Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Default Rock Island Ice

Was out on Rock Island Lake last Tues Jan 4, ice just over 15 inches 150 yards out from boat launch. No one else on lake. Everyone else was probably down the road at Calling L. Anyway in first 40 minutes with wetaskiwin specials and orange power bait I lost an average Jack and lost a good Walleye. Also had finger length perch nipping away at the power bait steady but they where to small to take the hooks I had. All this in 9 feet of water and 15 inches of ice. Water very murky though could just barley see bottom. There was also tracks of someone braver then me from earlier that week who ventured further out into the lake with their vechile. Only 10 -12inches of snow cover where I was.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 PM

that lake usually has a ton of snow and floodwater on it....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the report OF. I was thinking about heading up that way, but if nobody is crossing the lake yet I am not going to be the first.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:37 AM

So, although not on the topic of Ice Fishing at RIL, I am wondering if anyone has heard any rumors of RIL campsite opening for the 2011 camping season ???

I know that they could not find anyone to run the campsite last year, thus the closure, which was an extreme bummer !!!

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as I'll be coming out in June of this year from Vancouver Island...

Coady
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Hey bluesky: Happy 55th
Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM

Any more news on the flood water on the lake? I was planning on taking me sled and dont want to many problems.