Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Default Mauser feeding problem

I have a late 50's BSA that is in almost unused condition but will not "grab" a cartridge out of the magazine. It will push the cartridge out of the magazine, but due to the extractor it will not allow the bolt to close. Any mauser action people out there ?????
Old 09-11-2019, 09:55 AM

The rim of the cartridge needs to slide between the extract and the bolt face while being pushed into place. If you sit a cartridge on top of the magazine follower loose, not pushed down into the mad well, will it feed that properly? If not, is the extractor free, or won't move?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:28 PM

The face of the extractor needs to be beveled properly to jump the rim of the cartridge
Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
The face of the extractor needs to be beveled properly to jump the rim of the cartridge
Does the beveled edge of the extractor pop over the cartridge base?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Really hard to diagnose over email. Are u anywhere near edmonton, I would be happy to take a look at it for you.

The beveled edge will pop over a cartridge but that isn't the way a Mauser was designed to feed normally.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 PM

Most of the Mauser style extractors are not a true control feed anymore . Most are now designed so that the extractor can jump the rim if a cartridge runs ahead of the extractor.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Really hard to diagnose over email. Are u anywhere near edmonton, I would be happy to take a look at it for you.

The beveled edge will pop over a cartridge but that isn't the way a Mauser was designed to feed normally.
Thanks, I appreciate your offer of help but unfortunately I'm in the Okanagan.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The rim of the cartridge needs to slide between the extract and the bolt face while being pushed into place. If you sit a cartridge on top of the magazine follower loose, not pushed down into the mad well, will it feed that properly? If not, is the extractor free, or won't move?
No it won't. It will just push the shell forward into the chamber but the extractor doesn't go over the rim of the cartridge there by preventing the bolt from closing. The extractor does move but it seems quite tight. I have the identical rifle in 222 and it feels a similiar tightness. The difference is with the 222 by the time the cartridge gets into the chamber, the rim has moved up in between the extractor and the bolt face. The 30-06 fails to move into that position.

Last edited by Scott h; 09-11-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Take it to Karl. He is the gunsmith for Wild West at West Edmonton Mall. German trained and he knows his Mausers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk