Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 AM

Question Where to get 4th class power engineer steam time ?

Hi, I am new to this forum. And I found out there are quite a lot of power engineers here and I hope to get your advises. .

My husband didn't take the 2 year course in SAIT/NAIT. He took the 4th online course and just recently passed ABSA 4A. The steam lab courses offered by SAIT/NAIT are all full and he is on the waiting list. And next opening would be next August (2013 august) and it looks like it's very little chance to get in. He's been looking and sending resumes hopefully he can get any fire time so he can first get his 4th certificate. The problem is every company wants at least 4th class. I started to think if not taking 2 year-course is a mistake? He also thinks about to volunteer to get the fire time.

I wonder if volunteering is the only way to go? After sending a lot of resumes, he also thinks maybe he needs to work in other fields to see when he can get into a lab and then continue. Is there anybody who had similar experiences? Some company I know would give ONLY 2 year students to get their some real experiences. For students who are not from 2-year college, is there any company would consider to give steam time or volunteer opportunities?

Thank you for all your sharing.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM

I can't see any company having a problem with someone volunteering for steam time. I know if you could get on at one of the refineries in the Edmonton area as a volunteer and busted your butt it would probably turn in to a full time job. Think of it as an interview. If you did this at Suncor in Edmonton they would definately hire you if you were good.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM

I don't know if this helps or not, but we could probably get him in a first class plant near Rimbey. Unpaid practicum, but we've had quote a few get their time here, and many have got job offers at the end.

PM me if he's interested.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:49 PM

I thank you all for your help. sirmike68, you would be surprised how many companies will not allow you to volunteer. megadodge, I really appreciate your help!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:26 PM

depending on where one is willing to work.... pulp and paper companys usually have utility operator positions where they will hire you without even a 4th if you have a commitment to write it in a certain amount of time.

I think most west fraser mills have this position aswell as alberta newsprintm and alberta pacific.

There is a place in ft sask on the drive that goes past keyera and plains (formerly BP) and around the back side of dow chemicals' ethylene plant, it's called petrogas energy services. They are a loading and storage terminal, they have a large enough boiler to get a fourth there, the pay is probably not great but it'll get fire time and chemical loading/unloading/rail yard experience which is valuable
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Thank you very much 79ford! Ill check it out.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
waylow

Check with the university as well, they used to take 4th class students voluntarily.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:02 PM

University of Alberta?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travaillons View Post
University of Alberta?
Yep. They do have a power plant, and all the heating steam right.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

Thank you very much! Wonder if you know which department or who to contact ?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Default lakeland

I know lakeland in llyodminster is installing a plant not sure if it is operational yet should be real soon.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 PM

Alberta news print company is hiring entry level people... I peeked at their website the other day. I think they hire with out a fourth but you have to write it with a year and have your 3rd written by 3 years.

Not many young students think about pulp mills or sawmills.... everyone wants oil and gas and oil and gas is attracting alot of people away from pulp and paper etc so the mills are usually hiring.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travaillons View Post
Thank you very much! Wonder if you know which department or who to contact ?
Sorry I don't know.

I'm sure you could go thru U of A info, maybe they would give you a tour if you explain why you are interested.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Status report
1. Suncor and cenovus replied that they don't take volunteers. Some companies haven't replied...
2. Sent resume to pulp and paper companies. Alberta news print not hiring for now.
3. Tried the university, they said they usually give only one month practicums. But they won't cover the WCB insurance. It has to go through a colleget(SAIT/NAIT) However as an online course student, it isn't included.

Thanks for the information you provided, which gave my husband a lot of places to try. For those who want to be a power engineer, I would think 2-year college should be your best choice.

This battle just started. I will not give up!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 PM

Also going through the same problem right now... Would be willing to do whatever is needed to get on somewhere. Tough to get on the lab portion at NAIT and practicum deals are few and far between. Any information is appreciated
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM

I was a Chief Engineer for 34 years in a 1st class power plant before retiring 4 years ago. I used to take 4th and 3rd class students from Nait, Lakeland College, etc all the time - lots of the shift guys did not like it and considered it a PITA, but I kept telling them someone trained you when you were getting into power engineering. It was a hassle (liability issues, safety,....). Now I hear the new chief engineer discontinued this program.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM

@ken1989
Thank you for sharing. You just pointed out my mistake at work the other day of not wanting to train a guy@@ even though I am not a PE. Someone did train me when I needed it.

@teamcanada
I wish I could help but I am not a PE. But there are still chances and you will get your work practicum.
And there are some very nice people in this forum.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Did I miss the memo about the site being changed to albertaPOWERENGINEERINGmen.ca???
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Banned

Default PE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
Did I miss the memo about the site being changed to albertaPOWERENGINEERINGmen.ca???
X1000
Is this the go to job now for every Joe Blow that doesn't know what they want to be or realized their first choice was not for them? Seems like every type of person thinks this is the best job for them because they hear good pay and time off, likely the reason there are so many new people in the industry that really should not have taken up this line of work. Why not just block all the threads asking about it, some of these questions are so simple, I'm not sure the posters should be considering a career with pressure equipment as they can't figure out some of these things on their own. I'm all for helping a guy, but some people obviously don't know enough about what the he// it is they are trying to get into. Just sayin, don't get all worked up about my opinion, the truth hurts sometimes.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM

Since being a member on this forum 5yrs?? I somehow, was able to enroll (all by myself) in Naits night course for P.E, succesfully get my steam time, and work two jobs and decide i prefered fitting, Without making threads about it.
impressive eh?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 PM

And what class did you have when you decided to change careers?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earnhardsbuddy View Post
And what class did you have when you decided to change careers?
I was a JM auto mechanic, when i took the class in night school. I got my 4th and worked as a 4th for just over a year, and now i am a jm pipefitter
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM

So wouldn't someone with your experience be a valuable resource for others trying to make a decision? I thought that was a big part of what forums are all about. I realize not everyone likes to help out and it is certainly their right to do or not do so. I haven't seen any unreasonable questions asked by anyone. If you take a glance down through you see many non-outdoors related posts. Me, I choose the ones that interest me and read and even sometimes respond; if I have something to contribute. But because I don't auto-mechanics, should I attack every auto-mechanic post? I'll continue to try to contribute in a positive way whenever I can.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
Go away, you are a loser.

There is good information in this thread. You've now screwed with two threads which had helpful and insightful input from other members. This is a General Discussion, anything within reason can go.

Also, if you want to try and express a point, try using proper grammar, it goes a long ways.

Last edited by Muliemaster; 01-11-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Help those who request the help...geez folks lighten up, dont like this post go to another, Best of luck getting the 4th class completed and dont give up!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM

The problem with volunteering for steam time is that if you get hurt or worse,or if you destroy equipment, where does the liability fall? I had to sign a few waiver forms when volunteering for mine. Opted out because they started asking questions about my insurance, I didn't have insurance to cover a boiler mishap.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM

Thank you for the positive responses. Volunteering is tough because of the liability - NAIT covers off their classroom students but won't pay for the correspondence students on WCB...

As for the negative responses - I'm quite sure the general section of most forums is specifically designed for information other than what is covered by the majority of categories...
Quite impressive how you've never once asked for advice or help from a buddy. Must be lonely at the top.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
I don't know if this helps or not, but we could probably get him in a first class plant near Rimbey. Unpaid practicum, but we've had quote a few get their time here, and many have got job offers at the end.

PM me if he's interested.
I am interested. I also need firing time. I've completed part a of the course and currently working on part b. I'm just looking for some firing time. thanks cody
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Curious,
First time posters, posting or replying to PE threads, and there are many.
Are you guys doing web searches for PE steam time and landing here on AO ?
We likely know the answer to that, but good luck to you's. A credit to the popularity of AO I guess.
Never had the www when I got into PE, and corresponance courses were mail in lectures, ha.
But we, the old PE vets got our tickets and steam time using what we had too.
Things have changed I guess. I hope you find what you need here.
Oh, and post a few hunting or fishing stories too if you have some.

TBark
Old 08-20-2013, 11:35 AM

I myself am in the same boat. I am taking my 4th class through an online course offered by a college, and I am looking to do my steam time somewhere later on when I finish the course. Would be willing to volunteer if that's what it took. Any info would be great. Thanks