Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 PM

Default Cancel draw tag?

Sooooo...
Had a mishap while converting my cargo trailer to a toyhauler camper and cut off 1/2” of my trigger finger (and damaged the nerves of my middle finger). I’ve spent 12 priority points on an archery antelope tag, and it doesn’t look like I’ll be recovered in time to shoot properly.
Does anyone know if there’s a procedure to cancel the draw tag and reset my priority for medical reasons?
This just happened today - looks like I’ll be going for a surgery tomorrow to have them grind down the tip of the bone and stitch up what’s left of the tip.
Maybe I’ll get a discount for a manicure!!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:49 PM

No you can no longer cancel a draw... it was in bold letters this year in the regs.

LC
Old 07-13-2020, 10:50 PM

They’ve somewhat loosened the crossbow requirements.. you could look at that route.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:51 PM

I can’t imagine you won’t be healed up by fall. You got this!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:55 PM

SPECIAL LICENCES
If you are drawn for a special licence your draw priority returns to zero and that draw cannot be cancelled. You may not be able to purchase a particular general licence once you have been drawn for a special licence of that same species. Example: if you are drawn for Antlered Mule Deer or Antlered White-tailed Deer, you will not be able to purchase a general licence for that species. If you are drawn for Either Sex Elk, WMU 300 Elk, Antlered or Antlerless Elk you will not be able to purchase a general elk licence. Resident hunters are able to purchase an elk licence in combination with the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Archery and the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence. See licence combinations on page 42.

If you are drawn for a Special Licence, the authorization to purchase that licence cannot be cancelled. All licences and applications are Non-Refundable and Non-Transferable.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 PM

Learn to shoot with the opposite hand?
Old 07-14-2020, 12:49 AM

Default This.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Learn to shoot with the opposite hand?
Good Stuff MountainTi.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 AM

Call Relm and ask for their help and advice. There have been exceptional circumstances in the past that have been done outside the general regulations. The are pretty good at applying common sense and some empathy.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:09 AM

Learn to shoot a thumb trigger release?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
SPECIAL LICENCES
If you are drawn for a special licence your draw priority returns to zero and that draw cannot be cancelled. You may not be able to purchase a particular general licence once you have been drawn for a special licence of that same species. Example: if you are drawn for Antlered Mule Deer or Antlered White-tailed Deer, you will not be able to purchase a general licence for that species. If you are drawn for Either Sex Elk, WMU 300 Elk, Antlered or Antlerless Elk you will not be able to purchase a general elk licence. Resident hunters are able to purchase an elk licence in combination with the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Archery and the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence. See licence combinations on page 42.

If you are drawn for a Special Licence, the authorization to purchase that licence cannot be cancelled. All licences and applications are Non-Refundable and Non-Transferable.
Unfortunately, people that abused the system, by drawing tags, and then not purchasing them, so that they could purchase other tags caused this.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Come to think of it, I asked for my trophy antelope draw to be “cancelled” as I had an injury. Completely Tore off by biceps, that’s worst than a finger
They said if they cancelled it then I wouldn’t be able to hunt at all for the season.
I shot my rifle left handed that year.

When you get injured it screws up your brain too, first there’s denial that it will affect your abilities, finally after a lot of anguish you’ll accept it and come up with a way or quit bowhunting.

I bought a drawlock for my bow and shot a nice whitetail in the general season.
I’ve still got it if you’re interested get ahold of me.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Come to think of it, I asked for my trophy antelope draw to be “cancelled” as I had an injury. Completely Tore off by biceps, that’s worst than a finger
They said if they cancelled it then I wouldn’t be able to hunt at all for the season.
I shot my rifle left handed that year.

When you get injured it screws up your brain too, first there’s denial that it will affect your abilities, finally after a lot of anguish you’ll accept it and come up with a way or quit bowhunting.

I bought a drawlock for my bow and shot a nice whitetail in the general season.
I’ve still got it if you’re interested get ahold of me.
Unless he gets a disabled permit, the use of a drawlock would not be legal for archery antelope.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:21 AM

Implementing a deadline for unpurchased licences to be re-issued would allow some leeway for hunters that experience injury or other unforeseen events to relinquish draw tags for others to use.

F&W seems intent on increasing hunter's financial commitment to participate in this lifestyle (mandatory wildlife certificate before draw applications, anticipated increase in licence fees). Mandatory purchase of draw tags with a potential to re-issue tags would follow suit.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 PM

It has happened in the past . I know a guy who's wife drew a moose tag . She took a tumble and shattered her elbow and was allowed to void her draw tag .
Old 07-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Good grief

If you just would have voted Liberal, stayed at home, got high, and collected welfare, you wouldnt be in this predicament......

WTH were you thinking???????
Old 07-14-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
It has happened in the past . I know a guy who's wife drew a moose tag . She took a tumble and shattered her elbow and was allowed to void her draw tag .
Not anymore... what I posted above is new policy this year.

LC
Old 07-14-2020, 02:48 PM

OP

Let us know what RELM says when u call them please. I would be disappointed if there was no way to accommodate you but the way things are going I would not be surprised.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Unless he gets a disabled permit, the use of a drawlock would not be legal for archery antelope.
Ah yes... I forgot it was for the archery season.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Ah yes... I forgot it was for the archery season.
I don't bow hunt any more so this may seem like a dumb question but why can you use a drawlock during gun season and not in archery season. Drawlock wasn't around when I bow hunted.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I don't bow hunt any more so this may seem like a dumb question but why can you use a drawlock during gun season and not in archery season. Drawlock wasn't around when I bow hunted.
From the regulations for archery..

Quote:
Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.).
Old 07-14-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Draw locks are very rare... but they do not fall under the definition of archery as per Alberta regs, much like crossbows do not. They do however fall under the “General season” regs.

LC
Old 07-14-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
Sooooo...
Had a mishap while converting my cargo trailer to a toyhauler camper and cut off 1/2” of my trigger finger (and damaged the nerves of my middle finger). I’ve spent 12 priority points on an archery antelope tag, and it doesn’t look like I’ll be recovered in time to shoot properly.
Does anyone know if there’s a procedure to cancel the draw tag and reset my priority for medical reasons?
This just happened today - looks like I’ll be going for a surgery tomorrow to have them grind down the tip of the bone and stitch up what’s left of the tip.
Maybe I’ll get a discount for a manicure!!
That just sucks!
I would try to make some phone calls to see if SRD will make an exception, you never know but you might be out of luck.
Loosing the trigger finger would be the worst.
Maybe you can recover enough in time to go and have some good friends that will help you out.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:18 PM

You will be opening beer cans with that finger in a couple weeks .. go huntin
Old 07-14-2020, 08:10 PM

Maybe partner with a youth, make the best of a difficult situation.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 PM

Can’t imagine how a finger tip would get in the way of my antelope archery this year. My brother in law tore his thumb open with a crossbow. Took his best elk the next day.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:39 AM

Default Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Can’t imagine how a finger tip would get in the way of my antelope archery this year. My brother in law tore his thumb open with a crossbow. Took his best elk the next day.
Really, he lost 1/2 of his trigger finger, and is in surgery tomorrow, and damaged a nerve. Lol after waiting that long wouldnt you want to be in top condition for the hunt?
Almost every US state has a medical emergency/injury rule for returning drawn tags. Alberta as always missed the boat again. Its not easy to scam, your doctor fills out the paperwork.
Does anyone know why they made a decision this year not to have the opportunity to do this? Its only reasonable.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Really, he lost 1/2 of his trigger finger, and is in surgery tomorrow, and damaged a nerve. Lol after waiting that long wouldnt you want to be in top condition for the hunt?
Almost every US state has a medical emergency/injury rule for returning drawn tags. Alberta as always missed the boat again. Its not easy to scam, your doctor fills out the paperwork.
Does anyone know why they made a decision this year not to have the opportunity to do this? Its only reasonable.
Those draws n the USA that you are referring to, require you to pay up front to enter the draw, so the person drawing the tag can be out considerable expense if they can't hunt. In Alberta, many people that drew tags don't purchase the tag after denying someone else that tag, in many cases, simply because they changed their mind with no justification, and they don't lose any money . So now everyone pays when the rules are changed to put an end to this. It's unfortunate, but once again, a few abusers, ruin things for everyone. And I don't doubt that due to covid, they don't want any more work for the people involved in the draw system, to have to deal with this type of situation.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Those draws n the USA that you are referring to, require you to pay up front to enter the draw, so the person drawing the tag can be out considerable expense if they can't hunt. In Alberta, many people that drew tags don't purchase the tag after denying someone else that tag, in many cases, simply because they changed their mind with no justification, and they don't lose any money . So now everyone pays when the rules are changed to put an end to this. It's unfortunate, but once again, a few abusers, ruin things for everyone. And I don't doubt that due to covid, they don't want any more work for the people involved in the draw system, to have to deal with this type of situation.
No not true Elk, a few states are like you described, New Mexico, Wyoming etc, most are not though. For instance Oregon, where i drew a Roosevelt elk permit this season. Like us, if drawn you then pay for the tag. In the regs they have all the info for returning a tag, medical, circumstances beyond your control etc.
Some places let you return a tag up to the day prior, for a partial refund.
What you explained above certainly doesnt correct the cash input at all because many of thise folks still wont purchase the tag, as there is no requirement to.
If a company or government is still choosing to treat all to the lowest common denominator, then they are clearly creatively poor thinkers. There are many great models for hunting draws and processes. To deny an injured hunter who is a long time customer the ability to Return his tag due to medical reasons is frankly foolish business. As a long time Albertan, its embarrassing. Showing some compassion to a fellow hunter sure seems week, at least here.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:27 AM

At update from the OP on this? I am sure by now a phone call or two has been made...

LC
Old 07-17-2020, 09:28 AM

Can you try shooting and pull the trigger with your middle finger, or even thumb? There are ways around the injury, just have to practice and see what’s possible.

LC