Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Default Need a New Digital Camera for Wildlife Pic's

Any suggestions. I want to take great pictures, have a decent zoom and telephoto lens, BUT I am so cheap I would squeeze a nickel until the beaver squeaked!

What is the best brand and lens combo for $750 or less? Also need simple. I am only one camera past an old 35mm Minolta and have trouble with any gadget more complicated than a toaster........

A remote would be nice too.

I never took alot of pictures to begin with what with F stops, shutter speed etc. In most cases I had a safeway disposable.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Unhappy

I have a Cannon T 2i for sale if you would like it. Great camera and comes with lens, camera bag, battery maybe a couple extras. Pm me if you're interested. Save you a few hundred dollars.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Look into a Cannon G15.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 AM

I just picked up a Cannon Powershot XS50HS
Fantastic zoom ability and great pics
Its a kick azz point and shoot
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Any suggestions. I want to take great pictures, have a decent zoom and telephoto lens, BUT I am so cheap I would squeeze a nickel until the beaver squeaked!

What is the best brand and lens combo for $750 or less? Also need simple. I am only one camera past an old 35mm Minolta and have trouble with any gadget more complicated than a toaster........

I never took alot of pictures to begin with what with F stops, shutter speed etc. In most cases I had a safeway disposable.
No offence meant, but given how you describe yourself ^, spending $750 on a camera system could be a waste money.

You might be better off spending about half that amount (or less) on a 'good' quality point-and-shoot camera that has a long zoom lens.

One of many examples ... http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...DMC_TZ40_ZS30/

TF
Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM

You can get a great t4i combo or maybe even a t5i for that price.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Try out Costco they have great cameras for a good price.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
No offence meant, but given how you describe yourself ^, spending $750 on a camera system could be a waste money.

You might be better off spending about half that amount (or less) on a 'good' quality point-and-shoot camera that has a long zoom lens.

TF
None taken. It was a little self deprecating humor. I'm not a complete Luddite. After snooping around this morning I think I can find something that will work.

To all who responded thanks for the comments. Going to go look at a few Canon's
Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 PM

I am no professional. That being said I have owned an SLR/DSLR since 1996.

An SLR camera is miles ahead of point & shoot in quality of pictures even in auto mode.

I currently have a 4 year old Nikon D60 with two lenses. A few days back a coworker of mine was showing me his Sony SLR camera. It has the ability to take 10 continuous shots and combine them into one. He took pictures of guys playing ping pong in employee room and the ball came out nice and clear.

I am thinking it will be an awesome feature for moving targets/action shots. Probably a good idea to have a look at that one before you make your decision.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiwana View Post
I am no professional. That being said I have owned an SLR/DSLR since 1996.

An SLR camera is miles ahead of point & shoot in quality of pictures even in auto mode.

I currently have a 4 year old Nikon D60 with two lenses. A few days back a coworker of mine was showing me his Sony SLR camera. It has the ability to take 10 continuous shots and combine them into one. He took pictures of guys playing ping pong in employee room and the ball came out nice and clear.

I am thinking it will be an awesome feature for moving targets/action shots. Probably a good idea to have a look at that one before you make your decision.
Strongly disagree, a 500 dollar point and shoot will take better quality pic's than a 750 dollar DSLR set up all day long. A decent SLR lens starts at 500 bucks, a decent zoom starts at about 700. High end point and shoots have come a long way and unless you are blowing pic's up to poster size you will not notice a difference. And that 750 dollar DSLR set up is a long way from poster size as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-12-2013, 05:12 PM

It's not the camera body thats important...its the lens! You are better to cheap out some on the body, buy a second hand one and then put more into a good lens. You will be far better off in the end.

Before buying into one brand of cameras take a look at the lenses available for that brand and the prices....they do differ.

As far as point and shoots, there are some very good quality ones, and they will produce pics that will be as good as a DSLR, especially a DSLR with a crap lens on the front of it. I have a Sony RX100 and I would put it up again any of the non-pro DSLR's when it comes to quality of the pics it produces. The "super zoom" point and shoots are as good however, so dont expect to grab one of them and think it will give you excellent wildlife shots....
Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Find a cheap used dslr and a used 70-200f/4. Might be a tall task for $750 but if you look around and not itching to buy right away you won't totally blow the budget.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM

I have seen Cannon rebels with a bag full lenses go for under $400 in very good allmost unused condition...

I used a Nikkon coolpix point and shoot when I was a water tender in BC, no time to setup anything fancy, tons of action on the line and you gotta be quick to catch it....

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 05-12-2013, 08:34 PM

be helpful to understand when you say wildlife shots, what specifically are we talking. birds in flight, animals standing etc. problem with P&S is shutter lag, if standing not a biggie and there are some great point and shoots for under $700 worthy and probably a better option. Unfortunately it is a whole different ball game when shooting action wildlife shots, for that price point, not allot of viable options unless you want to do video.

Harv had a good point, bodies come and go and depreciate, you can get a couple year older technology for a fraction of the price if you know where to look, but lenses, don't cheap out, and if pampered you wont loose value. Used a 500mm f4 IS lens and sold it 5 years later for more than what I bought it for, prices go up. but then again costs you on the other hand when replacing. its a terrible hobby to get into, nothing cheap about wildlife photography lol
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerFinger View Post
No offence meant, but given how you describe yourself ^, spending $750 on a camera system could be a waste of money.

TF
Quote:
None taken. It was a little self deprecating humor. I'm not a complete Luddite. After snooping around this morning I think I can find something that will work.

To all who responded thanks for the comments. Going to go look at a few Canon's

Not sure why you would start a thread by asking a reasonable question, but then provide us with such erroneous, misleading information about yourself.

Makes one wonder if this thread is just a little joke to you ... wasting all our time

TF
Old 05-13-2013, 01:00 AM

Pentax dslr k-m or k30, with 75-300mm.
Accepts all the older lenses to give you a wide variety of film glass, save money,
great warranty,
some models are fully waterproof.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Bought a nikon D3000 kit a few years ago. Love the camera, the pictures are awesome it takes. Still have the stock lense but looking at getting a better one that can zoom in more.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I use a canon rebel xs eos cameral..70-300mm image stabilizer lens and it takes great pics..good little camera,only downside is it does not do movies..I had to get a different camera for that..check the rebels out,good quality,easy to use,great pics!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

If you take a lot of photos, spend a bit more and get a Nikon 18-200mm and a used body. You will likely never need anything else.

If you don't take a lot of photos, find yourself a decent point and shoot.

I would put your money into glass as opposed to high technology.

Good glass holds it's value in the resale market. (This is where your beaver squeezin comes in.)

Old point and shoots eventually end up in a drawer.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 AM

You can use canon L series for take pictures. It will give you better results in future.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Used a 500mm f4 IS lens and sold it 5 years later
I'm curious to know Pixel, Where' did you go from there. Did you go with the II, bigger or smaller. Getting ready to pick on up in october. It's a big decision for me.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

I have a Fuji SL6000 point & shoot. I am one of those people who forgets what the instructions said, because I am so long between sessions of using it. In fact, I'm not sure where they are anymore. It was about 500.00, about 8 yrs ago. If I do my part, it takes pretty decent pics, when I remember to drag it out and take them in the first place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuck's first hunt 005.jpg (121.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg duck hunt 10-12-12 004.jpg (90.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg tucker's spot 001.jpg (51.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by 32-40win; 09-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.