Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
Noticing a lot of new in box rifles that were on major clearance at wholesale sports showing up online and at the auctions around edmonton for much higher than they were bought for at the store. Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an etiquette here that people should just share the info on sales instead of trying to rip people off?
Not ripping people off, buy low sell higher....make sense to me.
People have a choice to barter down etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You may not realize it, but buying and selling guns themselves is a very big hobby for many people.
Nothing wrong with it at all and it is a very acceptable practice.

You cannot expect someone to buy something then sell it at a loss because it may be against what someone else deems ethical.
Cat
That makes sense. I have no problem with it and would happily buy if the price was right for me.

From a business perspective, looking at the knowledge of the market, time to pick it up, all the visits made during the sale that the price was not low enough, tieing up of funds and risk of investment it would be reasonable for a guy to make a couple hundred bucks for sure.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Heck Cat every gun trader I know at the shows goes buy the motto..."Buy high sell low and make it up in volume"....
Oh yeah, the gun show prices!!!
Cat
Old 12-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
That makes sense. I have no problem with it and would happily buy if the price was right for me.

From a business perspective, looking at the knowledge of the market, time to pick it up, all the visits made during the sale that the price was not low enough, tieing up of funds and risk of investment it would be reasonable for a guy to make a couple hundred bucks for sure.

Matt

Even then that couple hundred probably won't cover the time, phone calls, internet time, screwing around trying to sell the gun, meeting with people, going to the post office, standing in line they're probably not breaking even. They probably would have made more money with less hassle just working a few hours extra overtime. Usually it turns out they sell the gun for what they paid just to get rid of it and get nothing for their time. If they job costed it they probably wouldn't do it.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Even then that couple hundred probably won't cover the time, phone calls, internet time, screwing around trying to sell the gun, meeting with people, going to the post office, standing in line they're probably not breaking even. They probably would have made more money with less hassle just working a few hours extra overtime. Usually it turns out they sell the gun for what they paid just to get rid of it and get nothing for their time. If they job costed it they probably wouldn't do it.
This is why I am no longer involved in small business and appreciate my 9 to 5 paycheck!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Wow, you've just described my gun dealing experiences to a T...:-)

Having that said...........the wife wants to go to the Ellerslie Road Greenhouse and Gift Shop today...hmmm....5 minutes from Wholeseale South....
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
At one time it was a huge hobby and a big part of my life.
When it is all said and done, I doubt very much if ii made a nickle- that was not of the original objective however.
I could not afford to own all the guns wanted, but this way i could buy them, shoot them, fix them up and flip them for the next project while keeping my expenses to a minimum- most of the time!
occasional i ran into a good deal, but for the most part any profit went into components and parts.
Cat
Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfnewfie View Post
Noticing a lot of new in box rifles that were on major clearance at wholesale sports showing up online and at the auctions around edmonton for much higher than they were bought for at the store. Is it just me or does anyone else think there is an etiquette here that people should just share the info on sales instead of trying to rip people off?
Better not go on Amazon then...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
At one time it was a huge hobby and a big part of my life.
When it is all said and done, I doubt very much if ii made a nickle- that was not of the original objective however.
I could not afford to own all the guns wanted, but this way i could buy them, shoot them, fix them up and flip them for the next project while keeping my expenses to a minimum- most of the time!
occasional i ran into a good deal, but for the most part any profit went into components and parts.
Cat
LOL, same here! That's how I know no matter how you try to convince oneself there might be a nickel at the end of the tunnel as an excuse (among many other excuses) to justify another gun purchase we are only buying them because we want too play with yet another gun. There are far worse things we could throw money at.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:36 PM

The guys from Corlanes where in the GP store today loading up. Glad I got what wanted yesterday cuz they took the rest.