Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2013, 10:55 AM

Default Windsheild repair in Edmonton

Got a pinhead sized stone chip in my windshield yesterday. It hasn't started to crack yet so I want to get it fixed before it does.

I see all these tents set up at various parking lots etc. doing chip repair but don't remember any names.

Are some better than others? Or is the best place to go an actual glass shop (ie: Crystal etc)?

Thanks.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 08-31-2013, 11:23 AM

I had one done a number of years ago by the guys in the tent in the CT parking lot, it has held up well. They all probably use a similar/same process? I think the key to a successful repair is to get it done ASAP. If you can't get it fixed right away put a small piece of clear tape over it to keep dirt and moisture out of it.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:38 PM

1. I took my wife's Honda Civic to Crystal Glass on the south side by Wholesale Sports and they did a really crap job on a small stone chip in the windshield. The guy drilled a hole that was huge and didn't even fill it properly. A bit of the crack is still there and the huge drill hole shows up like a sore thumb.

2. I took my Honda Odyssey to Brightview Glass on 51 Ave to fix a small chip near the bottom of the windshield and when the guy was drilling the chip, he cracked the windshield from the chip upwards about 12". I was pi**ed right off. All he said to me was he will give me a quote on a new windshield.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
1. I took my wife's Honda Civic to Crystal Glass on the south side by Wholesale Sports and they did a really crap job on a small stone chip in the windshield. The guy drilled a hole that was huge and didn't even fill it properly. A bit of the crack is still there and the huge drill hole shows up like a sore thumb.

2. I took my Honda Odyssey to Brightview Glass on 51 Ave to fix a small chip near the bottom of the windshield and when the guy was drilling the chip, he cracked the windshield from the chip upwards about 12". I was pi**ed right off. All he said to me was he will give me a quote on a new windshield.
It wasn't the guys fault it cracked when he was drilling it. It happens.
I used to do chip repair years ago and once cracked a brand new Jags windshield. Those cost around $2500 at the time because they had a heating element (like rear windows only smaller wires) sandwiched between the layers of glass.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:40 AM

See owner Mario at Benchmark glass on 111 Ave (near Fountain Tire).
Avid hunter who does a great job.
RBH