Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 07:06 AM

Default Practising with a hunting rifle

This has been discussed before I am sure, but after it was mentioned on another forum and consequently having a conversation with a couple of very well known gunsmiths and hunters who agreed with me I figured I would bring it up here instead of the thread about stopping heartbeat.

Basically speaking , after I get get a hunting load worked up and the rifle zeroed that I intend as a hunting rifle, I quit shooting it off the bench - in fact I don’t shoot groups with it at all as there is no need to!

What I do whenever I go to the range is take my hunting rifle to the range with rifles I intend to shoot targets with but before I do that I take my hunting rifle out and shoot only one or two shots with it at 1,2, and 300 yards at the steel gongs and put it down until I am about to leave .
I then pack up my gear and before I leave I take another few shots with it .
NONE of these shots are from the bench however.
They are either kneeling or prone or shot using my walking stick.

The philosophy behind this is that continual groups at targets off a bench rest or short bipod does nothing as far as shooting from more realistic field positions .
Taking a short run is laughed at by many as well, but many times that is the exact scenario that happens in a hunt !

Many people disagree with this system but there are more than a few very accomplished hunters that use this very style of practise as well .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-10-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:11 AM

100% agree
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Banned

Dryfiring rifles can be done more often than shooting and doesn't consume ammo. It really helps with your form as you can visually see what happens to your hold while the trigger breaks.
Having a rimfire rifle setup similar to your hunting setup is helpful as well. Our gun club has a rimfire silhouette range which is good for practicing offhand. Or in field positions.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 AM

The bench breeds bragging.
Field positions, bring bagging..... of game!

The bench is for evaluating and perfecting a load or loading.

Getting into and shooting from field positions, with a cold bore single shot is what fills the larder.

Of course there’s exceptions like shooting from blinds, or other extremes, but let’s face it, doing it off your “hind legs” is far more challenging(and not recommended).

Realizing ones weaknesses and limitations in ones abilities is the culmination of a true hunter. Living within these constraints is the truest measure of that hunter.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-10-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 AM

I agree
Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The bench breeds bragging.
Field positions, bring bagging..... of game!

The bench is for evaluating and perfecting a load or loading.

Getting into and shooting from field positions, with a cold bore single shot is what fills the larder.

Of course there’s exceptions like shooting from blinds, or other extremes, but let’s face it, doing it off your “hind legs” is far more challenging(and not recommended).

Realizing ones weaknesses and limitations in ones abilities is the culmination of a true hunter. Living within these constraints is the truest measure of that hunter.
A lot of truth to this. My 1 1/2" group off the bench at 200 yards mysteriously came in at 4 1/2" off my shooting sticks. I know myself well enough to not even try free hand.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Stalk,,Walk,,Stand/Drop/Lay and shoot. Do it at multiple distances multiple times over. You will have a full freezer.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Dryfiring rifles can be done more often than shooting and doesn't consume ammo. It really helps with your form as you can visually see what happens to your hold while the trigger breaks.
Having a rimfire rifle setup similar to your hunting setup is helpful as well. Our gun club has a rimfire silhouette range which is good for practicing offhand. Or in field positions.
This is a beginning, BUT.
It only takes it about 45% towards reality.

Getting a .222 or .223 in a 700 Bdl/CDL or Ruger 77 or what ever, is a better tool.

The balance and weight is closer to that of an actual hunting rifle, as I’ve yet to see a rimfire rifle with similar weight and balance to any hunting rifle I’ve ever owned.

Getting out with your actual hunting rifle is still the best, albeit far too many hunters are so over matched in their choice of rifle/cartridge that anything beyond a couple 3 shot groups leaves them considering concussion protocols.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-10-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
as I’ve yet to see a rimfire rifle with similar weight and balance to any hunting rifle I’ve ever owned.
Ever shoot a Kimber 82?
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Ever shoot a Kimber 82?
Does it come left handed?

What big game rifles does this Kimber mimic?

I’d love a .22 that fits like a Left Hand Rem 700, or a Ruger No1........

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2019, 08:55 AM

Excellent advice Cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Brobee, that is awesome. Can I join?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

Very cool. And left handed too!
Old 09-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Banned

Dry firing is the key to success for hunting. Especially when practicing hunting position.

Unsupported standing shots or hasty sling standing shots are best for your bang when practicing.

Personally, I have a kifaru gun bearing and I practice the transition from removing the gun from the gun bearing to hasty sling stand shot/unsupported standing shot with a quick 3 accurate shots since I know that's what I'll most likely do in my hunting situation.