Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM

On a related note. Does anyone know how long in advance you would have to book steam lab at SAIT? Ideally, I would like to do the 5 week steam lab during the summer session when I on holidays. If I booked it in Sept, is it likely i would get in summer 2014 or would I have to wait unto 2015?
Old 12-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Hi, Did you take your courses at NAIT?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
I don't know if this helps or not, but we could probably get him in a first class plant near Rimbey. Unpaid practicum, but we've had quote a few get their time here, and many have got job offers at the end.

PM me if he's interested.
Hi there,
I was wondering if your plant in Rimbey could help me get my fire time? Would you please ask your employer if he could help me out? I'm trying hard but no luck so far.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Hospitals as well will take on practicum / steam time students
Old 06-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
I don't know if this helps or not, but we could probably get him in a first class plant near Rimbey. Unpaid practicum, but we've had quote a few get their time here, and many have got job offers at the end.

PM me if he's interested.
Hi megadodge,
I know it has been a while since you posted this, but just wondering if you are still looking for people?
Thanks
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default Project for you

I have a Powell four inch three chime steam whistle I need to hear under steam.
It's an impressive all brass antique I bought from the USA.
Need at least 60 seconds of blow.
How big does the vessel have to be.
The valve is 1.25 inches and vents to atmosphere.
Probably similar to a Lunkenheimer so some flow data with compressed air in net but I just cannot find the steam end.
I know that as the steam gets released more steam will come out of the liquid.
I took thermodynamics in a Chemical Engineeting course with JT Ryan long ago and still have the book but it's packed away so deep I cannot find it.

Although I am in the oil and gas business I was never involved in projects where steam was used so I am not knowledgable in steam.

Well I make my wife her Italian coffee with a brass hand press from Italy that uses steam but nothing else. ( La Pavone )

How big of a vessel do I need and what do I watch for when Operating.
What should my emergency relief valve be set at and what is the maintenance procedure and interval on it.
If I heat it with propane how should I rig it up and what size bottle is prudent.
What should the design pressure of the vessel be?

Non commercial personal use but I like big safety factors.

I am sure you will impress some big boss on here who will take note and hire you.

Wish I can hire you but this position I am getting involves 84 offshore platforms so no steam there in South America.

Maybe you can work for a well testing crew up in the hot spot of unconventional wells up north.

Last edited by Mangosteen; 06-03-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
I have a Powell four inch three chime steam whistle I need to hear under steam.
It's an impressive all brass antique I bought from the USA.
Need at least 60 seconds of blow.
How big does the vessel have to be.
The valve is 1.25 inches and vents to atmosphere.
Probably similar to a Lunkenheimer so some flow data with compressed air in net but I just cannot find the steam end.
I know that as the steam gets released more steam will come out of the liquid.
I took thermodynamics in a Chemical Engineeting course with JT Ryan long ago and still have the book but it's packed away so deep I cannot find it.

Although I am in the oil and gas business I was never involved in projects where steam was used so I am not knowledgable in steam.

Well I make my wife her Italian coffee with a brass hand press from Italy that uses steam but nothing else. ( La Pavone )

How big of a vessel do I need and what do I watch for when Operating.
What should my emergency relief valve be set at and what is the maintenance procedure and interval on it.
If I heat it with propane how should I rig it up and what size bottle is prudent.
What should the design pressure of the vessel be?

Non commercial personal use but I like big safety factors.

I am sure you will impress some big boss on here who will take note and hire you.

Wish I can hire you but this position I am getting involves 84 offshore platforms so no steam there in South America.

Maybe you can work for a well testing crew up in the hot spot of unconventional wells up north.
What is the operation pressure of the whistle?
It is likely cost prohibited to make a boiler for that whistle.
Take to a plant in you area and see if they can hook it up and test it, but thats not likely?