Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Social Media Shame Paying Dividends

A thief who stole a phone from one of my staff, messaged. me yesterday. Not feeling sorry for him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phonethief.jpg (22.5 KB, 503 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM

drama drama drama
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
drama drama drama
Or a strategy for dealing with property crime. Take it as you will.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
Or a strategy for dealing with property crime. Take it as you will.
This is Canada.

I wouldn't be surprised if the thief could charge you with online harassment and bullying.

You are NOT allowed to defend your home why should you be able to out thieves online?

No love for thieves...but doing your dirty laundry in public is a little to liberal for my taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2969.jpg (12.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg 2017-04-13-09-02-27-1842866324.jpeg (6.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 AM

His hi res photos have been on my Facebook page (12000 views) and a few others to the tune of 30000 people. It has been an effective tool in deterrence and identification and therefore prosecution. Used in that order, deterrent first via public shaming.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM

Prosecution is as much of a deterrent as me doing nothing. I challenge you to watch people victimize you and your staff over and over and do nothing about it. $10000 a year in theft, a nearly 100% prosecution rate and zero money paid in restitution in 20 years. (yea the government is not helping me in any way) . I can and do prove my allegations are true. If you had a dog in this fight I would show you the video. I have posted photos on my counter for years before social media.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:32 AM

I love it Jay. But he has offered to pay. So give him the bill. $1800 to make this go away. After all, everyone should pay for their education. And the top quality instruction he is receiving isn't cheap. But he did sign up for the course, so he should pay. Perhaps he could apply for a grant?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
I love it Jay. But he has offered to pay. So give him the bill. $1800 to make this go away. After all, everyone should pay for their education. And the top quality instruction he is receiving isn't cheap. But he did sign up for the course, so he should pay. Perhaps he could apply for a grant?
Might as well round that number up to $2000 - it will make it easier to remember the lesson.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Now Scott, that, would be gouging. I'm sure Jay is a much nicer fellow than that. He would probably even give him the "time to pay " option. Perhaps mention that if a collection team has to be dispatched (H A), they'll not only need your $1800, they'll need theirs too 😂😂😄😄
Old 06-05-2017, 12:44 PM

"The phone that got stolen" instead of admitting that the theft wasn't the phones fault, it was his. What a deluded Millennial POS .

Other similar responsibility-denying sentences: "the truck that got itself hot-wired" "The girl who was asking for it with that skirt"

Nobody cares if a thief "moved on", that's pretty much what people with no conscience or sense of responsibility do every moment of every day. They move on without caring about destruction left in their paths. I'm glad the event is biting him in the azz but am also hoping the moron finds a real job (a crappy one, but an honest one nonetheless). If they don't then more theft will be easily justified by them "because people were mean to me".

As for airing dirty laundry here I don't see it that way as the OP has left the offenders name out of it. I do appreciate seeing liars and thieves being upset at consequences to their actions.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 06-05-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Phones should come with a self destruct mechanism.

Grizz
Old 06-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Banned

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

No sympathy from me. I hate thieves and have no problem leaving them twisting in the wind.

Good work Jay! You are doing more to prevent crime than the entire Alberta "justice" shytstem.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Default I like it

Had a pos beg me to look after his dogs last October as his business was slow and he had a last minute offer to work on a rig perhaps all winter into spring break up. He showed up two weeks later without notice removing the dogs while I was busy with other clients saying he would send payment for looking after Riley and Lincoln to my email. Many promises and text messages later I am still waiting for the $700 plus to show up.
He texted me out of the blue late in March saying he would send payment if I took down the negative commentary on his name on Google (guess search engines picked up his name from my site).
Told him I provided the service agreed to last fall so until paid I have no reason to take my negative experience with his name and businesses down from my dog training site.
Social media is powerful and I have had his ex and several former friends come forward saying they have seen my negative description of our encounter come up when searching for his name under several businesses he is known to operate in Calgary. I may never get my money but he has to deal with the explaining to potential clients and friends why he cons people and then doesn't pay.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

There is alot worse posted online. If someone is guilty, no issue with making it public.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM

Heart-warming stories like these make me happy.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 PM

Jay, I say you're like a modern day Robin Hood! Good on you. Make the dirtball pay, but make sure you take some extra beef, and have your camera running so nothing goes sideways.

WWBirds, you did the right thing. I hope you cost him a boat load of business.