Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 03:46 PM

Default Entire front end repair (vehicle Gurus)

Has anyone tackled a entire front end job before on a truck to save money? My cv axel went this morning, and on further inspecting it looks i will need a whole front end job done soon. (upper/lower control arm, Inner tie rod, shocks, cam bolts etc..)

I was wondering if someone with above average mechanic knowledge will be able to take this job on by himself or with maybe a friend and 60oz of five star whiskey over a weekend? just curious on your guys thoughts. i also have tones of data and youtube at my disposal... lol

the only thing i wont be able to do is the wheel alignment. I'm basically trying to save a few bucks lol. I have a 2008 chevy 2500HD 6.0L vortec
Old 12-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
Has anyone tackled a entire front end job before on a truck to save money? My cv axel went this morning, and on further inspecting it looks i will need a whole front end job done soon. (upper/lower control arm, Inner tie rod, shocks, cam bolts etc..)

I was wondering if someone with above average mechanic knowledge will be able to take this job on by himself or with maybe a friend and 60oz of five star whiskey over a weekend? just curious on your guys thoughts. i also have tones of data and youtube at my disposal... lol

the only thing i wont be able to do is the wheel alignment. I'm basically trying to save a few bucks lol. I have a 2008 chevy 2500HD 6.0L vortec
Front end/suspension work definitely needs someone proficient with a 60 pounder of 5*Whiskey ,,,
Old 12-19-2016, 04:32 PM

It's completely possible but be forewarned the nut on the pitman arm isn't for the faint of heart or guys with Motomaster hobby air compressors.

If I recall correctly its around 600 foot pounds. Getting it off is easy just a gigantic snipe with a 35mm or so socket. Getting it back on and the pitman set to the steering gear requires mucho air power.

Been there and done that. I just shake my head when I see guys with torsion bars cranked on those trucks. Minus well invest in a company that makes ball joints as you will destroy them as fast as you can put them in.

Good Luck.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 PM

If you've got a place to work and the tools its not too bad a job, fairly straight forward. As was stated the pitman arm can be a pain sometimes, have you checked to see if it needs replacing? The rest of the stuff you listed is all quite do-able with basic hand tools and some time. If you've got a handy friend to lend a hand,so much the better. Only special tools you'll likely need is a ball joint press/kit if your doing lower ball joints.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM

I do this kind of work all the time. Not close enough to you to be of assistance.
Big hammer, splitter fork, press, and air tools. It would be more than a 60 lber.
Those hd lower ball joints can be tought.

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:13 PM

If you're doing everything else, replace you're shocks while you're at it. Decent quality like Bilstien, you can thank me later.