Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Banned

Default Autism linked to Vit D deficiency during pregnancy

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...searchers-find

Quote:
The important role vitamin D plays in early life is back in the spotlight after Australian researchers noticed a link between a deficiency during pregnancy and autism.

The study found pregnant women with low vitamin D levels at 20 weeks’ gestation were more likely to have a child with autistic traits by the age of six.

The finding has led to calls for the widespread use of vitamin D supplements during pregnancy, just as taking folate has reduced the incidence of spina bifida in the community.

Vit D deficiency also linked to the increase in allergies.

http://www.australianallergycentre.c...-food-allergy/

Quote:
Allen et al. (2013) performed a population-based cohort study to assess the vitamin D and food allergy status of 577 infants, 11 to 15 months of age, living within Melbourne, Australia, between September 2007 and August 2011. Of the infants enrolled within the study, 344 were identified to have an oral food challenge-proven food allergy, 74 infants were food sensitive but tolerant on oral food challenge, and 159 were neither food allergic nor sensitised as determined by negative skin ***** tests and oral food challenges.

Upon measuring the serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels of these infants, it was discovered the infants of Australian-born parents, with vitamin D insufficiency, were 3 times more likely to be egg allergic and 11 times more likely to be peanut allergic, than infants with adequate vitamin D levels. Vitamin D insufficiency was also shown to increase the likelihood of food sensitivity progressing into allergy, and the risk infants would develop more than one food allergy. Though the same results were not seen for infants of parents born outside of Australia, this study provides direct evidence of vitamin D as a protective factor for food allergy development early in life (Allen et al., 2013).
Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 AM

I have a MD friend who is very pro vitamin D. We simply don't get enough effective sunlight to make up for it, especially in the winter in AB. Interesting stuff
Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM

Interesting link. This should be plastered all over our National broadcasting system instead of the usual drivel.

One would wonder if this is true, would their be coorelation with higher incidence of allergies and autism in lower income familes or areas with less healthcare/pregnancy support.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I have a MD friend who is very pro vitamin D. We simply don't get enough effective sunlight to make up for it, especially in the winter in AB. Interesting stuff
Doctors are Pushing Vit D huge on women these days.
Every appointment I go to I get reminded to take it.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy has also been suspected to be linked to MS.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 AM

3000 iu's per day for me The Wife takes 5000iu's per day on Dr's recommendation.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Default Mom was right?

So my mom was right giving me Cod Liver Oil when I was a kid? Who would of thunk it? Man that stuff tasted awful.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:25 AM
Banned

Default Who knew

Mother's are never wrong!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:57 AM

A lack of Vitamin D during pregnancy might turn the kid into a SJW too
Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 PM

A Pharmacist friend of mine said that there's talk in his field that up to 9000iu's (or more) is now being looked at as upper limit, in order to manage some of the challenges due to Vit. D deficiency. Apparently, Health Canada is being heavily petitioned to consider upping the allowable max dose in one pill, which I think is 1000iu's in Canada vs. the USA where you can buy up to 5000iu pills.

Here's a link to an article looking at the low and high end reported safe dosage.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle23672033/

The article indicates that 4000iu's seem to be fine - with going higher as needed based on health concerns. Right now I'm at 2000iu/day but may up it for the winter.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 PM

Huh, and I thought vaccines caused autism, I'm pretty sure I read it on the internet somewhere.....

Anyway, interesting you bring this up, there was a program on just the other night on Fifth Estate that addressed the claims and efficacy of 'natural supplements' etc, and how unregulated the 'health' industry really is. Part of the program dealt with how mega doses of any vitamin can be very counterproductive to good health, with Vitamin C, E, and D being addressed specifically. I think Health Canada currently places the recommended daily allowance for D at 600 Units? Anyway, it was a very interesting show with some good information, some that I would call questionable. The episode on Youtube is here:

Edit: Pure North S'Energy is mentioned specifically and are interviewed on the Fifth Estate show, as mentioned in the article posted above by Spidey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFu8GA-elc

Personally, I think that eating healthy, getting excercise, and moderate living is probably the best thing for good health, and a positive mental outlook. Of course our Government at the Federal and Provincial level make being positive difficult, but maybe they can put a tax on Negative thinking and Emotions, in order to improve our health?

Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
A Pharmacist friend of mine said that there's talk in his field that up to 9000iu's (or more) is now being looked at as upper limit, in order to manage some of the challenges due to Vit. D deficiency. Apparently, Health Canada is being heavily petitioned to consider upping the allowable max dose in one pill, which I think is 1000iu's in Canada vs. the USA where you can buy up to 5000iu pills.

Here's a link to an article looking at the low and high end reported safe dosage.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle23672033/

The article indicates that 4000iu's seem to be fine - with going higher as needed ba'sed on health concerns. Right now I'm at 2000iu/day but may up it for the winter.
I researched this a couple years ago after a blood test showed I was slightly vit D deficient, and 10,000IU's per day was monitored in one study (over only 6 months I think?) with no disccernible detrimental effects. I usually take a "handful" most days. Roughly 4000 to 8000IU.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Huh, and I thought vaccines caused autism, I'm pretty sure I read it on the internet somewhere.....

Anyway, interesting you bring this up, there was a program on just the other night on Fifth Estate that addressed the claims and efficacy of 'natural supplements' etc, and how unregulated the 'health' industry really is. Part of the program dealt with how mega doses of any vitamin can be very counterproductive to good health, with Vitamin C, E, and D being addressed specifically. I think Health Canada currently places the recommended daily allowance for D at 600 Units? Anyway, it was a very interesting show with some good information, some that I would call questionable. The episode on Youtube is here:

Edit: Pure North S'Energy is mentioned specifically and are interviewed on the Fifth Estate show, as mentioned in the article posted above by Spidey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmFu8GA-elc

Personally, I think that eating healthy, getting excercise, and moderate living is probably the best thing for good health, and a positive mental outlook. Of course our Government at the Federal and Provincial level make being positive difficult, but maybe they can put a tax on Negative thinking and Emotions, in order to improve our health?

Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas.....
People are always looking for simple solutions, they don't usually find them.

Grizz
Old 12-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Sounds like another plot by big pharma to blow sunshine up our skirts.

What's next, vaccinations taking the place of chanting in preventive medicine???

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM

While these are interesting studies, they are only showing some correlation within the population of their very limited study sizes, and don't have anywhere near enough supporting data to even suggest causation. Hopefully it is enough to generate funding for more extensive studies that can corroborate the initial findings and expand on them.

The majority of studies on serum Vitamin D levels that I have seen seem to show some correlation between low serum levels and a plethora of conditions or diseases (including colon and breast cancer), but have not been able to indicate whether it is a contributing cause or an effect. Due to the fears of skin cancer, there is also a dearth of available research on whether there is a discernible difference between study participants who rely on supplemental Vitamin D to reach "healthy" levels and those who maintain those levels via diet and natural synthesis of Vitamin D from sunlight (researchers in the West cannot legally expose their study participants to the "known" dangers of sun exposure).

Realistically, the correlation shown in small, preliminary studies such as these could just as accurately be ascribed to insufficient animal products in the diet along with insufficient exposure to natural sunlight and environmental factors such as dust, pollen, etc. In other words - increases in autism and allergies have been noted since people started eating more processed plant foods and spending more time indoors. Whether the increases in disease are caused by the resulting lower levels of serum Vitamin D, or whether that is just another symptom of some as yet unknown physical requirement for animal products / natural sunlight / outdoor exposure has yet to be determined, but it is an interesting field of study.

Another correlation that should be studied is the fact that Vitamin D is fat stored, and so requires sufficient dietary fat to be properly synthesized naturally or to be stored from supplementation. The whole "low fat" dietary focus of the past how many decades could certainly be a contributing factor to the higher incidence of low serum Vitamin D --- and would be an interesting irony if that were found to be a highly contributing factor to higher incidences of autism, allergies, and other diseases.

Personally, I spend as much time outside as possible, make sure to have some time without sunscreen, eat a well-rounded diet of animal and plant foods, and only supplement the minimum required if blood-work indicates a deficiency. I prefer not to line the pockets of supplement manufacturers when there is, in my opinion, the much better option of just eating better and getting outside. I gotta admit that I also like the fact that there is no danger of overdosing when not using supplements!