Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
So you think it's ok to put the worst defensive player on the top line and hope he contributes enough points to offset his giveaways while he breaks up the plays the rest of the elite players are working on and trying to make... that's fine you're allowed to have your opinion.

As someone who's played and coached hockey, even at the lowest level, if you can't do a simple thing like wait at the half wall for a wraparound pass during a breakout, your ice time suffers. Yak broke up more breakouts for us than he ever did for the other team, he refused to learn simple plays.

You can try and justify him all you want but the facts speak for themselves.
You can say put Hall in that spot and see what happens, Hall was moved down. He responded by working on his game and getting better defensively.

At the end of the day the return we got for Yak says all you need to know about what the hockey world thinks about Yak and his future in the NHL.
Oh gimmy a break , he could have developed into a good NHL player just was not put in a position to succeed .if he was the only first overall pick the oilers had you can bet they would of had him playing first and second line minutes most of the time and they would have spent more time on him . Hall was moved down for how long ?lol it's the organization that's part of the problem they are not good a player development , they also have a reputation of rushing players that are to young , it's ok to do that if you got a team of good skilled veterans not all young brand new NHL'ers

Last edited by Remtac; 10-12-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remtac View Post
Oh gimmy a break , he could have developed into a good NHL player just was not put in a position to succeed .if he was the only first overall pick the oilers had you can bet they would of had him playing first and second line time most of the time and they would have spent more time on him . Hall was moved down for how long ?lol it's the organization that's part of the problem they are not good a player development , they also have a reputation of rushing players that are to young , it's ok to do that if you got a team of good skilled veterans not all young brand new NHL'ers
Under Eakins? He played most of the year on the second line. I disagree I don't think he has it in him. I won't argue that they have rushed guys through to fast. No doubt about it. I think you're off base with Yak though, which is to bad cause I was a huge fan of his.
Had he figured it out I think he could have been a real danger but unless he had the puck on his stick he was totally lost on the ice.

There's a lot more to it than being given the chance to play on the first line, having one of the worst +/- in the league says a lot about him.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Oh gimmy a break , he could have developed into a good NHL player just was not put in a position to succeed .if he was the only first overall pick the oilers had you can bet they would of had him playing first and second line minutes most of the time and they would have spent more time on him . Hall was moved down for how long ?lol it's the organization that's part of the problem they are not good a player development , they also have a reputation of rushing players that are to young , it's ok to do that if you got a team of good skilled veterans not all young brand new NHL'ers
How did all of the other first round picks, playing under the same conditions, with the same pressure, all end up being good NHL players?

Playing 1st or 2nd line minutes is not a chicken and egg scenario. It's black and white. FIRST you show the talent and the drive to earn being there, THEN you play 1/2, not the other way around. Unfortunately for Yak, and for me when I was a kid, you can't make someone a legit first line player simply by playing them on the first line.

Placing the blame on the organization is off the mark. You can lead a horse water, but you can't make it drink. And if you've lead that horse to water over and over again and it still can't figure out it needs drink when it's there, then continuing to lead it to water is insanity. It's time to send that horse out to pasture and get a new horse...
Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
How did all of the other first round picks, playing under the same conditions, with the same pressure, all end up being good NHL players?

Playing 1st or 2nd line minutes is not a chicken and egg scenario. It's black and white. FIRST you show the talent and the drive to earn being there, THEN you play 1/2, not the other way around. Unfortunately for Yak, and for me when I was a kid, you can't make someone a legit first line player simply by playing them on the first line.

Placing the blame on the organization is off the mark. You can lead a horse water, but you can't make it drink. And if you've lead that horse to water over and over again and it still can't figure out it needs drink when it's there, then continuing to lead it to water is insanity. It's time to send that horse out to pasture and get a new horse...
Origination sucks at player development, Sam gamer barely got a job this year with Columbus , Magnus Paajarvi , rob shremp, nail yakupov, and so many more. Terrible hockey teachers.a lot of these players picked up bad habits , It should start to improve now with better personnel in the organization . Look how many coaches and GM's in the last 10 years , very unstable organization players cannot develop properly in an environment like that .

Last edited by Remtac; 10-12-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Origination sucks at player development, Sam gamer barely got a job this year with Columbus , Magnus Paajarvi , rob shremp, nail yakupov, and so many more. Terrible hockey teachers.a lot of these players picked up bad habits , It should start to improve now with better personnel in the organization . Look how many coaches and GM's in the last 10 years , very unstable organization players cannot develop properly in an environment like that .

Yes the organization needs work. No the organization is not to blame for Rob Shremp failing to make the jump. Some players can't adjust. ... just like some people ignore reason and common sense.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=fitzy;3355927]Yes the organization needs work. No the organization is not to blame for Rob Shremp failing to make the jump. Some players can't adjust. ... just like some people ignore reason and common sense.[/QUOT

But I'm really exited for the season opener tonight
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM

[QUOTE=Remtac;3355928]
Quote:
Yes the organization needs work. No the organization is not to blame for Rob Shremp failing to make the jump. Some players can't adjust. ... just like some people ignore reason and common sense.[/QUOT

But I'm really exited for the season opener tonight
Now that we can agree on!!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=fitzy;3355932]
Quote:

Now that we can agree on!!
Ahhhhh , that was his opinion but nice try lol
Old 10-12-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Sam gamer barely got a job this year with Columbus , Magnus Paajarvi , rob shremp, nail yakupov, and so many more. .
But with good organizations for a couple years now all these guys have/should blossomed and become really good players.... Huh? What do you mean they're still not really good players? Not even good players??? LOL What?????? They have never even done as well with other much better teams than they did with the Oilers? Amazing.

The Oilers just overestimated and picked players that weren't that good. They didn't ruin great players. They just couldn't pick a winner in a game of solitaire.

Now shall we talk Hall of Famers Brett Hull and Martin St. Louis and how Calgary nurtured and got the best out of them? Every team has it's horror stories.

Last edited by Okotokian; 10-12-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
But with good organizations for a couple years now all these guys have/should blossomed and become really good players.... Huh? What do you mean they're still not really good players? Not even good players??? LOL What?????? They have never even done as well with other much better teams than they did with the Oilers? Amazing.

The Oilers just overestimated and picked players that weren't that good. They didn't ruin great players. They just couldn't pick a winner in a game of solitaire.

Now shall we talk Hall of Famers Brett Hull and Martin St. Louis and how Calgary nurtured and got the best out of them? Every team has it's horror stories.
Sure
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 AM
Banned

Yakupov score a goal and a assist for a 2 point night in his first game as a St. Louis blues
Old 10-14-2016, 01:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yakupov score a goal and a assist for a 2 point night in his first game as a St. Louis blues
Because he got a breath of fresh air in a different organization. Edmonton was like going to work knowing you were up against the wall fighting a constant loosing battle, sucks the life right out of you type environment.
He will do well elsewhere.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2016, 07:12 AM

Steen, Tarasenko, Sobotka, Paajarvi, Jokinen, etc. I bet you feels more at ease with a group of veterans with European style of play.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Not to split hairs, but it was his second game. In the first he played less than 11 minutes and had 1 shot on goal and 1 hit.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Wow, he got WAY better FAST!

I'm happy for the kid though.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:39 AM

If Yakupov never plays another game, St. Louis still wins the trade.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
If Yakupov never plays another game, St. Louis still wins the trade.
Insert Elliott for Yakupov and the statement's still true! LOL
Old 10-14-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Insert Elliott for Yakupov and the statement's still true! LOL
But then it doesn't make nearly as much sense. Of course a team would win if the player they trade away only played one more game in the NHL.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
But then it doesn't make nearly as much sense. Of course a team would win if the player they trade away only played one more game in the NHL.
pffft. details.
I should have said even those draft choices never play a game.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Not to split hairs, but it was his second game. In the first he played less than 11 minutes and had 1 shot on goal and 1 hit.
He also had good games with the Oil. I think he will still be Yak. I do wish him the best though. He is a great guy with a huge heart. Was amazing to kids he'd meet.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Banned

If he scores 15 goals this year we get a second round pick

Last edited by Remtac; 10-14-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
If he scored 15 goals this year we get a second round pick
I'm betting he gets 14 lol hope he gets 20
Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM

Yakupov to date -

3G, 3A, -2 in 20 games. Healthy scratch for the other 12 games.

He's getting a token start against the Oilers tonight.

I'd say that trade worked out just fine. I don't like the Oilers chances of upping the draft pick to a 2nd though, he's not getting to 15.

Too bad Remtac got banned...
Old 12-19-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Yakupov to date -

3G, 3A, -2 in 20 games. Healthy scratch for the other 12 games.

He's getting a token start against the Oilers tonight.

I'd say that trade worked out just fine. I don't like the Oilers chances of upping the draft pick to a 2nd though, he's not getting to 15.

Too bad Remtac got banned...
Still like Yak as a kid. Still glad we traded him.

That's his best defensive start so far
Sounds like he's not playing Hitchs system either..... it really is to bad Remtac isn't around lol
Old 12-19-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I'm betting he gets 14 lol hope he gets 20
You are confused. 14 is how many games he will be allowed on the ice for, not how many goals he will get.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
You are confused. 14 is how many games he will be allowed on the ice for, not how many goals he will get.
I think that might be an unreasonably high expectation.