Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Default Wss clearance rifles resold online for much higher

Noticing a lot of new in box rifles that were on major clearance at wholesale sports showing up online and at the auctions around edmonton for much higher than they were bought for at the store. Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an etiquette here that people should just share the info on sales instead of trying to rip people off?
Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
Noticing a lot of new in box rifles that were on major clearance at wholesale sports showing up online and at the auctions around edmonton for much higher than they were bought for at the store. Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an etiquette here that people should just share the info on sales instead of trying to rip people off?
If you think its a rip off then make an offer to these sellers that you feel is fair. Or dont. Its up to you
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM

It's a free market economy, it's bound to happen.

There nothing you can do about it, but look after your own bank roll.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Etiquette? forget about it. It's your call, buyer beware and all that jazz. No one is forcing you to buy any firearm for any price. If a guy wants to make a profit and he finds a willing buyer, then the more power to him. Ever hear the old adage? "there's a sucker born everyday"? Just so you know, I once sold an SKS for $600.00 with a pimped out ATI stock that I bought for $89.00. And I slept well that night.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:03 PM

I don't think it is any different than buying a used gun online and flipping it for more than you paid.
No big deal if the person buying wants it.
Cat
Old 12-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Happens every time there's a significant sale on guns from one of the big stores.

It's worth exactly what someone will pay for it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
good on them hope they make a killin' considering they took the time and money to go to the store and buy.

Cabela's probably bought a good chunk of their stock, are you going to stop shopping there? It's called free enterprise, don't like it shop somewhere else.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:39 PM

I'm curious how you feel it's ripping them off?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Its smart.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 PM
Banned

Some of the stuff Ive bought there in the past couple months may get sold one day. Its whats its worth when you decide to sell something. Not what you paid for it
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

No different then guys selling stuff used on here years old asking new price for it
Old 12-15-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Entertain yourself

Send P.M's to the sellers offering real lowball offers and wait for them to start a rant thread about getting lowballed.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Not so lucrative.

People used to do that with game systems all the time wait in lines over night buy a couple game systems and just before Christmas sell them for much higher than market price. Then you have companies like ticket master that has side companies like stubhub that cater to organized scalpers for a much higher price than market price so they get a second cut.
These guys selling guns won’t be able to get more than market price unless they sold them on the black market to people that are not supposed to have guns but I don’t see the average Joe doing that.
If there stuck with a gun no one wants its kind of a loss of capital you have to be able to move product to make a profit.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
People used to do that with game systems all the time wait in lines over night buy a couple game systems and just before Christmas sell them for much higher than market price. Then you have companies like ticket master that has side companies like stubhub that cater to organized scalpers for a much higher price than market price so they get a second cut.
These guys selling guns won’t be able to get more than market price unless they sold them on the black market to people that are not supposed to have guns but I don’t see the average Joe doing that.
If there stuck with a gun no one wants its kind of a loss of capital you have to be able to move product to make a profit.
Yep. Their risk, their reward... if there is one.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 PM

Anyone who puts themselves themselves through the Wholesale Sports gun sales counter experience deserves as much compensation as they can muster
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
its probably all the people on here that were saying the sales were garbage don't waste your time going down. Now they are buying up the stock and selling it for a profit.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:57 AM

If a person wants a certain rifle bad enough and can’t find one anywhere except for a buy and sell with a higher price sometimes they are more than happy to pay more. If that same rifle is something he can find elsewhere at a cheaper price and he pays the higher the price, too bad for not doing his homework.

Due diligence. People shouldn’t have to hold an adults hand and guide them through every step through life. I’d rather see smarter people in this world on the buying side. Smarter people correlate to a better society. People need to quit blaming others for their own lack of smarts or effort..

Last edited by 1899b; 12-16-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbgdr View Post
Anyone who puts themselves themselves through the Wholesale Sports gun sales counter experience deserves as much compensation as they can muster
Best post yet hahahaa
Old 12-16-2017, 08:12 AM

If someone is selling something, the price is good, and it was obtained, and is being sold legally, I could care less where the seller obtained it.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:16 AM

It’s just you.

Exactly where are people being ripped off? If they enter a private transaction of their own free will and buy something then it’s not a rip off because both parties mutually agreed on a price. If the buyers wanted the close-out deals then they could have attended the close out, pretty simple. And for suggesting that people are responsible for notifying others you might notice that happened in the many threads both here and on CanadianGunNutz about WSS’s liquidation; if that’s not enough notification then are AO members expected to drive to strangers homes, drag them out and chauffeur them the closest WSS against their will? Then of course lead them to the aisles that have what they want due to their clairvoyance? I’m missing out on where anything is unfair....
Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Do you have any “idea” what goes on at every car dealership? Lol
Old 12-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Instead of thinking of it as ripping people off, look at it like you are giving deals to people who couldn't make the sale due to location and taking a little for yourself.

It's a free market.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 AM

This thread is an example of why there are no comments allowed in the buy and sell.

Caveat emptor
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you view the greater hunting/shooting community as like-minded buds... this is a great thing and as a newbie I am looking forward to getting involved in this community.

I have had many friends who have tried to make money off of the communities sharing their passions/interests. For better or for worse, it does change your position in the community when your peers move from being potential friends to potential customers. Not a bad thing, but different.

It is up to the individual. Some love making a buck off something they love and a market they know inside/out, and some like myself (and you it seems) like to keep business separate from my hobbies.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Sounds like you view the greater hunting/shooting community as like-minded buds... this is a great thing and as a newbie I am looking forward to getting involved in this community.

I have had many friends who have tried to make money off of the communities sharing their passions/interests. For better or for worse, it does change your position in the community when your peers move from being potential friends to potential customers. Not a bad thing, but different.

It is up to the individual. Some love making a buck off something they love and a market they know inside/out, and some like myself (and you it seems) like to keep business separate from my hobbies.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
You may not realize it, but buying and selling guns themselves is a very big hobby for many people.
Nothing wrong with it at all and it is a very acceptable practice.

You cannot expect someone to buy something then sell it at a loss because it may be against what someone else deems ethical.
Cat
Old 12-16-2017, 10:21 AM

If a fellow walked in with let’s say $100000 and spoke with the liquidators to buy 250 firearms at 45% off. ( average price of $400) then turned around and sold them at 75-80% of new. That is a fairly good return on any investment. 250 rifle boxes will all fit on 1 pallet and make about 20-22% on your money in in maybe less than a year.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:51 PM

don't you just love free enterprise?!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You may not realize it, but buying and selling guns themselves is a very big hobby for many people.
Nothing wrong with it at all and it is a very acceptable practice.

You cannot expect someone to buy something then sell it at a loss because it may be against what someone else deems ethical.
Cat
Heck Cat every gun trader I know at the shows goes buy the motto..."Buy high sell low and make it up in volume"....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Heck Cat every gun trader I know at the shows goes buy the motto..."Buy high sell low and make it up in volume"....
Haha! That’s funny right thar! Good to wake up laughing.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Buy high, sell low.

This works all the time
LOL

Don