Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 12:26 AM
Banned

Default What's the most you've ever spent on an office renovation?

Whatever your answer was...it's wrong.

Congratulations. You as a Canadian taxpayer, just spent $1.1 million on an office renovation. For Patty Hajdu, the Status of Women Minister.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/12..._13692642.html

Quote:
OTTAWA — Status of Women Minister Patty Hajdu approved a $1.1-million price tag to build a new suite of offices for herself and her staff earlier this year, even though she was told the cost might raise some eyebrows.

Hajdu wanted her new office to be in the same building as the rest of the agency — located at 22 Eddy St. in Gatineau, Que., according to documents obtained by The Canadian Press through the Access to Information Act.

Those documents also show that senior management fast-tracked the expensive renovation project to get her there, even before knowing how they would pay for it.

Before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau appointed a full-time status of women minister — part of his commitment to gender equality around the cabinet table — there had been no need for an office of that size in the building.

Hajdu chose to have the new offices built instead of renovating a space at the building housing Canadian Heritage, the department that contains the Status of Women Canada agency within its portfolio, the documents indicate.

That option would have cost about $400,000, with a much earlier completion date and a location directly across the street, but emails suggest it was never seriously considered.

According to notes from a Jan. 19 telephone call where the issue was discussed, Meena Ballantyne — the head of the agency and essentially the deputy minister — responded: "The minister has a right to have a nice office close to her dept.''

On a conference call the next day, Ballantyne pointed out that Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi was also getting a new office.

That office ended up costing about $835,000, which had the Conservatives going on the attack against the Liberals this spring.

There were other issues with the project.

Emails show that Hajdu, who got the job on Nov. 4, 2015, wanted to be able to move into the new space by the end of January 2016 at the latest, a timeline that officials feared was unrealistic.

There appeared to be some incredulity on her side too: early in the process, the documents indicate, Hajdu remarked, "It takes less time to build a house.''

The space also had to be redesigned a few times, in part because the plans were drawn up before the chief of staff had even figured out how many people would be working closely with the minister.

Please, take a moment, subordinate worker and bask in the new governmental efficiencies that will be introduced by this wondrous investment in our glorious Status of Women Minister who ensures women have the right amount of status in the misogynistic abyss that is Canada!!

I just want to emphasize this justification given by agency head, Ballantyne:

On a conference call the next day, Ballantyne pointed out that Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi was also getting a new office.

Did any of you ever try a similar line of reasoning with your mom or dad when you were, oh I don't know, about 7 or 8 years old??

These people are spending millions of dollars renovating offices for crying out loud!! Of OUR money!! The "cheap" option was $400,000. (which she didn't even consider of course)

These people aren't kings and queens! They are our employees. Low level, moronic employees, that likely couldn't get work in the real world other than lobbying government for more of our money.

This country is billions of dollars in deficit beyond what boy wonder promised only one short year ago. And this weasel (and others) are running us deeper into the hole and robbing us blind.

Last edited by rugatika; 12-19-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM

I wonder how much carbon these clowns produced while creating useless office space!

Ridiculous doesn't seem descriptive enough!

BW
Old 12-19-2016, 10:15 AM

Rug, Please try to keep your blood pressure at a reasonable level as you are a valued contributor to this forum. This crap will not stop for the duration. I use this stuff to pizz off my liberal friends and get their neck veins throbbing.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Have a look at some of these MD and County offices that have been built in the last 5 years in our province. Same idea.

It wont stop under our new great leaders.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
These people aren't kings and queens! They are our employees. Low level, moronic employees, that likely couldn't get work in the real world other than lobbying government for more of our money.

This country is billions of dollars in deficit beyond what boy wonder promised only one short year ago. And this weasel (and others) are running us deeper into the hole and robbing us blind.
Now, now - don't get your knickers in a twist... They're "creating jobs", which will increase taxes paid, which works with the "self-balancing budget" - right?! Just because it has been proven over and over again in the past that unnecessary government projects do nothing to improve the overall economy is no reason whatsoever to not let each newly elected government use the same tired lack-of-reasoning to justify their own turn at the trough...

Honestly, I'm not sure if I am more sickened by the creation of such a ridiculous ministry or by the instant abuse of the power of the position shown by this "office renovation". Apparently the widespread societal discrimination against us ladies hasn't held us back from learning how to use and abuse the system just as well as any of you misogynist males...
Old 12-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
Have a look at some of these MD and County offices that have been built in the last 5 years in our province. Same idea.

It wont stop under our new great leaders.
Yes, I've been preaching against the use of public dollars to build these "monuments" to politicians for years. Schools, gov't offices, etc etc etc. A giant waste of money we don't have, and that someone has had stolen from them to fund these ego inflaters.

I see people railing against others that live in expensive homes etc...at least they are paying for them with their own money.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 PM

Well personally, I am just shocked and surprised to see this happening under a Liberal Trudeau government. Who would have thought there would be abuse, extravagant spending on useless positions, entitlement, and a complete lack of accountability, or understanding of fiscal responsibility or management by a Feel Good Government? Sunny ways, comrade! My understanding was that the budget was going to balance itself, everyone was going back to work, our taxes would be lower, the Climate would be fixed with carbon taxation (or a 'pollution tax' as McKenna calls it), and we were all getting a rainbow unicorn with every rebate cheque. Shocked. If you could only imagine my disillusionment.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 PM

Department of National Defence recently did a 'small' office renovation. Modified 4 cubicles. Bill was 100K
Old 12-19-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Department of National Defence recently did a 'small' office renovation. Modified 4 cubicles. Bill was 100K
Soon as you say Government, the price skyrockets. Not without reason at times, their convoluted specs and ways of doing things drive cost.

Grizz
Old 12-19-2016, 03:17 PM

My main thought is what do these people do all day while at work? What does she and her staff even do to fill 40 hour (if that) work weeks? The $1.1 upgrade isn't even what is so insulting to me, but the fact she makes $247,500 a year is hugely insulting.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Soon as you say Government, the price skyrockets. Not without reason at times, their convoluted specs and ways of doing things drive cost.

Grizz
Not necessarily true. Many of my jobs are government related, and bids can be pretty competitive. Most departments that I have experience with are on a budget and will shop around.

One thing that drives me insane is that they spec the cheapest materials, but then spend a fortune maintaining them. I did a price comparison with supply, install and maintain over a 15 year period. Option A cost $150,000 to supply and install, but over the 15 year period total cost was $1.2m. Option B cost $450,000 to supply and install, but after 15 years that number only increased to $650,000. They went with Option A, because the initial cost of Option B was too high.

There is no long term accountability, what I see happening is the people in charge of budgeting on the department level are 3-5 years away from retiring so any long term benefit is trumped by low initial cost.

Last edited by Newview01; 12-19-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
My main thought is what do these people do all day while at work? .

Try and make our lives as miserable as possible.