Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 09:31 AM

Default New Telus contract- Bell didn't make the cut

The latest Business offer from Bell is unlimited North America calling and texting, 10gb data with no roaming charges, use data in the States without additional charge, get new Galaxy S10+ 512GB on a 2 year contract for $105 with a $100 down payment, they give back $200 for bringing a Telus # to them (porting); $40/mo over 5 months and $50 in-store credit which I think I can talk into $100 for case, cig lighter charger, etc.

Called Telus- best they would do is $135 per month on a 128gb phone, (easy payment plan) no credits back, have to pay roaming charges down South. AND- the phone is on a bring-it-back which means if you do not return it in perfect shape or want to keep it, you incur another charge. LOL

I have had the same # with Telus since 1994. It is a fight every time.

Is BELL treating you right?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 08-18-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Yes, I switched to bell. Overages are more money. Thier automated system as well as agents are slightly more infuriating than telus. But you will have the same cell coverage as telus, they share towers. My bell, is better than the telus app
Old 08-18-2019, 10:46 AM

I've been having problems with Telus was thinking of switching to Bell the other day phone Bell they transferred me five times to try to get me to Alberta Bell still couldn't do it I hung up told them I'm staying with Telus

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 11:09 AM

I was with Bell for many, many years. Have also been with Telus.

Ken, if it’s an option for you skip them both and go with Sasktel.

I have the unlimited everything plan and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM

I would love to Tool, but having had the same number for 25 years, having to switch all cheques, business cards, notify all clients, I just can't.

Bell is 99% going to get my business this month for 2 years anyway.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I would love to Tool, but having had the same number for 25 years, having to switch all cheques, business cards, notify all clients, I just can't.

So bell will let you keep your old number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweld View Post
So bell will let you keep your old number?

No, CRCTC lets you keep your old number, its yours regardless of provider
Old 08-18-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
No, CRCTC lets you keep your old number, its yours regardless of provider

I’ve been told you need to do things in the right order ie get new contract before you cancel the old one or you might lose it

Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM

No, you keep your number you have. It's called porting as previously stated. I was a Telus customer for like 20 years. 2 years ago Bell gave me an offer I couldn't refuse so switched over to them. Then this past year switched back to Telus as they gave me a better deal than Bell again. Still have the same number.

The deal here is with CRTC rules, companies can offer NEW clients better deals than existing clients. End of story. There is no benefit to loyalty anymore. I suspect I'll be back with bell when my next contract is up unless the rules change.

As far as differences between Bell and Telus, there isn't much. Both are very similar. We are in a fringe area, and I almost feel I had just a slight bit better coverage with Bell but it could be the different phone too.

Last edited by dfarms11; 08-18-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Quote messed up
Old 08-18-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
I’ve been told you need to do things in the right order ie get new contract before you cancel the old one or you might lose it

Have your number ported from your current carrier. I’ve done it. It’s easy and painless.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 PM

Bell has without a doubt the worst customer service in the world bar none, nobody even comes close to their arrogance and ineptness. Google Bell Mobility sucks and read away. I would never advise anyone to sign with them.

Been with them since '03 and my plan just ended and they are dooing everything they can to loose me as a customer, they wanted to more than double my bill. Tried squeezing some kind of deal out of them but they just arnt having it, they are determined to double my bill with a bunch of data I don't need, I only need 1Gig, maybe 2 but they want to force 10 on me. When I told them how much Koodo was for the same plan they were offering they just hung up on me. I'm allways polite with them, never an A hole.

I'm signing elsewhere next week, Bell can stick it

Sick of dealing with them, and you will too.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Bell has without a doubt the worst customer service in the world bar none, nobody even comes close to their arrogance and ineptness. Google Bell Mobility sucks and read away. I would never advise anyone to sign with them.

Been with them since '03 and my plan just ended and they are dooing everything they can to loose me as a customer, they wanted to more than double my bill. Tried squeezing some kind of deal out of them but they just arnt having it, they are determined to double my bill with a bunch of data I don't need, I only need 1Gig, maybe 2 but they want to force 10 on me. When I told them how much Koodo was for the same plan they were offering they just hung up on me. I'm allways polite with them, never an A hole.

I'm signing elsewhere next week, Bell can stick it

Sick of dealing with them, and you will too.
I too used to hear all kinds of horror stories like the above around 2013-14 & went with Telus & never looked back since. Sticking with Telus.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:34 PM

In the last discussion I had with bell I told them that I hoped they would go bankrupt. Absolute worst idiots I have ever dealt with. Am happy others are having better luck. Not for me.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:24 AM

Bell and telus have a license to steal,they sure go out of there way to get new customers but not so much for the loyal ones.I tried to get more data from telus when I was with them,no deals,so I switched to Bell,7 gb for around $100 a month.The bill goes up about every 6 months.I wanted to drop down to 1 gb but they said I would have to take 2 gb for $90 a month so I told them to drop all data,now I pay $60 a month for 0 gb.think i am gonna switch to pay as you go its around 60 a month with 2 gb.They both have bad customer service but Shout out to Otto's in Olds thow, where I switched over to Bell,they really went above and beyond to get me the best deal and switch my phone over.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 AM

I have been with Bell for 8 years now. For the most part I like them but recently was a little frustrated when they upped the price of my contract(on month to month loyalty plan) and then refused to give any better deal even though Koodo off the shelf plan would be similar and cheaper.

Still with them for now but blows my mind how they would risk losing a long time client rather then match competitors offerings.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:50 AM

We made the switch a couple years ago. No issues or regrets. Can't remember the exact numbers, but it was a significant savings.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Telus mobility had 0 flexibility to keep us a few years ago. Even through the customer loyalty departments. We had stumbled onto a deal at the Bell kiosk in Costco, and haven't looked back.
We have had no issues or need to call customer service, so I can't speak to some of the stories others have passed on. Have added to our plan once and may be adding again (MIL wants a phone for cabs when shopping).
BTW, we have Telus for home and internet and have nothing bad to say about service we have received from them. Our area just had fiber optics installed, so they were at the house several times over the course of the year it took to install and upgrade everything.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Telus mobility had 0 flexibility to keep us a few years ago. Even through the customer loyalty departments. We had stumbled onto a deal at the Bell kiosk in Costco, and haven't looked back.
We have had no issues or need to call customer service, so I can't speak to some of the stories others have passed on. Have added to our plan once and may be adding again (MIL wants a phone for cabs when shopping).
BTW, we have Telus for home and internet and have nothing bad to say about service we have received from them. Our area just had fiber optics installed, so they were at the house several times over the course of the year it took to install and upgrade everything.
I have TELUS at work and we've had NO email for 4 days...TELUS sux
Old 08-20-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
In the last discussion I had with bell I told them that I hoped they would go bankrupt. Absolute worst idiots I have ever dealt with. Am happy others are having better luck. Not for me.
It's just incredible how hard they try at being arrogant and ignorant, it's almost like it's a point of pride for them.

If they tried half as hard at actually trying to help customers they would be ok.

Seriously, Google Bell Mobility sucks and read away, certainly no shortage of reading material.

I started hating them about a year after signing with them in ott three and had to go to war with them each and every time to get a reasonable contract, and almost every time shortly after when the bill had extras and was never the plan they said it was.

When I told them how much Koodo was charging ($45) for the same plan Bell wanted $90 for, the goof just hung up on me. Made switching a VERY easy decision. I'm switching to Koodo this week, Bell will never see a penny from me again. I have a horror story from Bell Express-Vu as well, again with the ineptness and arrogance and absolutely horrific customer service.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Ken, have you looked into the cell phone man? He has a backdoor way of getting phone plans through KOODO (shares Telus and Bell Tower) the plans are out of Quebec, and are WAAAAY cheaper.

Ive got no experience with him, but have seen several posts on this forum and havent seen any bad reviews.

https://www.cellphoneman.ca/
Old 08-20-2019, 10:04 AM

I haven't will take a look thanks.

Telus has zero give, basically all they will do is move me into a new contract, $107 per mo; $75 for 10GB and North America unlimitedcall/text and another $32*24 mos for a new S10+, or $22*24 mos for the same phone but have to give it back end of term. Yeah, sure. Same # 25 years.

Bell is $115 for roughly the same deal, they have both changed USA call/text/data to ~$7.50 per day use while across the border. This is about $8 higher than Telus, but Bell will give $200 port-in credit, (steal # from Telus), $200 new customer credit, $tbd phone trade in credit, $100 in-store credit

From Telus
Peace of MindTM for Business $75
Full Speed Threshold (Non-Shareable Data): 10GB
Data Overage: Data speeds reduced to a maximum of 512Kbps after your included high-speed data bucket is exhausted. Speed may vary with your device, internet traffic, environmental conditions, and other factors.
Mobile Hotspot: Available to full speed threshold.
Roaming: Easy Roam Included - US: $8/day & International: $12/day
Included Features: Unlimited Nationwide Talk, Unlimited Nationwide SMS/MMS, Voicemail 10, Call Display, Call Waiting, Conference Calling, Call Forwarding.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:17 AM

LOL called Telus- one last chance-

(is there anyone from North America working for Telus anymore?)

got cust serv- transferred to Loyalty- 'oops sorry this is not Business Loyalty', transferred again, 1 more transfer, 'let me check'- hold music and call terminated.

Called back- pressed 1 for English- rattled off in French, had to hang.

Sucker for punishment?

Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM

I was with Bell for 10 years and switched to Virgin because Bell wouldn't flinch on their rates . Virgin is still under the Bell umbrella with same coverage but significantly cheaper when I switched. About $25 month cheaper. May be different now but worth a look.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Telus called back- now offering S10+ 512 gb for $240 up front, $20.mo x 24 mos, $75 10gb data, US/Canada unlimited calling, texting, can use data and call while in the US for $8 per day.

Dammit, Telus has moved ahead of Bell, just barely. The last offer was a 128gb phone, upgraded to $512 now.

Warranty is $9 per month, think it is the drop it swim it lost stolen plan, 2 per year, likely $250 deductable if gone. Waiting for info.

They may have me for another 2 years. lol

Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Telus called back- now offering S10+ 512 gb for $240 up front, $20.mo x 24 mos, $75 10gb data, US/Canada unlimited calling, texting, can use data and call while in the US for $8 per day.

Dammit, Telus has moved ahead of Bell, just barely. The last offer was a 128gb phone, upgraded to $512 now.

Warranty is $9 per month, think it is the drop it swim it lost stolen plan, 2 per year, likely $250 deductable if gone. Waiting for info.

They may have me for another 2 years. lol

I just left Telus after 19 years, based off of the other thread going last week. I Went to Bell was thinking Koodo but Koodo is affiliated to Telus. the switch over was easy. Kept phone number etc. I do the BYOD plan (Threw Telus) and now again threw Bell. Works for me rather than renting a phone just own it. No contract with the BYOD just leave when you want or when they Pi$$ you off. Felt good to leave TELUS.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:15 PM

From my understanding, one is or more is as bad as the others.

I always advocated getting rid of that #%%&#& "1984-ish" CRTC (Committee for Repression and Thought-Control), and getting 10 or so Japanese providers in this country to give us some quality service for reasonable prices.

Why do ya think the Jap car companies annihilated Detroit.....? QUALITY!! And actual customer service for half-decent prices.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I have a cell from work so my wife deals with our personal cell ('our' cell = her cell........LOL) and she recently switched from Telus to Bell because we've both become seriously sick of Telus. She was able to keep her number without any problem.

In fact, in the past year we swapped our Satellite service from Telus to Bell and now the cell phone. Since I'm the one who handles the bill paying I can tell you our monthly cell bill has dropped. Less $ per month + not having to deal with Telus = win win in my books.

If I could have, I'd have dropped Telus as my highspeed internet provider too but alas, it's either them or wireless in my small town and I'm not interested in wireless when I have actual ADSL available.

I have only had to call Bell's support line twice since the changeover and I have no complaints. In my estimation it's no worse than Telus'.

If you all think Bell or Telus have lousy support you all need to spend a couple weeks dealing with HP's support on a daily basis.........lol
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Default other options

I switched to Public Mobile ( telus owned) from Bell. Kept my number and cut my bill almost in half but increased my available data by 12 times. Have not seen a difference in my calls in the past year. But sure like the $60 month savings.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:44 PM

I swear these people get paid by the word. A simple yes or no question has 1100 words from them first.

Telus finally signed the contract.

They cut the upfront cost of the S10+ 512gb phone, gave unlimited Can/US calling and texting, data now works down south, $75/mo plus $20/mo for the new phone.

Aggravating, painful but in the end far better than Bell, who in the end turned out to be $135 per month, still not the same options included.

I really wanted to go to Bell, but the wallet has more pull than I thought.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:18 PM

New 512gb S10+ is here today, Amazon 512gb card got here today too, good timing!

Just swapping data over now, see how the new phone is.

Thanks for all the info everyone.