Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 06:55 PM

Default fly line

hey all just curious to what the life expectancy of fly line is? i mean even with the routine cleaning and wax coating and maintenance of it?
Old 05-23-2017, 05:40 PM

Well I have had mine on for 4 years and no maintenance done to it. I'm not saying that is the best method and I'm sure guys on here will have something to say about that but it still works. I will be buying new line this year tho just need to pass this jman ticket first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM

My floating line is a least 6 yrs old, it is cracked but still floats. So... I'll keep using it, it's a lake line for choronomids under an indicator.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2017, 08:42 PM

I've found that the worst thing affecting the life of a fly line is getting it wrapped around the electric motor prop! Otherwise with regular cleaning and storing it off the reel over the winter, even with heavy use it should last at least 5 to 6 years. I've fixed up a few cracks on some lines with Aquaseal.

Another comment: you should never, ever pay full price for a line. Even the premium ones will be on sale at one time or another.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Fly line life cannot be rated in years.
Several things effect line life:

1) type of fishing - days in small streams may have 25' of line used with a cast every 15 seconds.

2) caster who false casts a lot.

3) water quality - is it silty

4) users ability to keep from stepping on the line

5) when it is used during the year. UV will effect life.

Lines I used for long leader chironomid presentation last about 250 days
Lines I use for small streams 150 days.
Of course, the line life depends on how long it has been made. All lines contain practizers which leach out over time. Lines looked after and keep in a cool dark place may still die within 10 years.

Don
Old 05-25-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Fly line life cannot be rated in years.
Several things effect line life:

1) type of fishing - days in small streams may have 25' of line used with a cast every 15 seconds.

2) caster who false casts a lot.

3) water quality - is it silty

4) users ability to keep from stepping on the line

5) when it is used during the year. UV will effect life.

Lines I used for long leader chironomid presentation last about 250 days
Lines I use for small streams 150 days.
Of course, the line life depends on how long it has been made. All lines contain practizers which leach out over time. Lines looked after and keep in a cool dark place may still die within 10 years.

Don
Don pretty much nails it here...

I will add three other factors affecting fly line life ,,,

1) how much DEET the angler uses on his hands and

2) how much contact the fly line has with petrochemical products like gasoline, diesel, oil etc (greasy, gassy, oily hands included).

3) Grooved rod guides.

Deet and petrochemicals eat away at the line plasticizers,,, these products also cling to flylines attracting dirt which in turn promotes fly line cracking and premature rod guide wear which scars the flyline.

Bottomline is keep your hands clean, clean your fly line often and replace worn grooved rod guides if you want your fly lines to last longer.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:27 PM

Default Fly Line Longevity

I had both tropics line and cold water, dry fly line in storage for over 10 years (limited use on tropics, 1 week every 3 years) and running line, never used, and no observable cracks or degradation in the line. Used these lines this year and last and no issues.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishchrism46 View Post
I had both tropics line and cold water, dry fly line in storage for over 10 years (limited use on tropics, 1 week every 3 years) and running line, never used, and no observable cracks or degradation in the line. Used these lines this year and last and no issues.
Cool storage outta the sun?

Don
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Does sun screen affect fly lines? I use stuff formulated for kids but it still feels greasy.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Does sun screen affect fly lines? I use stuff formulated for kids but it still feels greasy.
Anything that makes a fly line greasy and sticky will attract dirt. Dirty fly lines do not cast as well nor do they last as long.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:51 AM

To answer your question presume 10 years for quality stuff. I have some SA 8wt that is over 15 years old, no cracks. smooth as a baby's butt and still use it. Plasticizers will deteriorate over time so limited UV and keeping them clean and supple is key. Expected the cheaper stuff to go bad sooner. Line used in the tropics or salt should be freshwater cleaned before storage.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM

most of my lines are Airflo and they seem to hold u extremely well, despite heavy use and me stepping on them.....

I've also got some cheaper lines that I burn through fairly quickly

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 05-28-2017, 03:14 PM

I am finding I need to replace even expensive dry fly lines every 2 to 3 years due to cracking. Yet I have an old SA sinking line I have been using for more than 15 years, and it still works fine. I always clean my line after every trip. It can be amazing how fast line can build up dirt if left unclean.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
most of my lines are Airflo and they seem to hold u extremely well, despite heavy use and me stepping on them.....

I've also got some cheaper lines that I burn through fairly quickly
ALL of my lines are Airflo,hands down the most durable lines out there,in no small part because AirFlo lines use a polyurethane coating vs. the PVC coating that all other flyline mfrs use with plasticizer additives.
PVC is brittle,and as these plasticizers leach out over time and use,the line coating becomes weak and brittle and cracks.
I have AirFlo lines with hundreds of days of use over several seasons that look almost brand new.
I would conservatively guess that AirFlo's lines last at least 3x longer then the closest competitor.