doing she has convinced me to look at other options.

Ive searched the forum for threads related to Calgary for Tire Siping and come up empty handed.

Where can i get my tires siped in Calgary?
I had these stock on my f350 and after one winter bought rims on kijiji and dedicated winters . Hankook Ipike. hard to find 20" in load E.
They are awesome.
The LTX not so in winter for reasons discussed. Bought new LTX Defenders this spring.
Good luck.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Tire Siping in Calgary ?

Don't you just hate spell check!
Please enlighten me on the correct spelling.