Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 05:02 PM

Post New 4th Class power engineer requesting help

Hi guys and gals,

Returning poster of this fine forum. My apologies for yet another power engineering post

A quick update, just completed my 4th class Power lab with SAIT (great course, but expensive, cost about $5000) and now have my 4th class power engineering certificate and currently taking my 3rd online (also just sent off my blue book for my millwright journeyman ticket, so should be getting my red seal millwright within the next month).

Have applied to hundreds of positions and have received all pfo replies (please **** off!). I was wondering if anyone knows where to apply for power engineer/operator positions like for cold lake or other projects in the North (is there a specific company or department? have tried google but no luck).
I currently live in Calgary but willing to relocate (at my own expense) anywhere in Alberta as I am single with no family and flexible on wages/position/shifts etc, just want to get into the trade.

I am currently working security, but that is becoming a real problem, as they have not called me for work for over 4 weeks and I am not claiming ei, and they still have no guaranteed shifts available for the future, so I am in a real pickle

Any help/advice/leads are much appreciated,
Thank you kindly.

Last edited by power engineer 76; 06-03-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:34 PM

I'm not gonna sugar coat it or lie to you, right now is a horrible time to be a newly graduated power engineer with no experience.

I am a power engineer that works in the SAGD field and have been doing so since 2000.
Most companies are cutting down crew sizes by laying off and not replacing retirees and guys who quit.
Over the past 2 years, our crew sizes have dropped by 2 people on days and 3 people on nights. Wages have been cut and frozen the last 2 years as well.

I know several experienced power engineers looking for work or have taken jobs that isn't even industry related to stay afloat.

My advice is take what ever work you can find and unless you "know someone" you probably aren't gonna find that dream job till our economy/ oil rebounds.

I'm sorry to be the black cloud replying to your post, just being honest.

I am speaking from from the oilfield side but have friends in pulp/ paper, petrochemical, and power generation and it's not that much different of a picture from what I have been hearing.

Good luck with your endeavours.

RMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by power engineer 76 View Post
Hi guys and gals,

Returning poster of this fine forum. My apologies for yet another power engineering post

A quick update, just completed my 4th class Power lab with SAIT (great course, but expensive, cost about $5000) and now have my 4th class power engineering certificate and currently taking my 3rd online (also just sent off my blue book for my millwright journeyman ticket, so should be getting my red seal millwright within the next month).

Have applied to hundreds of positions and have received all pfo replies (please **** off!). I was wondering if anyone knows where to apply for power engineer/operator positions like for cold lake or other projects in the North (is there a specific company or department? have tried google but no luck).
I currently live in Calgary but willing to relocate (at my own expense) anywhere in Alberta as I am single with no family.

I am currently working security, but that is becoming a real problem, as they have not called me for work for over 4 weeks and I am not claiming ei, and they still have no guaranteed shifts available for the future, so I am in a real pickle

Any help/advice/leads are much appreciated,
Thank you kindly.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:48 PM

Bro in law has been off work for a year and a half after 10 year with a company. There isn't any work out there for guys unless you got some major in from a friend.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

There's thousands of engineers looking for work and everyone has the ticket I know guys who have 5-20 years experience looking for work it'll be a challenge getting a job
Old 06-03-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiemoosehunter View Post
I'm not gonna sugar coat it or lie to you, right now is a horrible time to be a newly graduated power engineer with no experience.

I am a power engineer that works in the SAGD field and have been doing so since 2000.
Most companies are cutting down crew sizes by laying off and not replacing retirees and guys who quit.
Over the past 2 years, our crew sizes have dropped by 2 people on days and 3 people on nights. Wages have been cut and frozen the last 2 years as well.

I know several experienced power engineers looking for work or have taken jobs that isn't even industry related to stay afloat.

My advice is take what ever work you can find and unless you "know someone" you probably aren't gonna find that dream job till our economy/ oil rebounds.

I am speaking from from the oilfield side but have friends in pulp/ paper, petrochemical, and power generation and it's not that much different of a picture from what I have been hearing.

RMH
Thank you for your reply and I appreciate your honesty rookiemoosehunter.

I am pretty much applying for anything and everything, including other Provinces, but would like to stay in Alberta. I agree, it is definitely hard without experience, so am applying for all entry level jobs, and summer student positions too.

Hopefully something will turn up..
Old 06-03-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Bro in law has been off work for a year and a half after 10 year with a company. There isn't any work out there for guys unless you got some major in from a friend.
Thank you for your reply nube. Sorry to hear about your bro in law, I was working as a millwright at the Calgary airport expansion project for 3 years, then got laid off too. Have been working in security for the past year just to pay the bills, but that is also beginning to dry up.

I agree that it definitely helps having a friend or an in. When my buddy got laid off, I got him a job with my company. He later got a much better job in power engineering, but when I got laid off and asked him for help he deleted my number!
Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
There's thousands of engineers looking for work and everyone has the ticket I know guys who have 5-20 years experience looking for work it'll be a challenge getting a job
I agree Slicktricker, it is definitely a challenge to find work, do you think having my 3rd would make a difference? I have just started it, and it is really tough, a lot of math involved.
I have been applying for jobs in this trade for over a year, and not even an interview, but I am still optimistic that I will find something (hopefully before I retire!)
Old 06-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:

RMH
Hi rookiemoosehunter,

I just wanted to ask, do you need a special ticket to work in the SAGD field, or do you start as an operator and get trained in it? I have applied a few places that ask for SAGD experience.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:40 PM

Why not get a job as a fitter apprentice during the meantime ..
Old 06-03-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
Why not get a job as a fitter apprentice during the meantime ..
Thanks coastalhunter, is that a pipefitter apprentice? Would I need to register as an apprentice and go through the whole schooling for that (totally broke right now!) or maybe they could hire me as I have a millwright ticket.

Anything beats working as a security guard for $15 an hour, dealing with dangerous drug addicts or drunk and abusive people.

Do you by any chance know how to apply for the Suncor refinery in Edmonton? I have never seen them advertise a job for that place and when I go to their website it just goes to there main career page.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks coastalhunter, is that a pipefitter apprentice? Would I need to register as an apprentice and go through the whole schooling for that (totally broke right now!) or maybe they could hire me as I have a millwright ticket.

Anything beats working as a security guard for $15 an hour, dealing with dangerous drug addicts or drunk and abusive people.

Do you by any chance know how to apply for the Suncor refinery in Edmonton? I have never seen them advertise a job for that place and when I go to their website it just goes to there main career page.
You won't have to pay for any trades schooling. Even as a helper you will make
more. Easier to find patch work as pipe fitters helper than millwright. Not sure about suncor, im in north peace, bc.

There are millwright positions hiring for LP in fort St. John last I heard. I would go that route for the mid-term if I was you.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalhunter View Post
You won't have to pay for any trades schooling. Even as a helper you will make
more. Easier to find patch work as pipe fitters helper than millwright. Not sure about suncor, I live in north peace, bc.

There are millwright positions hiring for LP in fort St. John last I heard. I would go that route for the mid-term if I was you.
Thanks for your advice coastalhunter, I will definitely check it out. I applied for some jobs as a entry level 4th class engineer a few weeks ago for Ft St John advertised on Indeed (I think the companies were Newalta and Enbridge) but they never replied back. Millwright jobs, I have applied plenty for too, but no luck, what is LP?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Check the postings on indeed.ca

Tervita in Fox Creek is looking for an operator with mechanical background. Your millwright ticket would be an asset.

Roska is looking for people at Tee Pee Creek also.

You have a lot better chance of getting a job in a remote location vs the east side of Edmonton (Suncor Refinery). FYI-All Suncor jobs are posted on their main page, may still be some positions available at Fort Hills.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby99ca View Post
Check the postings on indeed.ca

Tervita in Fox Creek is looking for an operator with mechanical background. Your millwright ticket would be an asset.

Roska is looking for people at Tee Pee Creek also.

You have a lot better chance of getting a job in a remote location vs the east side of Edmonton (Suncor Refinery). FYI-All Suncor jobs are posted on their main page, may still be some positions available at Fort Hills.
Thanks a lot stubby99ca, I go on indeed a lot and apply for pretty much every job there! I applied for Tervita (they had a few locations, applied for every location) and Roska too but nothing. I don't know if companies probably prefer operating experience over having a millwright ticket (my class mate in power engineering said I should not put that I have a millwright ticket on my resume as he thinks the companies would think I am not interested in the trade - but my instructor said to leave it in there, so I do)

Thanks for clearing up the Suncor position, I have never seen them advertise for that refinery on there main page (applied for Ft Hills too)

I definitely am open to remote locations and relocating anywhere, as I have no family or kids, so it makes it easy for me to pick up and move anytime and anywhere. I currently live in Calgary, but want to move to Edmonton or somewhere closer to the majority of the plants and refineries. I am applying for any job, even not in the trades, security etc to make the move up north, but don't want to move until I have a secure job to move to.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's positive and constructive replies, I know there are a lot of people that have been or are currently in the same situation as me, and having invested my life savings of about $10,000 into this trade, I really hope it pays off in the end - kind of like a pre-nup! so thank you all
P.s great forum, and I like fishing too!

Last edited by power engineer 76; 06-03-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 PM

Default Building Operations

Go be a Building Operator, lots of jobs, and work inside. It will be great experience should you want to go work in Upperrubberboot Ab in the future.

You will probably start out at a higher wage as well.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Go be a Building Operator, lots of jobs, and work inside. It will be great experience should you want to go work in Upperrubberboot Ab in the future.

You will probably start out at a higher wage as well.
Hey Puma, thanks, have applied been applying for Building Operator jobs too, in Calgary, Edmonton, Ft Mac, but no luck so far. Some of them have been asking for years of HVAC experience, but have applied for all the entry level ones advertised.

Do you by chance know any companies hiring? I totally agree, being a building operator is just as good as working in the other places, as it all counts as work experience and I think, depending on the building equipment, I can get credit towards my 3rd class too (once/if I pass my exams!).
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 PM

Throw your resume in with NES sureflow in bonnyville, they had 2 positions open for power engineering. Not sure how many people have applied for it though. Sad to say, its who you know now a days that gets you the job and not how hard of a worker you are.

My brother in law is a journey man welder of 12+ years and has been out of work for thr last 2. He had a good job lined up but this 18yr old kid fresh out of high school showed up with his Rig consultant of an uncle and got hired on the spot just cause of his connections.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
Throw your resume in with NES sureflow in bonnyville, they had 2 positions open for power engineering. Not sure how many people have applied for it though. Sad to say, its who you know now a days that gets you the job and not how hard of a worker you are.

My brother in law is a journey man welder of 12+ years and has been out of work for thr last 2. He had a good job lined up but this 18yr old kid fresh out of high school showed up with his Rig consultant of an uncle and got hired on the spot just cause of his connections.
Thank you for the tip Chief_Pounderhard, much appreciated, I will definitely apply there.

Have to agree with you, have noticed that there is a lot of nepotism and favoritism going on in industry, which is a real shame, as less experienced applicants get more priority over more qualified people, even in security!

The companies also promote this, when you apply, they ask you if you know anyone who works for the company, which makes it a vicious cycle. Definitely not just an Alberta issue, moved here from the UK four years ago, and it goes on a lot over there too. It's a real shame that this goes on, I hope things pick up for your brother in law.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 PM

What stubby say, try indeed, but I see very few that don't ask for experince.
My 20 yr old son is a year ahead of you, has his 4th, steam lab complete.
He is working steady with one of the safety firms in several Edm area industrial plants.
But they pay fairly low, but he has worked his way up to better pay thru their provided training for scot bottle tech and high angle rescue.
Not bad at $240/day for someone his age. This until a 4th job comes his way.

TBark
Old 06-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
What stubby say, try indeed, but I see very few that don't ask for experince.
My 20 yr old son is a year ahead of you, has his 4th, steam lab complete.
He is working steady with one of the safety firms in several Edm area industrial plants.
But they pay fairly low, but he has worked his way up to better pay thru their provided training for scot bottle tech and high angle rescue.
Not bad at $240/day for someone his age. This until a 4th job comes his way.

TBark
Thank you for your reply TBark, I am mainly on indeed, but also check job bank Workopolis and a few other sites.
$240/day is a lot more than I am making, $15/hr as a security guard (and 41 years old!) so wouldn't mind doing something like that and moving to Edmonton till I get a fourth class job. Did he have to take any special courses before he got hired at the entry level?
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Hi rookiemoosehunter,

I just wanted to ask, do you need a special ticket to work in the SAGD field, or do you start as an operator and get trained in it? I have applied a few places that ask for SAGD experience.
No special ticket other than your Power Engineering ticket needed.
Technically you don't even need a power engineering ticket to work in some units of the plant (EG. Water) but most companies will require you to have one as they like to be able to move the operators around the different units.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
No special ticket other than your Power Engineering ticket needed.
Technically you don't even need a power engineering ticket to work in some units of the plant (EG. Water) but most companies will require you to have one as they like to be able to move the operators around the different units.
Thanks for clearing that up rookiemoosehunter, I think SAGD experience is definitely something worth having.

I have also applied for some water treatment places and was wondering if that is the same deal, a lot of the water places ask for water treatment level 1 or 2 certificates with experience (I think they were waste water treatment, so not sure if that is the same thing), may invest in those courses in the future if it is worth it, but totally broke right now!

Do you also have any contractors at your place? Have applied and submitted my resume for various contractors too, including Bowen, Manpower, NES, and a few other ones too in the chance that I can show I am hardworking, reliable and committed to learning and taking the trade seriously, and maybe even get offered a full time position..

Last edited by power engineer 76; 06-04-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:46 AM

Pay rates at the safety firms are close to ea other.
$180 per day for safety watch/spark watch, $215 for bottle tech, and $240 for rescue.
Check United Safety, HSE Integrated and Safety Boss, there are a few others.
U can move up in rate with a year service, then 2, but my son says people move on to better jobs, not too many people stay.

TBark
Old 06-04-2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up rookiemoosehunter, I think SAGD experience is definitely something worth having.

I have also applied for some water treatment places and was wondering if that is the same deal, a lot of the water places ask for water treatment level 1 or 2 certificates with experience (I think they were waste water treatment, so not sure if that is the same thing), may invest in those courses in the future if it is worth it, but totally broke right now!

Do you also have any contractors at your place? Have applied and submitted my resume for various contractors too, including Bowen, Manpower, NES, and a few other ones too in the chance that I can show I am hardworking, reliable and committed to learning and taking the trade seriously, and maybe even get offered a full time position..
The water treatment certificates you are referring too is different, that's for municipal water treatment (Ex, EPCOR)

We no longer have any contractors where I work but use CBM when we need some.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Banned

Ohhh reading this, I am happy I broke even on the used textbooks I bought and bailed on the course.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:27 AM

PE76, if nothing else pans out apply at the provincial jails. You are working in the field and the pay is much better than $15.hr.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
The water treatment certificates you are referring too is different, that's for municipal water treatment (Ex, EPCOR)

We no longer have any contractors where I work but use CBM when we need some.
Thanks for clearing that up rookiemoosehunter, was a bit confused.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
PE76, if nothing else pans out apply at the provincial jails. You are working in the field and the pay is much better than $15.hr.
Thanks HeavyD111, was thinking of maybe going for the RCMP, but I think they require a certain length of time you have to commit to work with them. I try and stay as far away from jails as possible
Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post
Ohhh reading this, I am happy I broke even on the used textbooks I bought and bailed on the course.
Kind of thinking the same thing patriot1, but I am in too deep financially to give up now, just hope something turns up soon.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Pay rates at the safety firms are close to ea other.
$180 per day for safety watch/spark watch, $215 for bottle tech, and $240 for rescue.
Check United Safety, HSE Integrated and Safety Boss, there are a few others.
U can move up in rate with a year service, then 2, but my son says people move on to better jobs, not too many people stay.

TBark
Thank you TBark, I will definitely look into these companies, closer to being in the trades than security, and maybe I can get a chance to network too.