Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Default ATVs/Vehicles Before Noon

Just wondering if any of the members know why some WMUs have the restriction of not carrying rifle in vehicle or ATV before noon, while some do not?
Old 09-25-2014, 04:07 PM

Not sure. but definitely a stupid rule. Hunting rules getting almost as stupid as fishing rules in this province
Old 09-25-2014, 04:10 PM

Not sure either, but I think its a great rule. Too bad there are so many people that don't abide by it.....
Old 09-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder burner View Post
Not sure. but definitely a stupid rule. Hunting rules getting almost as stupid as fishing rules in this province
i'm not even going to touch this topic because i think it's a good law
Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM

I think it's a great rule ..... Many lazy hunters that think an animal will just stand on a cutline and wait to be shot. One way to ruin other hunters hunt.
Atvs have there place I love mine and have used them to get an animal out of the bush numerous times also in remote hunting locations they can be useful to get to the hunting grounds but usually these remote locations do not have restrictions.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:25 PM

It's a great rule.

I've witnessed enough times when a moose or an elk will be calling only to shut right up when the quad motor starts rumbling.

Sometimes they are going again 10 minutes later but other times they clam right up.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:25 PM

I think it is a great rule....this will no doubt be unpopular but I honestly think the rule should be changed that anytime afternoon the firearm should be unloaded and encased while on a OHV.

LC
Old 09-25-2014, 04:31 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'm not even going to touch this topic because i think it's a good law
You just did

As for this rule, it is odd, not before noon but after noon it is o.k? Kinda like the archery thingy you need to carry and hunt with a bow and only pertains to a bow but that is another thread. Swear to god they better legalize pot so that the powers that be can come out of the closet!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Here's the thing that doesn't make sense about it. Anyone can drive around in a truck or small jeep and that's ok before noon. But an atv, nope can't do that.

Seems to promote road hunting rather than discourage it.

And with the size of the utv or side by sides, may as well buy a jeep. Not much of a price difference anyhow.

Last edited by powder burner; 09-25-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Seems like a pad lock...keeps honest guys honest.

But im totally for it! In terrain that is so assesible they need some sort of guild line to control it. We should feel lucky in northwestern BC they've shut down quads all together.

Last edited by csmith78; 09-25-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Its a great rule, only wish it was even more restrictive.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Agreed! !!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:51 PM

As this is a hunting reg it only applies to hunters.

Recreational riders aren't governed by it. Also nothing prevents a non hunter from having a firearm in the bush so long as they have their PAL/POL.

That is the reason I would say it makes no sense.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCutthroat View Post
Have to agree. Nothing worse than sitting in that stand only to have two quads rip by. I own a quad and have nothing against them. It's just frustrating when that happens over and over again
Old 09-25-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think it is a great rule....this will no doubt be unpopular but I honestly think the rule should be changed that anytime afternoon the firearm should be unloaded and encased while on a OHV.

LC
X2 unless the hunter is disabled
Old 09-25-2014, 09:28 PM

I own an atv, but I support this regulation. Unfortunately many people get away with blatantly ignoring this regulation.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Thinking of mounting a small tripod to the front rack of my quad and being a right hand shooter, I'm also thinking of rigging the throttle over to the left handle bar.(never to be used before noon of course.)

I wouldn't mind elderly or people with certain handicaps to use them to hunt before noon. (Like Redfrog)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post

Recreational riders aren't governed by it. Also nothing prevents a non hunter from having a firearm in the bush so long as they have their PAL/POL.

You should confirm that....I would leave my tags at home to prove to the CO I wasn't hunting...no cheating!

....if it truly applies only to hunting....then it makes total sense . The recreational guy without a gun can burn a hunter legally....by ripping past his stand... BUT

I think at some point sportsmanship and fair chase needs to be employed...that's why I am happy such a rule exists...I am a walker, I use my quad to haul out downed animals...I don't hunt off of it. Makes my morning nice and quiet as I will walk in in the dark in silence and walking in early allows me to put distance between me and the next guy.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-25-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:

LC
Id be in favor of that.......encourage guys to only use their machines for travel.

Never heard of a guy killing a big bull elk from the seat of his quad...but I see numerous guys each season that try and in turn put a bunch of extra pressure on good area and make it harder for the guys in the bush actually hunting.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohncdn View Post

The problem a non hunting person has, is that he has to prove he's not hunting.

Just cause you say your not, doesn't negate the probability that you might be hunting. If the CFO can prove reasonable and probable grounds that your in fact hunting... your are as good as F 'D.

Makes sense really...if you taking a defender or 45/70 into the Bush in a Kobi out of season your probably not hunting but actually concerned about your saftey.

If you are packing a 270 scoped with 150g on the second day of deer season ...your probably not that concerned about a deadly predator.

The CFO are also hunters they look at loads, rifles, location etc...don't think just cause a guy spits out "I'm not hunting" that a CFO will let you walk.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 PM

I own 3 quads and a sidexside but I really wish that we could only use quads for getting game out. Many hunting areas get way too much pressure when access is so easy being able to use a quad.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 PM

Think it's a stupid rule. I do most my hunting by walking or sitting. If I'm sitting, I don't sit right on road or trail. I have found that when people rip by on atv or utv it pushes animals back into cover( which is a good thing). For me it usually is a cpl hours to get out to hunting spots or areas, starts to add up on $$ when not rich. Would be nice every once in awhile to get to gravel and unload quad, and drive it in rest of the way to where I would like to start walking, would save a little on $$. Little bit adds up over a season. Just my thoughts, see a lot more game walking and sitting then I do quadding. So if that's all people do it's better for the rest of us.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder burner View Post
Not a stupid rule at all IMHO,the rule is in place to try to preserve what little bit of Alberta is still remote and wild,and to discourage quad hunters from pressuring areas that others put the work into hiking or remote camping to reach....it's too bad that many quad hunters ignore it!!Theres nothing much worse or more frustrating then parking your truck at dark-thirty in -25C late November,then hiking 90 minutes in the dark to get setup for first light....dawn is breaking,you start tickling the antlers,and some A-hole quad hunter comes bouncing in the trail,obviously hunting with blatant disregard for the law and disrespect for the guy that worked for it.If I had of wanted the area disturbed with some blattin' rattlin quad rumbling in to my honey hole at daybreak,I would have rode my own effn quad in FFS!!

Fwiw,I also own/have owned quads and dirt bikes all my life,and most of that in another province where there is no such quad restrictions.....and STILL,I agree with this law,but again,too bad it's often ignored.

Last edited by grinr; 09-26-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
Think it's a stupid rule. I do most my hunting by walking or sitting. If I'm sitting, I don't sit right on road or trail. I have found that when people rip by on atv or utv it pushes animals back into cover( which is a good thing). For me it usually is a cpl hours to get out to hunting spots or areas, starts to add up on $$ when not rich. Would be nice every once in awhile to get to gravel and unload quad, and drive it in rest of the way to where I would like to start walking, would save a little on $$. Little bit adds up over a season. Just my thoughts, see a lot more game walking and sitting then I do quadding. So if that's all people do it's better for the rest of us.
I am confused with you stand point?...it's a stupid rule, but you walk all the time?

You would like to be able to use the quad because it is more economical on fuel? Doesn't having a quad cost more money? There is purchase and upkeep costs...and a trailer.

You think it's great when other people use them (not you though, you walk) because they push the animals to you?

So you want everyone else to quad (but not you, you walk), So if that's all people do it's better for the rest of us.

I am confused....am I the only one?

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 AM

I use my quad all the time putting down old roads and pipelines when I go grouse hunting.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
I use my quad all the time putting down old roads and pipelines when I go grouse hunting.
Good for you and more power to ya...after noon.But if you think you are gonna pass by me hiking in a cutline at 7am,you can expect repercussions and consequences....jest sayn.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Good for you and more power to ya...after noon.But if you think you are gonna pass by me hiking in a cutline at 7am,you can expect repercussions and consequences....jest sayn.
Depends on the zone he is huntin they are not all the same.

What are ya going to do shoot him? hehe just sayin.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
That is a good afternoon or evening activity! Grouse a lot of the time would wait for you to uncase your firearm and load it...

I enjoy the quiet mornings though not gonna lie.

LC
Old 09-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
That is a good afternoon or evening activity! Grouse a lot of the time would wait for you to uncase your firearm and load it...

I enjoy the quiet mornings though not gonna lie.

LC
It is a great afternoon activity, I agree.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I agree with the law and abide by it, but if you don't want to be passed by a quad on a trail don't walk down quad trails. There are weekend warriors out there quadding ( not hunting ) till well after the snow flies.