Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM

Default Hantavirus

Figured Id post this to make people aware and remember that it can be deadly

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/2...-innisfail-man
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 PM

I lost my first wife to Hantavirus. Gone in 3 days.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 PM

It is truly tragic when anyone dies, that's for sure.
However, this is really rare--probably a lot more people killed by lightning strikes.
I think we need to be cautious, but not paranoid.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It is truly tragic when anyone dies, that's for sure.
However, this is really rare--probably a lot more people killed by lightning strikes.
I think we need to be cautious, but not paranoid.
Lightening strikes and hantavirus dead is still dead; one is instant and the other takes a few days and you know you will not survive.

Caution is the only protection you have. As far as the mice go a bottle of bleach nearby is a must as well as a dust mask.

The other tiny critter that a lot of people overlook is the tick and the out fall of lymes disease.....Horrible just horrible......

You make think it is uncomfortable to have look your hunting buddy look you over for these critter but it is a whole lot more uncomfortable then you have the disease and all the NON SUPPORT FROM THE MEDICAL ASSOCIATIONS; as they deny there is such a disease in Alberta.....

Enough said; just be careful in any sense.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 AM

This is an important posting!
I lost a perfectly healthy coworker in her 20's to this disease several years ago.
Less than 2 days from contact.
I keep hearing its rare....but surprising how many people know someone who died from it.
If you have mice....get rid of them.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Gone Hunting

We sometimes forget that even in temporal regions we can get some weiord and wonderful diseases.

My brother contracted Beaver fever in B.C. from the water supply on the ranch. Small spring uphill from the house. No beaver for miles and miles. He was sick for a while.

I just heard a few weeks ago about a pharmacist in the Oyen area who got the Hantavirus and died. I now of one other in that area who got it and survived. His wife is a nurse. He was cleaning up on the farm and next day went down. She got him to emergency as she recognized the threat I guess.

A local woman has west nile since last year. She is still recovering. I don't know if she ever will. It hit her like a massive stroke. couldn't walk or talk. She is now getting around and talking , but not great. Mosquito bite.

Add in the bird flu.........though I understand there is a tweetment for that, and the swine flu...........but they have oinkment for that, and it is scary place out there people.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
We sometimes forget that even in temporal regions we can get some weiord and wonderful diseases.

My brother contracted Beaver fever in B.C. from the water supply on the ranch. Small spring uphill from the house. No beaver for miles and miles. He was sick for a while.

I just heard a few weeks ago about a pharmacist in the Oyen area who got the Hantavirus and died. I now of one other in that area who got it and survived. His wife is a nurse. He was cleaning up on the farm and next day went down. She got him to emergency as she recognized the threat I guess.

A local woman has west nile since last year. She is still recovering. I don't know if she ever will. It hit her like a massive stroke. couldn't walk or talk. She is now getting around and talking , but not great. Mosquito bite.

Add in the bird flu.........though I understand there is a tweetment for that, and the swine flu...........but they have oinkment for that, and it is scary place out there people.
The survival rate is very low. That guy was lucky.

The biggest problem is, that by the time you are diagnosed with Hantavirus it is too late......it only takes days to get a foot hold on you.

http://www.lung.ca/diseases-maladies...us/index_e.php

Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 AM

I just figured Id share the article as some people are just not aware.

At work we have had lots of mice getting into the equipment, our boss really doesn't care but the operators are comp0laining so when we work on it we blow the cab out and its filled with mouse poo. My coworker gets right in the cab and start blowing it out and causing a huge dut storm, no mask or anything and I keep bringing the hantavirus up but some people think its to rare to worry about.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM

I was at my neighbor's place when he decided to sweep out his garage. When we moved stuff we saw mouse poop all over the floor. He just started sweeping and raising dust clouds.
I yelled at him to spray the floor with a bleach solution first and put on a mask because of hanta virus, but he just shrugged and kept sweeping. Scared the bejeebers outta me!

His wife saw and heard, then disappeared into the house and came back with a spray bottle and sprayed everything.
Then she started ragging on him.
That was the ONLY time I ever agreed with a wife "nagging" her husband.
Thankfully nothing happened to him, but I considered it a "close call" because we had a lotta deer mice that year.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
I just figured Id share the article as some people are just not aware.

At work we have had lots of mice getting into the equipment, our boss really doesn't care but the operators are comp0laining so when we work on it we blow the cab out and its filled with mouse poo. My coworker gets right in the cab and start blowing it out and causing a huge dut storm, no mask or anything and I keep bringing the hantavirus up but some people think its to rare to worry about.

You could notify Alberta Labour, Occupational Health and Safety and have them educate the boss.

A vacuum with a HEPA filter would be much more appropriate to use than to blow the dust around.

Hanta virus has only been recently identified (late 1980's) and is much more widespread than previously believed. It is a real concern for everyone in Alberta.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
Banned

In 1996 when 6 people died of a mystery disease that turned out to be hantavirus in Sask my aunt was the first of them. No laughing matter.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
In 1996 when 6 people died of a mystery disease that turned out to be hantavirus in Sask my aunt was the first of them. No laughing matter.
That's the year we had a deer mouse infestation here. They lived under the garage and shed. I got my kids to run the garden hose under each to flush them out - in swarms.
I got 21 of them with a single-shot pellet gun. I could have got a lot more with a Crossman repeater.

I was constantly re-setting mouse traps and dumping plenty of carcasses in a bucket of bleach solution.

That was a BAD year, and I hope I never see it again.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You could notify Alberta Labour, Occupational Health and Safety and have them educate the boss.

A vacuum with a HEPA filter would be much more appropriate to use than to blow the dust around.

Hanta virus has only been recently identified (late 1980's) and is much more widespread than previously believed. It is a real concern for everyone in Alberta.
X2
As well, start documenting your observations and conversations. I am here to tell you that if someone becomes sick or dies; your testimony in any tribunal will be invaluable.

The victim or their family will be so appreciative.....

Even in this day and age there is still a lot of block head supervisors that believe if you can't see or smell something it is not there. Or, "I did it this way for the last 20 years and I am okay" mentality.

Bill C-45 makes 2013 a lot different than 1993.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/other-autre/c45/

It is everyone's responsibility to ensure a safe work place.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:54 AM

Your chances of contracting hantavirus are about 0.055/100000. The chances of death are far smaller than that.

"There have been 25 cases of hantavirus and eight deaths reported in Saskatchewan since 1994.

Since 1989, Alberta has averaged about two cases a year, with the last fatality in 2005, when a woman in Hobbema died and her daughter and another relative ended up sick after cleaning out a mouse-infested garage."

While a good thing to be aware of and take precautions against it isn't anything to run away screaming about.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 08-31-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: My math skills deserted me temporarily.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:50 PM

i had a close encounter with the H Virus, I Was was about 10 years old on my grandmothers farm, Was cleaning out an old trailer they hadnt used for years, not even 36 hours later.
Everything went black. i woke up a week later in the U Of A,
And was told my heart had stopped 3 times.
This is no joke people, Hanta Kills.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Lightening strikes and hantavirus dead is still dead; one is instant and the other takes a few days and you know you will not survive.

Caution is the only protection you have. As far as the mice go a bottle of bleach nearby is a must as well as a dust mask.

The other tiny critter that a lot of people overlook is the tick and the out fall of lymes disease.....Horrible just horrible......

You make think it is uncomfortable to have look your hunting buddy look you over for these critter but it is a whole lot more uncomfortable then you have the disease and all the NON SUPPORT FROM THE MEDICAL ASSOCIATIONS; as they deny there is such a disease in Alberta.....

Enough said; just be careful in any sense.....
Not meaning to disagree with stuff; but my wife is very aware of the dangers of Lyme disease here in AB, she just had a run in with a suspected case.

I also had a tick on me while is South Africa and she freaked and caught it in a bottle of water we had and was very worried (turns out it didn't actually bite me) but when she's freaking out I know it's bad!

She's a MD in Leduc. She said there is no denying the existence of Lyme disease in AB. Here is also the public info from the good 'ol Gov't.
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-fs-eng.php

-Will
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takkotime View Post
Not meaning to disagree with stuff; but my wife is very aware of the dangers of Lyme disease here in AB, she just had a run in with a suspected case.

I also had a tick on me while is South Africa and she freaked and caught it in a bottle of water we had and was very worried (turns out it didn't actually bite me) but when she's freaking out I know it's bad!

She's a MD in Leduc. She said there is no denying the existence of Lyme disease in AB. Here is also the public info from the good 'ol Gov't.
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-fs-eng.php

-Will
That is great to hear for the people who get bit now. It is too bad that they, the medical professionals, take so long to recognize things like this.

Five years ago things were different. They got to mine quickly and my side affects to this day are painful yet liveable. However a friend of mine is not so lucky as he can not function and is a wreck.

The difference between my friend and I is that; I recognized mine early and he didn't. That bulls eye only appears in less that 25% of the bites.
It was only when he went to a doctor in Seattle, WA that he was diagnosed and treated.....Again 5 years ago.

Kudos's to your wife with her knowledge and compassion to treat this disease in today's real time.......

On behalf of future victims, I thank her for that.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That is great to hear for the people who get bit now. It is too bad that they, the medical professionals, take so long to recognize things like this.

Five years ago things were different. They got to mine quickly and my side affects to this day are painful yet liveable. However a friend of mine is not so lucky as he can not function and is a wreck.

The difference between my friend and I is that; I recognized mine early and he didn't. That bulls eye only appears in less that 25% of the bites.
It was only when he went to a doctor in Seattle, WA that he was diagnosed and treated.....Again 5 years ago.

Kudos's to your wife with her knowledge and compassion to treat this disease in today's real time.......

On behalf of future victims, I thank her for that.
I know a fellow who contracted the disease and it ate away ate him good. Turned to skin and bones and from what he said it was very very painful and debilitating
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Fellas this thread IMO, is too important to let die on on page three....Let it run again.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 PM

This is great information to help people be aware of the dangers. Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and this article. It's so sad to hear how many of you have had such close deaths because of this virus.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Fellas this thread IMO, is too important to let die on on page three....Let it run again.
its nice to see others want to get the message out!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 PM

It might be rare but it is still something to be aware of. There might be a few people who read this thread and will take some precautions next time there is a garage or garden shed with a bunch of mouse dung in it that needs cleaning.

Same goes for pigeon crap. Don't just start sweeping away at it. There was an insulation shed at an old employers that was about 100 feet long and 50 feet wide that housed LOTS of pigeons and mice. I was told as a new grunt to take all the cubes of insulation out and to just go in and start sweeping. After "whining" about the massive amount of dust made from mouse turds and pigeon crap, I was given an old used 50 cent dust mask that was in the bottom of an old filing cabinet to wear to protect my health! I probably should have been given a good respirator for that task.