Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors forever View Post
Nice try........

I don't really buy the fact that you have only been here since Sept 2014.....I have a feeling this is not your first rodeo.

You know darn well who Treeguy is........

That's what I was thinking too.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Reasonable solution to a problem, lmao

Similarly the Park Managers in Stanley Park , Vancouver BC, net large numbers of Canada Geese, whom goose poop the lawns so thouroughly that humans fear to walk, much less play or picnic there, , ,

So upon having enough trapped geese to fill their transportation poultry truck/van , the staff hurriedly drive their precious cargo of pretty poooping geese many miles out to the Fraser Valley , where lovingly they release the goose poooping culprits into the wild.

NOW by some wondrous marvel of nature , the Newly Re-located Canada goose poopers take flight and are back in Stanley Park about 3 hours before the the poultry truck can fight its way back into Vancouver though the snarrelled traffic,,,

What a bunch of morons,

Simple solutions for simple people

Birds can fly ? ? Wow, who'd a thunk ?

They ( Park Management) during the molting season and only after getting the approved permits from CWS....
Not as easy as 1, 2, 3....
Rob
Old 06-13-2016, 10:19 AM

Bumping this thread.

Where do you get supplies for building a trap?

I've got about 4 that are harassing the young cat (1 year old) and I'm nervous that they eventually will start to peck at her. They are already encircling her and squeaking at her from a couple feet away.

This morning I was woken up at 6 from them squeaking so I grabbed the pellet gun but once I shot they all took off and the cat came screaming into the house and damn near took me out.

I'm in Chestermere right now but would obviously go into the city.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Bumping this thread.

I've got about 4 that are harassing the young cat (1 year old) and I'm nervous that they eventually will start to peck at her. They are already encircling her and squeaking at her from a couple feet away.

This morning I was woken up at 6 from them squeaking so I grabbed the pellet gun but once I shot they all took off and the cat came screaming into the house and damn near took me out.
Here is alberta agricultures design http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm.../all/agdex3496 says to use mink wire but I think chicken wire would work just fine.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Bumping this thread.

I'm in Chestermere right now but would obviously go into the city.
UFA will have what you need.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Banned

This topic made me recall a story my grandfather told me when I was young. He hated corvids, all of them, because of the predation on other nesting birds they seem to do. He would gather up old nests in the fall and store them for the winter, then come spring he would put these nests around his yard. Since most corvids (jays/magpies/crows) nest early they would be the first back. He would then climb into the corvid nest and steal the eggs and put them into these "fake nests". Sure enough eventually the parents would eat their own eggs thinking they were another bird. It worked on many species, crow eggs in duck nests, magpie eggs in robin nests, etc.

Food for thought
Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Last week I posted about the Magpies I had trapped around my house in the city. There were a large # of the annoying nuisances (about 11) that were really causing some aggravation. After trapping 3 the first day and 2 the next, I must admit that I just didn't have the heart to kill them, so they were released unharmed after a strong talking to.
Since then not one Magpie has been seen or heard around our block. Guess they decided to move to another neighborhood. I find this very strange, but am glad their gone.
I can relate to the reluctance to kill them, it's something that a person can get over quite quickly though. Just watch them killing & eating the fledglings of desireable songbirds for a wake up call to arms. I'd not mind them so much if they were genetically altered to be mute.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Well it took me about 4 hours to build. I even got a sunburn. It's a 2'x2' cube with a 14" cone that reduces to 2.5" and is 15" long.

I sprinkled dog food into it and left some out front of it. Hoping I get one today. If I do it's gonna get exhaust fumed.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 PM

For anyone interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 04:27 PM

Here's a giant trap lol

Old 06-13-2016, 06:16 PM

i counted a couple of times and couldn't get 2 doz bird . i think you got short changed lol. nice trap
Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 PM

I am assuming they go in where the small pieces of wood are?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Here's a giant trap lol

that's just like the one we built............it's 16 ft long and 8 ft wide, and so far we've killed over 200.

has made a BIG difference in numbers around the farm. we now see a couple each day, but not flocks of them like before.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

Funny you should say a white one was seen around sherwood park.
Hauling Co 2 from the fort many years ago at the same time the Baptist lake area white moose was shot north west of rotten monkey house , I saw one and related that sight to the fellows at work , Well to put it mildly , They called BS on that ! LOL perhaps there are offspring!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:50 PM
Banned

again about the fact you report no more magpies around your yard they are extremely smart and perhaps were the dominant ones in that small neck of the woods , explaining why none have yet moved in ?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:37 AM

Here is the last Magpie that dared to enter my yard.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-19-2016, 05:53 PM

So my trap worked finally except one thing, I went to work on Tuesday and the girlfriend was going to look after the trap. I told her to put it away when no one is home so the birds aren't in there for the weekend when they are at the cabin.

Well she forgot to put it away, and 7 birds got in it. 1 black bird and 6 magpies. The magpies killed the black bird, and the neighbour got concerned after a full day of them being in the trap so she opened it and let the magpies out.

So I got a dead black bird. And now the magpies might know not to go into it again so my plan has probably failed.
Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Quote:
So my trap worked finally except one thing, I went to work on Tuesday and the girlfriend was going to look after the trap. I told her to put it away when no one is home so the birds aren't in there for the weekend when they are at the cabin.

Well she forgot to put it away, and 7 birds got in it. 1 black bird and 6 magpies. The magpies killed the black bird, and the neighbour got concerned after a full day of them being in the trap so she opened it and let the magpies out.

So I got a dead black bird. And now the magpies might know not to go into it again so my plan has probably failed.
They'll go back in, just re-bait and they'll come back
Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 AM

I tried trapping badgers at the end of the season this year, all I caught were magpies, they wouldn't wait to get in my box and see what was in there.