Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 PM

Default 360 Camera

I’ve started looking at the 360 cameras and am considering getting one. Ideally I’d like to get a waterproof or at least water resistant one so I can hook it to the side of the kayak while out. Maybe catch a fish on 360 video as well. That would be the secondary function though and would mainly be to get some nice photo spheres and short videos of places I visit with my kids. Does anyone have any experience with these and how well they work (and what to stay away from)? It’s good to read all the specs but I would like some real use info to back up things like battery life and function in real world conditions. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:07 PM

No experience myself some friends in the pro motorcycle circles are using the Rylo and have had good things to say about it. Videos look good too. Not much info, I know. But maybe one to look at.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 PM

I have a couple- gear 360 and a 'cyborg' I think it is called, have to go out and try them some more. I bought them for drones but never used them.
I will likely put them on the golf cart and go for a burn, see which is better.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 PM

I have an “Insta 360”. Haven’t used it a whole lot but the image quality is good. It does video as well and it has some neat features to play with as well. They make a waterproof case for it but I don’t have it so I can’t comment on it. It will plug directly into your phone, at least iPhone, and you can control it there, direct download to your phone etc. It can also be remotely triggered from the phone as well.
Take note on how each one shares the images. I know I have to open the images either in the app or on Facebook for them to work correctly.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. There are so many options out there and the more I look the more features I find. I’m starting to think this is one of those items I need to start somewhere and then upgrade as I actually start using it more.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:00 PM

My students and I just started working with 360 vids. We’re using a Rico camera and it ports nicely to the Adobe Premiere Pro pkg.

Don’t know about underwater shots. We’re going to do drone shots and skiier shots next winter.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-26-2019, 11:59 AM

this reminds me, i had a insta360 that i didnt even get a chance to used yet, was planning to mount it on a helmet and go hunting with it.