Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Default Anyone deal with this Co. ?

Doubt the forum will let me type in the link : http://unclewiener.com/

Looking at the Torch kit UW 1502

I'm an old guy & do not need much. Thought this may be a good choice ?

Any problems ?
Old 07-13-2020, 02:26 PM

they are next to princess auto.. i got some led tubes from them few years ago they are still working, everything is strait out of china and come in seacans. they are the old liquidation world quality YMMV .
Old 07-13-2020, 02:43 PM

Went there for the first time last month.

Top of the line Chinese junk......
Old 07-13-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Went there for the first time last month.

Top of the line Chinese junk......
This ^^^, but if you only need to use the thing a few times, like much of the stuff we by, it may be worth the risk.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:53 PM

Bought a sleeping bag from them. I should have known better, zipper used 3 times, threads coming out, zipper is shot.

If you can get what you need at Princess Auto, you might be better off.

BW
Old 07-13-2020, 04:42 PM

I have bought a few things from there, it is beyond junk. Had a few friends experience the same as me.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:55 PM

I bought an incubator there in February.
I'm pretty sure I got corona virus there too.

Incubator worked, but there's a reason it's the cheapest incubator available

Oh, also I bought a chicken plucker there 3 or 4 years ago. It works good enough for my needs. Plus I find it indescribably hilarious to say "Uncle wiener's chicken plucker"
Old 07-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I bought an incubator there in February.
I'm pretty sure I got corona virus there too.

Incubator worked, but there's a reason it's the cheapest incubator available

Oh, also I bought a chicken plucker there 3 or 4 years ago. It works good enough for my needs. Plus I find it indescribably hilarious to say "Uncle wiener's chicken plucker"
I saw that chicken plucker
Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 PM

Bought a couple rolls of fence from there, it's still fencing along.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Uncle wiener's is princess auto for people that believe that princess auto is too high class and fancy for them.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:37 AM

Not often I need a torch over the years.
Often I'll zip blade & grind what I need.

But I have 40-60 ish 4.5" round plates to cut, 1/4" thick.

Called a metal shop in Edmonton for a price to cut them & it's too much money.

Been watching for a used set. No good deals , yet.

P Auto has this , for a lot more money: https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...it/A-p8835910e
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Doubt the forum will let me type in the link : http://unclewiener.com/

Looking at the Torch kit UW 1502

I'm an old guy & do not need much. Thought this may be a good choice ?

Any problems ?
I have pretty much a whole set except hoses in a box from when I had a rig. send me an email and I can send you pictures. PM me your email and I will dig it out and see what is in the box.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Uncle wiener's is princess auto for people that believe that princess auto is too high class and fancy for them.
This sounds about right. The place has that odor of cheap rubber that smells as though the goods had also been through a fire, be it at the factory, on the container ship, or both. I couldn’t bring myself to spend a nickel there. I have no intention of returning, especially with how China is being these days.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 AM

Cheap Chinese, but then so is Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, Walmart and Peavey Mart.
You might find something useful, but look carefully first.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Cheap Chinese, but then so is Princess Auto, Canadian Tire, Walmart and Peavey Mart.
You might find something useful, but look carefully first.
haha the cheap Chinese from all the other companies have good warranty and better quality control.

Uncle wieners is sources from anyone in china and no quality control. Its a wannabe princess auto.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Warranty? Canadian Tire? You're kidding, eh.
No fan of any of the Chinese junk merchants, but we have so little choice.
Some small items are half the Princess Auto or Peavey Mart price at Dollarama.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:26 AM

Maybe find some quality used gear and don’t support China? If we can all wean ourselves back from that teat, the nation and the western world will be much better off.

I know it’s difficult, I’ve had trouble making purchases with my increased resolve to avoid sending money there. Taiwan made is OK, they’re at odds with China so a buy from them will help them fight China, but avoid buying from the PRC. I’m checking labels like mad, even on the most mundane purchases like socks.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Warranty? Canadian Tire? You're kidding, eh.
No fan of any of the Chinese junk merchants, but we have so little choice.
Some small items are half the Princess Auto or Peavey Mart price at Dollarama.
Yea man! I love it! I can bring back an individual Mastercraft socket or wrench I damaged no packaging and receipt needed and crappy tire will just exchange it.

Seems like good warranty to me!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Maybe find some quality used gear and don’t support China? If we can all wean ourselves back from that teat, the nation and the western world will be much better off.

I know it’s difficult, I’ve had trouble making purchases with my increased resolve to avoid sending money there. Taiwan made is OK, they’re at odds with China so a buy from them will help them fight China, but avoid buying from the PRC. I’m checking labels like mad, even on the most mundane purchases like socks.
Many people dont realise that when you buy clothing from alot of countries in asia you actually support North Korea haha. the DPRK trades alot of textiles to China. China makes a Nike and adidas shirt labeled MADE IN CHINA, It now gets imported to canada and we buy it.

DPRK just wins without you knowing haha

Respect wildlife
Old 07-14-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post

Too true. Even for something I am only going to use a couple of times I want better quality than the stuff these guys sell. Like so many others, I have for many years avoided made in China at all costs, to the point of sometimes not buying something at all if I can't find a non-China choice.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Goodyear semi tires, 1000.00 dollars and last 300,000 km. Long march semi tires, 275.00 dollars and last 300,000 km. I buy all my tires from China and the rate I get for my trucks it just makes sense. Never had a blowout with Chinese either, just don’t recap.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr View Post
Goodyear semi tires, 1000.00 dollars and last 300,000 km. Long march semi tires, 275.00 dollars and last 300,000 km. I buy all my tires from China and the rate I get for my trucks it just makes sense. Never had a blowout with Chinese either, just don’t recap.
That was interesting enough comment I looked a few things up. Interesting what Consumer Reports has to say. Short version, Country of Origin has not correlation to overall quality.

Quote:
Where Are Your Tires Made?
Consumer Reports shows how global the tire industry has become
By Gene Petersen
October 14, 2015
49 SHARES

Looking down a highway, it is plain to see that the automotive industry is truly a global enterprise. Cars are often assembled in countries far afield from the corporate headquarters, using parts from myriad countries. The same can be said for tires, as evidenced by the hundreds we bought to test last year.

The 72 car tire models we tested this year came from all over the world. This batch included 21 brands, with those tires made in 19 countries.

Tires manufactured in the United States were most numerous, but no single country was a majority source, as you'll see below. However, it is possible the production balance could shift stateside in the future, as several new tire plants are slated for construction in the U.S. in the next couple of years.

BFGoodrich, Cooper, Dunlop, Firestone, General, Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama currently build tires here in America, although these are not all truly American brands.

Where are tires made? Consumer Reports breaks it down.
For instance, BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin, based in France; Firestone is owned by Bridgestone (Japan); and General is owned by Continental (Germany). Yokohama is a Japanese company.

Complicating national pedigree further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country. The Goodyear tires we tested were built in Canada, Chile, Germany, and the U.S. Michelin tires were manufactured in Italy, Spain, and the U.S., but none came from France. And the tires we tested from Italian tire maker Pirelli were made in Mexico and Russia.

Our testing program showed no clear trend that would correlate performance with country of origin, even by tire type. Still, it is interesting to see that 40 percent of the all-season tires were made in the U.S.; in contrast only 1 of 23 winter tires was built here.

So, national bragging rights have no traction—especially when so many tires are not built in the brand’s home nation. The closest trend we found is that Consumer Reports’ top scoring all-season, performance all-season, and winter tires came from Italy, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Russia, and the U.S.

If you’re looking for the best tires for your car or truck, review Consumer Reports performance Ratings rather than judge by a tire’s nationality.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:54 AM

Another place to go and check are the pawn shops. I have bought power tools from these place for a quarter or less than new. I don't use them often, so new aren't necessary. If you like to negotiate, pawn shops are open to this.

Visiting a pawn shop could be worth your while, you never no what you might find.

BW
Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Another place to go and check are the pawn shops. I have bought power tools from these place for a quarter or less than new. I don't use them often, so new aren't necessary. If you like to negotiate, pawn shops are open to this.

Visiting a pawn shop could be worth your while, you never no what you might find.

BW
To me buying from Pawn shops is worse than buying made in China. The vast majority of the used tools they sell have been stolen by some methhead. Buying those stolen goods just provides an outlet for these Skells to keep stealing our stuff.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:24 AM

uncle wiener AR500 dueling tree.
AR500 it is not LOL

Have not been back since.

http://unclewiener.com/product/new-d...-target-arg58/

Old 07-15-2020, 12:39 AM

If it's only 1/4" plate you're cutting, I'd go with a cheap plasma cutter like the Cut-50. A couple hundred bucks on Amazon. My neighbor has one that I've used a few times and I plan on picking one up soon. I was just letting him be the guinea pig before I went ahead and ordered one lol
Old 07-15-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I have pretty much a whole set except hoses in a box from when I had a rig. send me an email and I can send you pictures. PM me your email and I will dig it out and see what is in the box.
I'll send a PM after this reply. I may still have hoses form many years ago.....I'll have to check my storage barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
If it's only 1/4" plate you're cutting, I'd go with a cheap plasma cutter like the Cut-50. A couple hundred bucks on Amazon. My neighbor has one that I've used a few times and I plan on picking one up soon. I was just letting him be the guinea pig before I went ahead and ordered one lol
Want mobile unit. Building a trailer for my old AC/DC gas welder in the next few days. Be handy to have Oxy/AC torches along with it.

Thanks every one for all the replies !
Old 07-16-2020, 03:54 AM

Bought a set at Peavey Mart yesterday.

Says made in Poland.