Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Orthoscopic shoulder surgery?

Has anybody had orthoscopic surgery done on their shoulders? What can I expect when I have mine done. Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:23 AM
Banned

Yes, I've had orthroscopic surgery on one shoulder. It's less invasive than open reduction (my second one). Four 1/4" incisions, two front and two back, and that was it. Recovery time isn't too long and with physio you should be good to go after a month, full strength after two.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:38 PM

Default Orthoscopic

Awesome, I sure hope so. I need both sides done to repair impingement problems. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Banned

Are you getting both done at the same time?
Old 07-13-2020, 12:40 PM

I had it done as well with results similar to Hunter Dave.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:58 PM

It all depends what is being done. I had my left one done in 2015 by Dr Hollinshead who was the best though retired now and just had right one done last December and still not back full time.
My left one was a full torn rotator cuff on all four plus arthritis scrapped out with two anchors.
Right one was bicep ripped off of shoulder, full rotator cuff on three, arthritis scrapped out plus two other rips I can’t pronounce and 4 anchors.
This one was done by Dr Lo who is awesome.
So depending on what is being done, how much damage they find when in there decides how quickly you heal and get back to close to 100%.
Both surgeons told me that everyone and every surgery is different when it comes to pain and recovery time. I don’t know what others have had done but with mine both surgeons said when they do go in they repair everything they find and they did with me.
After both surgeries I told myself never would I ever do it again with the pain I was in but both have been totally worth it as the pain I was in before surgery is gone.
I was fortunate as both were WCB injuries from work and I have been treated very well through both.
Old 07-13-2020, 01:02 PM

Default Orthoscopic shoulder

Having one done and later, the other.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:13 PM

Ian Lo did both of my shoulders. Had detached supraspinatus. One was done in 2016 and the other in 2018. I had to wear a brace for a minimum 5 weeks. Rehab was a good six months to get back to close to 100%.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:43 PM

hey trigger if you don't mind me asking yer age approximately. My shoulders are both blown right out and one bad elbow too. Too much crazy hard work when a guy was young. I'm close to 50 and curious as to the down time and if having severe shoulder issues at my age is normal. Thanks
Old 07-14-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Orthoscopic shoulder surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
hey trigger if you don't mind me asking yer age approximately. My shoulders are both blown right out and one bad elbow too. Too much crazy hard work when a guy was young. I'm close to 50 and curious as to the down time and if having severe shoulder issues at my age is normal. Thanks
Hi Pikeman, I’m 59 now, but have had serious shoulder problems for the last 2 years. 39 years of doing electrical work has taken its toll. I guess that’s what happens when you want to do everything yourself. Going hard every day eventually takes its toll.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 07-14-2020 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Extra content
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 PM

Default Orthoscopic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Ian Lo did both of my shoulders. Had detached supraspinatus. One was done in 2016 and the other in 2018. I had to wear a brace for a minimum 5 weeks. Rehab was a good six months to get back to close to 100%.
Did they do that orthoscopically, or did they open your shoulder up?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Hi Pikeman, I’m 59 now, but have had serious shoulder problems for the last 2 years. 39 years of doing electrical work has taken its toll. I guess that’s what happens when you want to do everything yourself. Going hard every day eventually takes its toll.
Thanks for the reply. I hope it all goes good for ya. The pain is brutal in my case. Makes a guy pretty sour to work around or so I'm told. I'm gonna get mine fixed too.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:16 PM

Default Orthoscopic

Being the hard, physical, worker that you are, you’ve probably been hammering on your shoulders for the last 30 years. Your body can only take so much. Getting old isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. Hopefully you can get fixed up before it is too far gone. I’ve spent many nights sitting up all night long with ice on my shoulders. Pain killers don’t help much. That includes hydromorphine. Cortisone gives relief, but it’s temporary. Good luck and take care.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 07-14-2020 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Did they do that orthoscopically, or did they open your shoulder up?
Orthoscopic. Had it anchored back to the bone. 2 holes in the front of my shoulder and 2 holes in the back. The left shoulder started giving me issues in 2005. The right one was only about 2012. Finally got the left one looked at in 2015 when I started having issues with weight above my head. Arm would just fall, with no strength above shoulder height.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 AM

I had arthroscopy on my left shoulder for a slap repair and it was 3 months of recovery. Later on I had the same shoulder opened up for a hemi-cap install and that was a lot more pain and longer recovery, about 6 months to a year to recover from that one. Do your physio and exercises and good luck!
I had mine done in Banff.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-15-2020, 09:07 AM

I know if not the "Shoulder" but my son had his knee done arthroscopically and I was quite amazed at how little pain and discomfort he had and how quickly he was up and about.

In his case (a soccer injury) they had to remove some bone that had chipped off his knee, remove a part of his knee cap and repair a bunch of tendons and stuff - it was described as extensive.

I think this type of surgery is innovative and non evasive compared to "the old days" - so you are in good hands.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:12 AM

I had mine done due to a hockey injury that led to 4 or 5 more dislocations. It took forever to finally get in for the surgery, but the surgery itself was pretty short and straightforward. I don't recall it being particularly painful or difficult to recover from, but I was also only 21 or 22 at the time.