Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Banned

Cool Interesting Concept to Increase Predator Hunting

South Carolina Legislature Passes Coyote Bounty Program Over Governor’s Veto

Thanks to some last minute work in the state legislature, South Carolina now has a coyote bounty program.

Though Governor Nikki Haley originally vetoed the South Carolina coyote bounty bill after it passed the House and Senate, lawmakers made some minor modifications to the bill and overrode her veto.

Under the new plan approved by the legislature, the Department of Natural Resources will capture, neuter, tag, and then release 16 coyotes (4 in each of the state’s game zones). With a concept similar to the “golden tickets” from Willie Wonka’s chocolate factory, any hunter who kills one of these tagged coyotes would receive a free lifetime hunting license (an approximately $300 value).

The idea behind the new program is to increase the number of coyote hunters in the state by giving them a chance to receive such a significant reward for killing one of the tagged coyotes.

Governor Haley voiced her concern with the original coyote bounty plan by saying that it did not make sense for the state to be capturing coyotes and releasing them back into the wild. However, the new plan appears to at least partly address that problem by preventing the released coyotes from reproducing.

The new coyote bounty program is scheduled to begin this summer, so it looks like the coyote population in South Carolina could potentially be in for a rough few months as more hunters hit the woods in order to take advantage of the coyote bounty.
Coyotes are not native to South Carolina and started appearing in the state during the 1970s. Coyotes are now present in all 46 counties in the state and kill untold numbers of fawns as well as pet dogs and cats each year.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/breaki...overnors-veto/

Methinks this kind of plan might work rather well with the wolf situation in BC and Alberta. Of course it might incite the anti's a fair bit, but then again any action directed towards wolves generally seems to. I know I'd certainly like the option of gunning for a Lifetime Hunting License!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-18-2016, 07:08 PM

And the PETA types get ****ed about coyote derbies. This should really get them excited.

Grizz
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Reminds me of the joke about the Sierra Club wanting to neuter the male wolves...

What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again.

This was ACTUALLY proposed by the Sierra Club and by the U.S. Forest Service. All of the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes. Finally an old fellow in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said: "Son, I don't think you understand our problem here … These coyotes ain't F---ing our sheep - they're eatin' 'em!"

Hey, if it works for them in South Carolina I say good on them !

Rob
Old 06-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Nice, save a deer shoot a kiyoot!!!! They will never get eradicated. Be cool to put kiyoots in the B&C books, make the entry crazy high. And look out. A pope and young coyote has a ring to it ; -()
Old 06-18-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Reminds me of the joke about the Sierra Club wanting to neuter the male wolves...

What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again.

This was ACTUALLY proposed by the Sierra Club and by the U.S. Forest Service. All of the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of minutes. Finally an old fellow in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said: "Son, I don't think you understand our problem here … These coyotes ain't F---ing our sheep - they're eatin' 'em!"

Hey, if it works for them in South Carolina I say good on them !

Rob
Think they actually did this in BC. about 20 years ago. Caught some male wolves, flew em to a central location for the operation, then dropped them off again. Cost in those days was 1500. per wolf.

Grizz