Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2016, 01:54 PM

He was a waste first pick overall. The Oilers brass should of told Katz no and went for Ryan Murray-a defenseman instead. He was unless. His first year he looked and played like a boy amongst Men. Lazy. Only played better when he thought he might get traded at the deadline last year.

At least he is gone.....Good riddance 👍
Old 10-09-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
He was a waste first pick overall. The Oilers brass should of told Katz no and went for Ryan Murray-a defenseman instead. He was unless. His first year he looked and played like a boy amongst Men. Lazy. Only played better when he thought he might get traded at the deadline last year.

At least he is gone.....Good riddance 👍
I don't disagree that he was an absolute dud out there. But in all Fareness he was ranked #1 by the oilers scouting staff, central scouting and im sure the majority of teams if given that 1 overall pick would have made the same choice as the oil did. I don't see him lasting a season under Hitchcocks rule.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:41 PM

You know, the reality of all this failed Oilers drafting, coaching, management talk is that if they wren't mega screwed up, and all their picks worked out, we don't get McDavid. All the ineptitude was worth it. It really was.

I hope Yak succeeds, but he likely won't.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
I don't disagree that he was an absolute dud out there. But in all Fareness he was ranked #1 by the oilers scouting staff, central scouting and im sure the majority of teams if given that 1 overall pick would have made the same choice as the oil did. I don't see him lasting a season under Hitchcocks rule.
He actually wasn't. Murray was ranked number 1. The scouts sent their choice to a meeting of the minds and the word is Katz wanted Yak.

In all fairness so did I but I didn't have a team of pro scouts telling me no. He didn't pan out it's been happening for decades that picks wash out. If the Oil had finished top 10 in the league last 2 years nobody would notice how he was a dud. He would just be gone.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
He actually wasn't. Murray was ranked number 1. The scouts sent their choice to a meeting of the minds and the word is Katz wanted Yak.

In all fairness so did I but I didn't have a team of pro scouts telling me no. He didn't pan out it's been happening for decades that picks wash out. If the Oil had finished top 10 in the league last 2 years nobody would notice how he was a dud. He would just be gone.
I stand corrected, I totally thought he was ranked #1 in his draft year.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 PM

2012 Central scouting final ranking - North American skaters
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=79331

2012 Entry Draft
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2012e.html

Everyone loved Yak!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
My brother enjoys those calls, the Eberle for Subban or Weber variety.
Haha yes it's amusing how some have no clue , they would fill one hole but open another lol
Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
People say trade for this or that, totally oblivious to market value. It's comical what people think we should get for Eberle.... or Yak.
Eberle is a very affective right winger in the NHL he's a 25-30 goal scorer every year . He's led his team in goals most every year . There are 30 teams hat would want him
Old 10-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Banned

Best wishes to YAK on his new scenario...take advantage of the opportunity and OWN it
Old 10-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Banned

The oiler organization has not gone forward until last year.

Isolate the past and try to trust the new direction.

We recycle models, but I believe this new model will be more productive.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:41 PM

Oilers are better off without him great skills and hands but no heart like the canadain boys
a me first attitude need to be a team player to survive in this business for sure
Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remtac View Post
Eberle is a very affective right winger in the NHL he's a 25-30 goal scorer every year . He's led his team in goals most every year . There are 30 teams hat would want him
I was referring to the Eberle for Subban people. The people who think that a small forward for a highly skilled right shot D straight across is a likely trade.

No argument that he's good. Just wish he was a little more defensively responsible.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:09 AM

Default yak

Glad to see him go, for the Oilers as well as for himself. I have a feeling he'll have his most successful year yet.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Banned

Default Lucky Nails

I d love to be going to St. Louis , he will be a super star .
Really hasn't been a smart move out of the chuck since
Pocklington traded the great one !
Old 10-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Default yak off

Good riddance! Typical lazy European.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning21 View Post
Was Pavel Datsyuk and Teemu Selänne lazy ? I can name others
Old 10-10-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Nick Lidstrom, Peter Forsberg, Jagr!??? This is ridiculous.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Yak Off

Quote:
Nick Lidstrom, Peter Forsberg, Jagr!??? This is ridiculous.
You can't possibly be comparing yak to any of the above mentioned players. Maybe my original comment should have said "Another instead of Typical". Never the less good riddance.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:

You can't possibly be comparing yak to any of the above mentioned players. Maybe my original comment should have said "Another instead of Typical". Never the less good riddance.
What you don't think Yak is another Jagr lol ?
No my point is saying European players are typically lazy is ridiculous. For the most part they play a completely different style of play. Granted some are lazy ... just like North American players.

Either way I totally agree. Good riddance.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
What you don't think Yak is another Jagr lol ?
No my point is saying European players are typically lazy is ridiculous. For the most part they play a completely different style of play. Granted some are lazy ... just like North American players.

Either way I totally agree. Good riddance.
Agreed Fitzy
Old 10-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

He's not comparing yak to any of these players , he's simply saying that not all European are lazy players
Old 10-12-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Players that young need to develop properly with veterans . If yak would have started out his career on a team like LA, Detroit , or even a Chicago black hawks team , he would have done better
Of course. EVERYBODY does better on a better team. But how come McDavid appears to know how to play? How come the Oilers didn't "ruin" Hall, who was a top five winger in the NHL as an Oiler? RNH has grown much more than Yak, with exactly the same coaching and team mates. Draisaitl played for team Europe. Were the Russians considering Yak? Not a chance.

He was just a bad first round pick. Lay that on the Oilers, not the kid. I think he tries hard, but... I suspect we will see him in the KHL in a year or two.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Of course. EVERYBODY does better on a better team. But how come McDavid appears to know how to play? How come the Oilers didn't "ruin" Hall, who was a top five winger in the NHL as an Oiler? RNH has grown much more than Yak, with exactly the same coaching and team mates. Draisaitl played for team Europe. Were the Russians considering Yak? Not a chance.

He was just a bad first round pick. Lay that on the Oilers, not the kid. I think he tries hard, but... I suspect we will see him in the KHL in a year or two.
Because Mcdavid is a generational talent , they don't come around very often .Because hall and nuge was not stuck on the third line for 95 percent of there careers
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Because Mcdavid is a generational talent , they don't come around very often .Because hall and nuge was not stuck on the third line for 95 percent of there careers
Hall learned to play 2 ways after his rookie year. Nuge works hard at his Yak never did. Every rookie has to make adjustments coming into the NHL Yak is a great person but hasn't made any adjustments to learn any aspect of the game but his and he isn't good enough for that to be enough.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Uh, Yak EARNED third line. And third line still get minutes. He wasn't on the fourth line that sits much of the game.

read up on what pros and coaches honestly say about him. He's clueless. Doesn't know what to do when he doesn't have the puck. None of the other top Oiler draftees are so clueless.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Oilers made wrong pick to begin with because Katz forced them to. Oilers drafted someone they thought they could get good value for in a future trade.

Then to prove their point the management and coaching staff hung Yak out to dry. Yak is a sniper and you coach and play to players strengths not their weaknesses. Yak is not a third line player as their jib is defensive. You would never see Eberle on the third line.

If they put him with a big player that could get him the puck in offensive zone you would have had a Hull and Oates situation.

Yak was mis-coached from the get go. Eakins I liked at first as he was about conditioning but is not ready to coach in NHL.

Now we have a coach and a GM that are pragmatic and are making changes rather than hanging on to hopes and dreams.

Yak does not fit into Mclellan's system so he is gone and they are bringing in people that will play a syatem and as a tough gritty team. You see they are trading flash for Grit. and people who will play for the name on the front, not the back.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Uh, Yak EARNED third line. And third line still get minutes. He wasn't on the fourth line that sits much of the game.

read up on what pros and coaches honestly say about him. He's clueless. Doesn't know what to do when he doesn't have the puck. None of the other top Oiler draftees are so clueless.
Put Taylor hall in he third line for 3 years and you will see his points drop off dramatically
Old 10-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Line combo Yak played the most minutes on last season 5 on 5?:

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
http://www.coppernblue.com/2016/9/5/...15-2016-season

He's had his chances. Hasn't always been third line. Just sunk there. and even if he had started and been held there, he never got better. Plenty of players play their way up a roster. Sam Bennett and Mathew Tkachuk are on Calgary's third line. Are the Flames ruining them?
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Line combo Yak played the most minutes on last season 5 on 5?:

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
http://www.coppernblue.com/2016/9/5/...15-2016-season

He's had his chances. Hasn't always been third line. Just sunk there. and even if he had started and been held there, he never got better. Plenty of players play their way up a roster. Sam Bennett and Mathew Tkachuk are on Calgary's third line. Are the Flames ruining them?
We all know he Hasint always been on the third line but he spent most of his career there and everyone knows about this working your way up thing but that don't work on the oilers roster we had for the last few years. It's part of the problem I'm sure it's not the only problem

Last edited by Remtac; 10-12-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
We all know he Hasint always been on the third line but he spent most of his career there and everyone knows about this working your way up thing but that don't work on the oilers roster we had for the last few years. It's part of the problem I'm sure it's not the only problem
So you think it's ok to put the worst defensive player on the top line and hope he contributes enough points to offset his giveaways while he breaks up the plays the rest of the elite players are working on and trying to make... that's fine you're allowed to have your opinion.

As someone who's played and coached hockey, even at the lowest level, if you can't do a simple thing like wait at the half wall for a wraparound pass during a breakout, your ice time suffers. Yak broke up more breakouts for us than he ever did for the other team, he refused to learn simple plays.

You can try and justify him all you want but the facts speak for themselves.
You can say put Hall in that spot and see what happens, Hall was moved down. He responded by working on his game and getting better defensively.

At the end of the day the return we got for Yak says all you need to know about what the hockey world thinks about Yak and his future in the NHL.