Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-17-2016, 01:56 PM

Default Camp Wainwright

Hi,

Anyone hunt Camp Wainwright last year? How are the White Tail populations?

Cheers,
Sedge
Old 06-17-2016, 02:17 PM

We saw way more moose than wide er last year. We were in the 1st group / primative weapon

Saw 2 antlered mule deer and we got a small antlered mule deer.

Is the stats not available on wildalberta site?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM

Someone got a once in a lifetime white tail last year during the first hunt.
I was at the second to last hunt, and saw very few deer
Old 06-19-2016, 07:38 PM

It's still recovering from several harsh winters. It's always hard to tell exactly how the deer populations out there are because they are so spread out and movement is hard to predict but it does seem to be getting better. We saw more mule than whitey and didn't see any big bucks but we did see deer, we were out in the muzzleloader season and there was 1 monster taken and a couple half decent ones. Not quite what it used to be for trophy quality but still a fun hunt.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:50 PM

I saw 2 does the whole time I was there! Pretty sad to be honest. Moose all over the damn place though!!
Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM

I saw more deer last year during my son's Moose hunt than I did 2 years prior in my own deer hunt. But still not like folks say it use to be like. We did see a couple of really nice bucks. but it seemed there was almost nothing in that prime 4.5-5.5 year old.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 AM

Default First Timer...

With a Priority 9 I am hoping to be drawn this year. Would appreciate any advice some of you with experience would be willing to offer. Thanks all.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM

I have been in Camp Wainwright deer hunting approx. 6 times going back to 1990 and moose hunting once. The used to be has never been good but is getting worse every year! lol The deer hunt in there has always been tough with very few good deer sightings, mainly mule deer does. The last time I was in I saw one doe in 2 days and packed it in as nobody was even seeing deer. I am in line to go again this year and not sure I am going to bother... if I do I will try the primitive weapons hunt for a change.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:46 PM

I was in the first primitive weapons and saw over 100 muleys in three days. Harvested a doe and a 149" muley. We got two cow moose. Saw two monster mule bucks but couldnt get close enough. Saw that monster whitetail at check in on the last day. What a bruiser once in a lifetime for sure. Cant wait to go back. Dont get me wrong we put on miles.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Default nope

we were there last season last year terrible..seen 5 mulie does, 1 mulie buck, buck was in the closed area.lots of moose...we put alot of miles on the boots..ill try again in a few years.
Darrell
Old 06-20-2016, 04:57 PM

I was there within the last 3 yrs. Seen the biggest MD and WT bucks in all my trips on the base. Numbers may not be what they used to be but some big boys are still hiding in there and we will see at least a couple bucks and does every day. We like to go on the last season, makes for a tougher hunt but usually all of the base is open. Helps spread out the hunters. Could be better with the last couple mild winters. Pm Shed Crazy, he is the base bio.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 PM

I would wait a few years and save your priority. 3 of us went on the first hunt and saw moose bur very few deer. Hiked lots, drove lots, stand hunted from dawn til dusk.