Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well, at the risk of angering some... should pro sports teams in 2020 really be named after identifiable people groups? Are there not better monikers and mascots out there?

I am an Eskimos fan. It's a stupid name. Would any group of kids on the playground or new school choosing a team name ever choose "Eskimos?" "Hey, we are the Eskimos!"

I think not.

Change the damn name and move on. The uniforms and logo are pure crap anyhow. Be honest. EE? Lame. Compare them to any other team in the league and they suck. My kids, who loved coming to games when they were little, never once asked me for an Eskimos anything. However, my son asks, and now buys on his own, lots of NFL gear,

I have no idea who that school is named after, but if a school is named after someone who was a bad apple then change that name and move on.

I know it has to end somewhere, but times change. Change is the only constant in life, and the angriest people I encounter are those who get their underwear in a really tight knot over stuff like this. The older I get, the more I refuse to get wound up over miniscule stuff like this.

Bang on, on all counts!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope, not in the slightest. Just enjoying my second cup of coffee

Only thing that makes me angry about football is that the dude who runs the CFL asks for in excess of $100 million to prop up a money losing league when hardworking Albertans can't make their payments.

As for the name, it was game over the moment Bel Air Direct said they are pulling their sponsorship money.

Here is my take on things. Their are always gonna be dark chapters in a nation's history. You can't change that. However, if you celebrate those dark chapters then something is kinda off plumb. Cheering the name of a people group that were rounded up and given tags identifying them as Eskimos before they plucked them away from mom and dad, so they could go and become little Europeans, when a fast dude takes the pigskin into the end zone is a touch off plumb. It just is. Divorce yourself from the great on field results of the team in the 50s and 80s - which can be hard - and most reasonable people will agree.

In a year or two no one will care. Same as that school name someone referred to. Change is always hard in the moment. But some things are okay to change. This is likely one of them.
aaaand I am saying we are not even keeled to make any rational decisions so lets take a step back...regroup...and go from there.....most reasonable people will agree....
right now the whole freain' world is wound up tighter than grandma's alarm clock....not a time to start building new foundations....these will definitely crumble sooner than later.
but then again look at society now...one step forward and two steps back...very unstable.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2020, 11:12 AM

Guess this forum needs to change with the times. I’m sure the females don’t appreciate the gender inequalities
Old 07-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Just a tid bit of James Short

James Short Park and School could be renamed due to history of anti-Chinese racism.
Short was a lawyer and school principal who served as an alderman on Calgary city council. But in 1910, he also helped lead an effort to stop Chinese Calgarians from establishing the Chinatown that still stands today, just south of the Bow River. Short was the lawyer and spokesperson for a group that said this couldn’t be allowed because property values would be reduced if Chinese people moved into the area. According to a historical context paper published by the City of Calgary, there was a “significant push” to segregate Chinese people throughout Calgary instead of allowing a Chinatown community.
There are no easy answers.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Guess this forum needs to change with the times. I’m sure the females don’t appreciate the gender inequalities
that will be coming down the pipe too....the way we are going....Alberta Outdoors Enthusiasts….kinda like it....make the dam change and be done with it I say

Old 07-14-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
aaaand I am saying we are not even keeled to make any rational decisions so lets take a step back...regroup...and go from there.....most reasonable people will agree....
right now the whole freain' world is wound up tighter than grandma's alarm clock....not a time to start building new foundations....these will definitely crumble sooner than later.
but then again look at society now...one step forward and two steps back...very unstable.
Do you think it is ever gonna be ok for a sports team to have their mascot named after an identifiable people group that was made to eat the crap end of the stick?

I don't think so. So, I say do the inevitable and move on. Sports is not the hill I would choose to die on. That's all I am saying.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. How will it personally hurt you if the Redskins, Blackhawks, Braves or Eskimos to change their name? What aspect of Canadiana or Americana will be irreparably damaged?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
it honors these people as being united, a very team spirited warrior driven entity is how I see it....
That first one, not so much. But I agree the others honor a people group, the way I see it anyways. Just like the Vikings.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
We have become a society of pansies and weaklings , offended at the most insignificant things and demanding things get changed because they are "offensive", and changing names of of things like sport teams and food because we no longer wish to offend other people.
In am NOT responsible for something that happened that I am not directly connected with , and I will be dammed if I will apologize for ANYTHING I had no direct connection with .
As far as sports teams names go , screw them , they are entertainers only.
Cat
This is a response to the first part "bolded"
I disagree cat. Much of the change is based on "the right thing to do". But i understand that most people just dont like change. And totally disregard or dont understand whether or not its the right thing to do or why its wrong to have/use it.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM

Surely none of you guys are going to defend the Residential School Experience in our history as being an amoral thing? That is where the impetus in Canada to change that name comes from. In the US it is because the gov't just beat them down and tried to wipe em out.

Anyhow, on with my day.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Do you think it is ever gonna be ok for a sports team to have their mascot named after an identifiable people group that was made to eat the crap end of the stick?

I don't think so. So, I say do the inevitable and move on. Sports is not the hill I would choose to die on. That's all I am saying.

Let me play devil's advocate for a moment. How will it personally hurt you if the Redskins, Blackhawks, Braves or Eskimos to change their name? What aspect of Canadiana or Americana will be irreparably damaged?
I just see it as honouring a culture for how proud they stand as one, united and if a team which is like that culture driven as individuals to become one together for a united outcome then so be it...this has nothing to do with eating the poop end of a stick or whatever happened 100-150 years ago...its respecting what the culture stands for and its an honour to respectfully fly their colors. name etc....

Old 07-14-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I disagree cat. Much of the change is based on "the right thing to do". But i understand that most people just dont like change. And totally disregard or dont understand whether or not its the right thing to do or why its wrong to have/use it.
"The right thing to do"??
What a crock , we may as well change the names of all the cities in Canada even the English ones, I'm sure done natives take offence to the name Vancouver
I just sent s package to Nrw Brunswick to a place called Indian River or some town like that . Are they obligated to change that name or any of the other native names because dobro be thinks it is the right thing to do?
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Before I go, I am going to let you all in on some inside info regarding the Redskins' new name and logo. Here it is...

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Surely none of you guys are going to defend the Residential School Experience in our history as being an amoral thing? That is where the impetus in Canada to change that name comes from. In the US it is because the gov't just beat them down and tried to wipe em out.

Anyhow, on with my day.
But to bury it and tear down statues because they had something to do with residential schools is absurd!
History must be learned from not hidden .
Auswithz is a perfect example .
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I just see it as honouring a culture for how proud they stand as one, united and if a team which is like that culture driven as individuals to become one together for a united outcome then so be it...this has nothing to do with eating the poop end of a stick or whatever happened 100-150 years ago...its respecting what the culture stands for and its an honour to respectfully fly their colors. name etc....
That may very well have been their original intent. I cant say. However, it sure isn't viewed that way by many in society today. It's okay to disagree though.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
But to bury it and tear down statues because they had something to do with residential schools is absurd!

History must be learned from not hidden .

Auswithz is a perfect example .

Cat
One of these needs to stand forever as a stark reminder of the evil a human heart is capable of. The other is not that important. I'll let you choose which one.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
"The right thing to do"??
What a crock , we may as well change the names of all the cities in Canada even the English ones, I'm sure done natives take offence to the name Vancouver
I just sent s package to Nrw Brunswick to a place called Indian River or some town like that . Are they obligated to change that name or any of the other native names because dobro be thinks it is the right thing to do?
Cat
If the town decides to change its name, I am ok with it. Ok with it if they choose not to as well. Family member born in Indian Head Sask.

I am not going to get bent out of shape for name changes. And if you dont think at least some things need name changes well.....

You are entitled to your opinion.

Have a good one cat!

Old 07-14-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Before I go, I am going to let you all in on some inside info regarding the Redskins' new name and logo. Here it is...

Lol

Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That may very well have been their original intent. I cant say. However, it sure isn't viewed that way by many in society today. It's okay to disagree though.
I hate rainy, high windy days....not enough lake time

one thing is for sure we are going through some fast paced times....

Old 07-14-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
If the town decides to change its name, I am ok with it. Ok with it if they choose not to as well. Family member born in Indian Head Sask.

I am not going to get bent out of shape for name changes. And if you dont think at least some things need name changes well.....

You are entitled to your opinion.

Have a good one cat!
Port Arthur and Fort William were named after relatives of mine , same as McVicar Arm on one out great northern Lakes .
The two cities became Thunder Bay, I can only imagine to amalgamate, I have no issue with that .
However if the councils changed the names because some some social justice warrior was offended because they thought my ancestors exploited the natives because they were employed by the HBC and NWC, that is nothing but giving in for no good reason .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-14-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:44 PM

The Edmonton Emoticons
Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Edmonton non offenders.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Edmonton non offenders.
That may offend people who are fans of the team that do not live in the immediate area.

Northern Alberta Acceptance.

"Certain" players should only play offensive and defensive line and the others should be protected behind them.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM

Edmonton emu's
Old 07-14-2020, 01:04 PM

The asteriod can't come fast enough.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Do an online contest.....

You KNOW I’m goin for

Teamy McTeamface
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hell no. No slaves here. In 1920, Great Baba, after she did her chores was still picking stones out of the quarter her and my great grandfather homesteaded in Lamont county. They were poor folks in the old country too, which is why they came here in the first place in 1896.

In all seriousness, please tell me why it is okay to have a people group as your sports team name? If I were Inuit, I would say "I am not your bloody mascot!"

And don't go accusing me of being a lefty because I'm a teacher. My sig line, as well as UCP and CPC memberships, scream my political leaning. LOL.
First off, agree 110% with your original post. I would also add it seems like us "old white guys" are the ones with our feelers hurt just as much as the people we have bene offending all these years and the shoe on the other foot doesn't fit does it … lol.

Your last comment struck another cord too. Many of us on here have been accused of being liberals or whatever yet, I have to laugh, as people who really pay attention will know that's not the case.

If being socially conscious and aware of issues we have and need to correct makes me a liberal - then we are all missing the point.

I just want my kids to grow up in a better world without (or at least with less) bigotry, racism, sexism, corruption and want them to value truth and credibility and all the other things that have seemly gone into the toilet in recent years.

I also won't raise snowflakes. And that's a tough balancing act for a parent.

If the Redskins become the Warriors - I'm 100% cool with that. The only guys complaining are the old white guys who are acting like snowflakes.

It's time for us to evolve. For the better - and comments like "enjoy the decline" cut both ways.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:38 PM

Well, Im glad its only one name change

I hope the CFL does an extensive name search to ensure there are no trademark issues or confusing scenarios...like two teams having the same name or something stupid like that.......
Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Well, at the risk of angering some... should pro sports teams in 2020 really be named after identifiable people groups? Are there not better monikers and mascots out there?

I am an Eskimos fan. It's a stupid name. Would any group of kids on the playground or new school choosing a team name ever choose "Eskimos?" "Hey, we are the Eskimos!"

I think not.

Change the damn name and move on. The uniforms and logo are pure crap anyhow. Be honest. EE? Lame. Compare them to any other team in the league and they suck. My kids, who loved coming to games when they were little, never once asked me for an Eskimos anything. However, my son asks, and now buys on his own, lots of NFL gear,

I have no idea who that school is named after, but if a school is named after someone who was a bad apple then change that name and move on.

I know it has to end somewhere, but times change. Change is the only constant in life, and the angriest people I encounter are those who get their underwear in a really tight knot over stuff like this. The older I get, the more I refuse to get wound up over miniscule stuff like this.
Alaskan Natives still call themselves Eskimos . There are Indian Reserves in the lower 48 and nobody gets excited.

Grizz
Old 07-14-2020, 01:57 PM

Default Times are changing

Yes I agree the times are changing. But are they truly changing for the better? Its a fair question. Some may think yes they are. I dont agree. I see our current changes like those that happened before the fall of Rome.

Devalue Currency / Check

Unfettered imigration / Check

Moral decay/ Check

Gender blurring / Check

Abandon history and culture /Check

Vilify the masuline / Check

Just guessing on this one, decrease testorone probably according to art from the different periods
Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM

The Eskimoes are not named to demean the Inuit people. The team was named after a group of people that live in the toughest environment and overcome and excel. Seems like a good spirit for a team wouldn't you say?

It is a place of honour bestowed upon that group.

The Inuit are not upset with the Edmonton Eskimoes. The team have consulted Inuit leaders of Canada like 3 times in the past decade to see if this is an offensive name. Each time the group has resoundingly replied back no it is not offensive. It is a point of pride and honour for them. SO if its not offending the Inuit who is it offending?

Nobody. But a social justice insurance company wants a feather to stick in their cap as a trophy of virtue to signal out to the world. That is all this amounts to.

So much like the folks that just had their AR's banned, and the shotgunners quietly said nothing. They will come for the statues, monuments and entire history next. Don't kid yourself if you think they are done at sports teams.

Then we will get into the millions in tax dollars when towns, schools, monuments, roads, trails, yada yada yada needs to paid for to be renamed. Perfectly good money wasted to whitewash reality.

Enjoy the decline.

Also, Canadians have no idea what a conservative is. Socialism with a blue tie doesn't make one a conservative. (This was directed at everyone playing the liberal/conservative token. I'm making this note as I was scared it may have felt like I was picking on, or singling out EZM)