Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
It's not me that the thread is referring to, its more so my co workers. I get a raise every year as I am an apprentice (forgot to mention that). But as I am an apprentice they don't include me in the 3% raise if it were to happen. They didn't even back pay me after I finished school last year lol

Almost everyone asks at one point or another and the reason is always "we're working on it" lol
Apprentice's rate is based on the percentage of the journeyman rate, you should still get included in a cost of living raise. As far as back pay, they only have to give you a bump up in pay when they get proof of your completion of your apprenticeship level. Depending on your relationship you have with your employer will show if they will gamble on you passing before seeing marks.

I get a raise once a year if we're lucky but I do get treated well and I have some perks that make up for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan_357 View Post
Apprentice's rate is based on the percentage of the journeyman rate, you should still get included in a cost of living raise. As far as back pay, they only have to give you a bump up in pay when they get proof of your completion of your apprenticeship level. Depending on your relationship you have with your employer will show if they will gamble on you passing before seeing marks.

I get a raise once a year if we're lucky but I do get treated well and I have some perks that make up for it.
Actually it's based on the rate of which a company were to hire an inexperienced journeyman. So if my journeyman was making 38/hr but the company says that they would hire a new journeyman for 33/hr they could base my wag off of the 33.

I agree that I should be included in the cost of living raise but that only ever happens every 5 years it seems. I don't really care to much as I probably won't be there for very much longer lol The only thing that burns me is the backpay thing. I know they didn't have to do it, but I was the only one in my class who didn't get it
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Banned

In negotiations right now, usually 3% a year.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Just settled our contract, 3.95% for 2012, 3.95% for 2013 and 3.58% for 2014
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM

I think we get 2% or less and a bonus of 2% or so.... its like 4% or so without having to commit to higher wages if the market for our product is soft.

Inflation calculated by 1970's standards is something like 10% or so.

I make double what I made 10 years ago but I have less money it seems and my retirement interest collection is a joke.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Actually it's based on the rate of which a company were to hire an inexperienced journeyman. So if my journeyman was making 38/hr but the company says that they would hire a new journeyman for 33/hr they could base my wag off of the 33.

I agree that I should be included in the cost of living raise but that only ever happens every 5 years it seems. I don't really care to much as I probably won't be there for very much longer lol The only thing that burns me is the backpay thing. I know they didn't have to do it, but I was the only one in my class who didn't get it
The company you work for makes a profit off you! You in turn get experience from them. Both of you are investing in each other. But it sounds like they're taking advantage of it! Good tradesmen and apprentices are rare now days and I would expect the company to realize that and provide proper rewards! Personally I would move on. I never put up with any garbage since I started working and I have been rewarded because of it. Best of luck!
Old 09-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Recruiters and head hunters claim? that the average wage increase obtained from a new job is 17%. IMHE networking is the most effective way to obtain a better position. I suggest that it is more effective to direct your effort to obtaining a new/better job rather than begging for a raise from your existing position. Once you have a firm offer you are in an excellent negotiating position with your current employer.

Good luck, YMMV.