Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Release sites

If a guy is firing off a SKS at at a release site he needs to get his head checked. Should of called it into F&W or the RCMP. Lucky that no one got hit by a stray bullet.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Sadly it was a group of 3 parked at the West entrance shooting shotguns and a SKS at the parking lot near the lake. We noticed a guy sitting there when we got there with the rifle and couldn't figure out why. English wasn't his first language as we told him we were hunting birds but he had 2 others with him that were bird hunting so figured that it was safe but wish I got a plate#. They opened up when we were on the backside of the lake and it was not a great feeling. SKS rounds ricocheting off the water at a pheasant release site has anything beat I have seen. We tried to go around and get their plate# to report them but they left. It was unreal.

S
Sounds like we just missed this part of the show. Glad we left when we did. Watching the couple of guys trying to ground swat the released birds that had landed in the grass (from the number of shots and running around apparently they must be harder to hit this way) left a bad enough taste for the day.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Sounds like we just missed this part of the show. Glad we left when we did. Watching the couple of guys trying to ground swat the released birds that had landed in the grass (from the number of shots and running around apparently they must be harder to hit this way) left a bad enough taste for the day.
Exactly why I avoid the release area just after a release. Too risky for the dogs.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 AM

Went to South Plain Friday with son and his buddy from school. He is also a first time pheasant Hunter. We put up plenty of birds and had our limit in about 2 hrs. Heard a bunch of banging and clanging down by the parking lot and went and checked it out as well as filling out harvest report card. Seen the guys putting up a new fence and gates that will be well received. Should look a lot better than before. Great day overall.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Went to South Plain Friday with son and his buddy from school. He is also a first time pheasant Hunter. We put up plenty of birds and had our limit in about 2 hrs. Heard a bunch of banging and clanging down by the parking lot and went and checked it out as well as filling out harvest report card. Seen the guys putting up a new fence and gates that will be well received. Should look a lot better than before. Great day overall.
Glad you had a good day! I'd have been there, but the Mrs scheduled family photos. Groan.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM

It's great you got your church clothes on and took some new pics. Anyone at two hills today as wondering if they got snow there?
Old 10-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Is anyone been or going to the Whitetail North one? with a dog maybe

I was out once day after opening and nothing! did a 3hr loop in/out of bush and cattails, willows etc. Seen a couple on the road on way in and thought it was gonna be awesome, shoulda dusted 'em I guess!

If anyone wants to work their dog a bit more or room for an extra, I'd like to tag along, send a PM thx.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 PM

I was at Daysland with two friends, one had never hunted pheasants, and had never hunted over a dog before. There were eight vehicles when we arrived , which is more than I have ever seen there on a Wednesday. It took almost an hour to find the first bird, as the usual areas had already been hunted hard since the last release, but we tried a new part of the site, and found six birds in the next hour, and I had to pull the dog off of another point after we had our limit. My friends couldn't help but shake their heads after we watched two other people fire 12-15 shots at four different roosters without killing any of them. They did wound one bird, but even though they had a dog, they didn't bother following up after shooting.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Another fine hunt after school in the snow with Warden tonight. It is quite obvious that the local predators are benefitting greatly from the pheasants released at the site. Scenes like the one on top of the bale were encountered dozens of times. Still managed to get a limit of pheasants and four bonus Gadwall.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 AM

was at Daysland on monday. (the 9th)

there were a few hunters out, didnt hear a single shot. 2 dogs with us and we didnt see a single bird....well....one of the puppers flushed a bird, but it was an owl.

we have always typically flushed out at least a half dozen in our previous trips. oh well, better luck next time!
Old 10-15-2017, 06:46 PM

Default Pheasant Release Site Update

Solid day Saturday in plains. Missed a few and few others out of range with the dog. Quite a few hunters out enjoying the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guide5689 View Post
Solid day Saturday in plains. Missed a few and few others out of range with the dog. Quite a few hunters out enjoying the day.

IMG_4566.jpg
My 6 month old lab pup was pleased with this rooste

Old 10-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Frank Lake
Opened the season with my brother.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pheasant.jpg (37.0 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by shooter12; 10-15-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM

friend was out at daysland on thursday and we went again on sunday.

both days 0 birds seen....wondering if they might be done releasing?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM

Went out to Frank and didn’t see any pheasants. I also didn’t hear any shots from other hunters as well.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM

Found a release site, pup made 8 flushes and 6 retrieves. Season looks promising.

Good huntingIMG_4673.jpg

Old 10-16-2017, 10:43 PM

So... me and the kids and a buddy hit the Deerfield colony release on Sunday.

''Twas a gong show.... so we hunted close by cause I know the spot well and fleeing birds tend to collect in some of the less noticeable spots off the actual release.

Sure enough, we get into birds... but the MACH 7 winds make shooting real difficult.

We are walking a field edge leading back to the road... a couple guys drive up, see us on birds, and decide it's ok to hunt directly towards us.
They get well within pellet sprinkling range and simply wait there for my dog to flush some birds to them. They are just out of shouting distance cause of the wind.
I heel my lab... call my hunting party over to me, then look at these guys and throw my arms up in the air...
They stare at me for 5 minutes... and slowly go back to their vehicle.

Sorry boys but:
1. You didn't ask to shoot over my dog.
2. Your positioning created a classic Ukrainian shooting gallery... and I didn't want to get my uke butt all shot up.
3. It was painfully obvious as to where we were hunting and in what direction. Show some discretion and class.

We took two birds, then left to chase wild ones in other areas... where there's no people.

Let's play safe eh?
Geeze.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-17-2017, 06:33 AM

I wasn't able to make it out on Thanksgiving Monday, but a member from the forum I hunt with took his dogs. The chickenwagon shows up and when it got back to the parking lot, he said people were literally running with shotguns to get to the spot he released the birds. Brutal.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I wasn't able to make it out on Thanksgiving Monday, but a member from the forum I hunt with took his dogs. The chickenwagon shows up and when it got back to the parking lot, he said people were literally running with shotguns to get to the spot he released the birds. Brutal.
They ought to figure out how to release the birds without creating this mockery of the hunt. All release sites should be closed to hunting after 2PM. Releasing the birds after 2PM would give the birds a chance to adjust to the release and the release site. It would make for a better hunting experience the next day.

BW
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
And now that people had figured out the release schedule, which has been very predictable, there were people waiting in vehicles for the truck to show up for the past few weeks. Other hunters told me that once the truck pulled in, there was a group of people following it in, and then shooting the birds as soon as they were released, whetber in the air or on the ground, whichever was easiest. I haven't actually seen the truck this year, as I have been avoiding the times that people are telling me that the releases are occurring. But I was out to Daysland yesterday, and there was apparently no release at the expected time, so perhaps they are changing the schedule in response. There were also no shots fired in the time were were there yesterday, and we saw no birds. Talking to other people with dogs, they saw no birds, and heard no shots either.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
They ought to figure out how to release the birds without creating this mockery of the hunt. All release sites should be closed to hunting after 2PM. Releasing the birds after 2PM would give the birds a chance to adjust to the release and the release site. It would make for a better hunting experience the next day.

BW
I disagree. The only reason I have been able to hunt pheasants on a semi-regular basis for the first time is the fact that I can hunt the release sites after 2 pm for the first time and get in a couple of hours of hunting after work. I have yet to even see a release truck.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I disagree. The only reason I have been able to hunt pheasants on a semi-regular basis for the first time is the fact that I can hunt the release sites after 2 pm for the first time and get in a couple of hours of hunting after work. I have yet to even see a release truck.
Fair enough; what is your solution to stop the truck shooting fiasco that seems to be occurring more often then not?

Release sites weren't set up and the release program wasn't designed to hunt the chicken-wagon!

Guys who hunt the chicken-wagon aren't hunters in my mind it's abuse of a great system!

BW
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Fair enough; what is your solution to stop the truck shooting fiasco that seems to be occurring more often then not?

BW
How about releasing the pheasants at night?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Release sites weren't set up and the release program wasn't designed to hunt the chicken-wagon!

Guys who hunt the chicken-wagon aren't hunters in my mind it's abuse of a great system!

BW
I agree, but those people that sit in their vehicles waiting for the truck to show up so that they can shoot the birds as they are released , will argue that since they are doing nothing illegal, they have as much right to be there as anyone else. And I have heard several of them complaining when the truck didn't show up when they expected it to.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I agree, but those people that sit in their vehicles waiting for the truck to show up so that they can shoot the birds as they are released , will argue that since they are doing nothing illegal, they have as much right to be there as anyone else. And I have heard several of them complaining when the truck didn't show up when they expected it to.
I can't argue with you on the legality of this as they are not breaking any laws.

I'll start a new thread on hunting the chicken truck as I don't want to take this one any further sideways then this already is.

BW
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
And now that people had figured out the release schedule, which has been very predictable, there were people waiting in vehicles for the truck to show up for the past few weeks. Other hunters told me that once the truck pulled in, there was a group of people following it in, and then shooting the birds as soon as they were released, whetber in the air or on the ground, whichever was easiest. I haven't actually seen the truck this year, as I have been avoiding the times that people are telling me that the releases are occurring. But I was out to Daysland yesterday, and there was apparently no release at the expected time, so perhaps they are changing the schedule in response. There were also no shots fired in the time were were there yesterday, and we saw no birds. Talking to other people with dogs, they saw no birds, and heard no shots either.
Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.

Last edited by MK2750; 10-17-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:

BW
I guess I don't see it as a problem provided the law is followed and things are done safely. Not my preference but.....

Anyway we will be hunting wild birds this weekend.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-17-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Predicting the release is the most and only difficult part of the "hunt". They either released and you get birds or they didn't and you get none, just like everyone else. How far removed from the truck is of no relevance except for maybe jealousy. They are child's play for a decent dog anytime and anywhere on the site. I appreciate the guys chasing them around the release areas and at least allowing the dogs some exercise to find them.

Many people have no money to throw away on gas to drive an hour or more and get nothing. I personally hope these folks hit the release time, get their birds and enjoy the day before the die hard and avid "hunters" clean the birds out.

You people that are constantly bad mouthing the program and other hunters because it is not "sporting" enough should do us all a favour and actually go hunting. You can chase wild birds from Stettler to Montana and leave the "unsportman like" hunting to us wanabes. This is especially true if you are using hear say as your basis for argument.

Last evening I walked 5 miles of bush and got a limit of Ruffies flushed over dogs. This morning, after a good hike, I got two beautiful roosters, both with full tails over 30 bars. I didn't encounter another hunter on either hunt. If you are bothered by others and want to be alone there is literally hundreds of square miles of awesome country side to enjoy.

I for one think they are doing a wonderful job releasing birds and my experience has been very positive with the other hunters I have encountered. On release day it is enjoyable to watch people with their dogs getting super excited and bagging a few birds. They are literally there for the taking and I even help out those that are having a difficult time. Most would never have the opportunity otherwise, all seem safe and respectful of other people's space and most seem truly grateful at the opportunity given.
Over the last few weeks, the release schedule was very predictable, because they released on the same days, at about the same time for the last three weeks. And the sport is called hunting, if you want guaranteed birds, the best option is to just buy them, and not waste time hunting. By the time you add up all pf the costs including fuel, ammunition, licenses, ammunition etc, it wouldn't cost any more to buy them, then it is to dry an hour each way to a release site to shoot them. And I can't see anyone actually enjoying shooting birds as they leave the crates. The program itself is a good idea, the ACA just needs to prevent the schedule from being so predictable that people are waiting to slaughter the birds as they leave the crates.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Over the last few weeks, the release schedule was very predictable, because they released on the same days, at about the same time for the last three weeks. And the sport is called hunting, if you want guaranteed birds, the best option is to just buy them, and not waste time hunting. By the time you add up all pf the costs including fuel, ammunition, licenses, ammunition etc, it wouldn't cost any more to buy them, then it is to dry an hour each way to a release site to shoot them. And I can't see anyone actually enjoying shooting birds as they leave the crates. The program itself is a good idea, the ACA just needs to prevent the schedule from being so predictable that people are waiting to slaughter the birds as they leave the crates.
What difference does it make if the birds are "slaughtered" by a few buddies in the parking lot or by you and your buddies a half mile away. Your bird is held under point until you walk up to him and you have proclaimed yourself on numerous occasions as an expert wing shot.

The chances of the bird's survival is likely higher in the parking lot than out in the field with you and your dog. If fact; I would wager a large amount of the birds you "slaughter" have zero chance of survival as compared to 20-50% at release.

"Sporting" or "Fair Chase" does refer to the animal or bird's chances of surviving. The greater the chance of survival, the greater the challenge or more ethical the hunt.

The real problem here is that some believe that their enjoyment is greater or more important than someone else's enjoyment. Ground swatting a pheasant may be more challenging and exciting to a new or occasional hunter than a perfect point and flush is to someone else.

I like the idea of a "timeout period" when the birds are released but tricking people into missing a release day is selfish and harmful to the sport. Nobody wants to drive an hour or two with zero chance of seeing a bird and many can hardly afford the trip. A couple or three useless trips and that person might just give up on pheasants altogether. As you know, the more involved the better with the chance of more sites and more birds.

You do realize that the majority are not expert hunters, do not have well trained dogs and are not expert wing shots. In a democratic system the majority might argue that expert hunters and wing shots be banned from the sites to encourage a fairer chase and an increased chance of more birds remaining on non release days.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:19 PM

We have had to take a month off from hunting as my wife had to go in for emergency surgery. She's doing better now and is itching to go back out, and hopefully get her first pheasant ever (after flushing one and freaking out at the start of the season LOL)

Hopefully Hopewell and Namaka are good this weekend