Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 07:18 PM

Default AFS Surplus Wall Tent

I wasn’t sure the best place to post this, but I’m wondering if anyone has one of the old Alberta Forestry Service (AFS) Surplus wall tents that they would be willing to part with? They went for cheap at auctions in the 90’s.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:42 PM

If you are thinking of the orange poly tarp tents, they really are a poor choice in cool weather. The inside of the tent collects all the condensation, which then freezes and falls as ice crystals with any wind.

Spark and flame are very hard on these tents as well.

Given how these tents have not really gone up in price, and the features and the fireproof nature of the material are so good, if you can spare the money, buy a 12 x 14 x 5 ' wall tent and an internal frame kit and be done for the next 25 years.

You will be much happier.

Drewski
Old 07-13-2020, 07:45 PM

Definitely not those ones, these ones were a heavy duty canvas. I have friends that are still using 40 yr old ones and haven’t been babied.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3-7mm View Post
Definitely not those ones, these ones were a heavy duty canvas. I have friends that are still using 40 yr old ones and haven’t been babied.
I knew a guy who had some, top notch and could be joined end to end as I recall. Unfortunately, he died and his family disposed of all his stuff.

Grizz
Old 07-13-2020, 11:13 PM
Banned

Try looking for a Canadian Military 5 or 10 man arctic tent with a liner. We’d live in them in -30 weather with just a two burner Coleman stove and a lantern. A lot of agencies used the same so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are the same as the forestry ones.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Thank you for all the replies! I’ll look into the military ones as well. My Dad has a couple that he gave away 15-20 years ago that he didn’t see himself using anymore and they weren’t real great looking. Seems like lots of guys had them before and they ended up getting tossed or given away. I see the price of new tents and I struggle to spend that when I’m way out in the bush fishing or hunting and really just looking for a good old tent. I don’t need fancy, just mostly dry. Haha.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:24 AM

I still have a Alberta Forestry heavy canvus wall tent in my garage. They were good quality, seldom use it as prefer log cabins on trapline in my old age, however never know when I might want to set up a spike camp.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:39 PM

There is one on the Caroline FB buy and sell right now. Think the guy is from Olds though. 12x14 3.5 walls and 7.5 peak.
Want's $400
Built in '83. Looks to be in good shape

PM me your cell # if you're interested and I can pass it along to him
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikkaT3-7mm View Post
I wasn’t sure the best place to post this, but I’m wondering if anyone has one of the old Alberta Forestry Service (AFS) Surplus wall tents that they would be willing to part with? They went for cheap at auctions in the 90’s.
My dad bought three for 35.00/each at the auction. I had a little rot on mine and had Kovacs Shoe repair in Red Deer sew on an additional 3' so I would have a 5' wall. great deal!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
There is one on the Caroline FB buy and sell right now. Think the guy is from Olds though. 12x14 3.5 walls and 7.5 peak.
Want's $400
Built in '83. Looks to be in good shape

PM me your cell # if you're interested and I can pass it along to him
Mine says 1982 on it.