Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Banned

Good fences make good neighbors.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Banned

Had a similar problem. Lazy Animal Control officers wouldn't get their doughnut fed asses out of their chairs to do anything. They told me that they knew the owner of the pack of dogs that was in question, and they were nice dogs, so I shouldn't have had any issues with them.
I politely asked the officers to tell the owner to keep the dogs on his land. Two day later they were back, marking their territory and defecating in my yard.
I shot one of the dogs. Tossed it in the back of the truck and drove to the Animal Control office to drop it off. Haven't seen the other 3 dogs in a couple years.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up

I have a dog team so I get a lot of stray dogs entering my property. Not a lot of them leaving it.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkabilly View Post
I didn't really wan't to go to close to that dog because it's a trained guard dog(as my neighbours wife stated "trained to kill anyone") and seams to be somewhat aggressive when walking by that property...
Aggressive dogs get dealt with by me in several ways, first a call to animal control and if nothing is done, well ........
Cat
Old 09-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Smile

local SPCA will give you a live trap. then take it to the spca when filled. they will deal with it from there. all legal an they can deal with the neighbor.My neighbor run new heifers out here for a time ,told me my dog`s were running his heifers.Told him to make sure he got the lead dog first so if he misses the others he will of solved the problem, because I will shoot em if I see em doing that and I really liked those dogs.WOLVES GOT EM all in one winter.But it is what it is, you contain your animals or someone else will.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 AM

Default aim

How could you miss Lol. Get a bow silent and deadly. Practice shooting more as well. Its also illegal to shoot a firearm near occupuide houses. That's federal no matter what the RCMP tell you. Kiss you guns and pal goodbye.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Default Dogs and more Dogs

Always an Alberta answer here. My neighbors cows and calves were being harassed and killed by the other neighbors two boxers. One morning while out checking the cows they were at it again, so out with the rifle. One did not go home, the other, sadly did with an injury. But when the dog owner confronted the cowboy about injuring the dog he simply stated, "He never meant to hurt it or leave it suffering, He aimed to Kill it." End of story
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Default Love dogs but......

Like!
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgesmith View Post
always an alberta answer here. My neighbors cows and calves were being harassed and killed by the other neighbors two boxers. One morning while out checking the cows they were at it again, so out with the rifle. One did not go home, the other, sadly did with an injury. But when the dog owner confronted the cowboy about injuring the dog he simply stated, "he never meant to hurt it or leave it suffering, he aimed to kill it." end of story
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM

We has an neighbours dog come onto our farm when I lived in SK, it attacked our dog and left our dog bloodied, it then tried to bite me as I tried to grab it so I got out the 12ga and shot it. Dropped the carcass off at the neighbours and explained what happened. Showed the injuries to my dog and hand and he pretty much said he would have done the same thing. At that point I really didn't care what he would have said to me but at least he was understanding. Sometimes there are no other choices unfortunately .
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM

An dog trespassing on your land is not a reason to kill it. Under the livestock act, a dog harassing or harming your livestock is.

I would have no problems shooting a miss-behaving dog on my property, but I would make sure I was legally covered.

Regardless, I would still make sure to practice "SSS".

Your local AC Officer should be involved in most disputes. Remember they can only do what the law allows them to do. They can't just "remove" dogs. Often a court hearing is required, even after severe vicious incidents. Issuing fines doesn't change the circumstances unless the owner wakes up and keeps fido confined to property and behaving properly.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Plain and simple owner a dick Shoot It. The dog that is"""
Old 09-02-2013, 01:39 PM

1 warning to the owner, next time the dog dies! Done it, do it again if needed.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Improve your shooting skills. Jokes aside, sounds like it could be dangerous to try and catch it.

Grizz
How can it be dangerous to catch it.? I've handled lots of trained aggrassive dogs. They are the best.
Tell them with some authority to 'sit' and they do. Let them sit for a few minutes then tell them to heel and they do. It has never failed for me.

A truly trained 'guard dog' would never be allowed to run loose.
A retriever breed is the easiest. Throw a tennis ball. He'll bring it back. Drop a loop on him and he's yours.

""BBB"\
\A guard dog... a trained one is a weapon and unless its registered and they have a regulation fence to contain it...its just a mean dog that isn't properley controlled."

Where did that come from

There's a guard dog registry now??? Don't happen to have a link for it do you.?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkabilly View Post
I didn't really wan't to go to close to that dog because it's a trained guard dog(as my neighbours wife stated "trained to kill anyone") and seams to be somewhat aggressive when walking by that property...
I would have executed that POS in a heartbeat.On my land,growling at my people and messing with stock BANG.Done. I have done it before,I`ll do it again if need be.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:18 PM

I was much luckier I hit my target . Had to deal with a raving lunatic and the rcmp .... in the end there wasn't a thing they could do about it .
Old 09-02-2013, 02:37 PM

a bow is your best friend in a residential area......and keeps you on the ball, for the season. I had stray-cat-apolosa when I bought my place.....but for some reason, they all vanished.....perhalps they moved to a new block
Old 09-02-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Good fences make good neighbors.
So does making sure your dog stays where it belongs. Probably the most common Country bitch.

Grizz
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
Banned

Two can keep a secret only if one of them is dead.
You shouldn't post things like this online, it's way too traceable and trust me there is someone always watching.
As for your problem, You can call animal control, take the dog to the pound or shovel and bury.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up

I have a dog team so I get a lot of stray dogs entering my property. Not a lot of them leaving it.
I agree! Have you tried a paint ball gun?