Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Default New Canada Post requirements to ship guns

Didn't hear anything about this prior, but it's come to my attention that due to new "covid-19 protocol", a few things changed, as follows:

Canada:

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Program at https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:

Customer Type

Service To Be Used

Consumer

Regular Parcel with Signature option.

Due to changes to our delivery processes for COVID-19, all firearms must be shipped by Regular or Expedited Parcel and include the Proof of Age option. Consumers have to open a Solutions for Small Business account and create labels for shipping firearms using the online shipping tool, Snap Ship.

Contract customer

Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit Section Mail addressed to children of Policies for an age of majority by province or territory listing.

Customers who wish to ship firearms must:
•unload the firearms - there cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package (bullets, cartridges and other ammunition are dangerous goods)
•attach a secure locking device to the firearms
•lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container, and
•remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).

Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations.

Kind of a pain having to make a shipping label, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The cynic in me sees it as a little hinky, but then once you are on snap ship it's cheaper to send everything using it.

Not sure how it's supposed to prevent anything; mostly all they had to do was follow existing instructions the way most of us ship stuff like that. Age requirement doesn't guarantee anything either...

Sorry for the weird format, from copy/paste.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM

I was just sent a "precision paper punching machine" from a friend.
period done, makes no difference because it is inanimate and none of anybody elses' business what is in my mail.
Covid19??
Just what in blazes does that have to do with shipping stuff??
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 03:34 PM

Yep, just sent one out this morning and did it this way. Set up an account which is good as I get a pretty good discount on shipping through CP from now on.
The label part is easy as you just show the clerk your bar code from the email you get. They scan it and it prints the labels out for them to attach.
Easy peasy...
Old 07-14-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
period done, makes no difference because it is inanimate and none of anybody elses' business what is in my mail.
Covid19??
Cat
Couldn’t agree more. No one’s business what is in my mail or what I’m mailing to others.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Covid19??
Cat
Agreed. A package is a package.

To me, it sounds like they got in crap over the careless way they delivered, or lost stuff, and someone did some screaming and hollering over a "lost gun in criminals hands". So their new rules are supposed to cover their butts.

Something similar happened with rocket tubes that a fella bought online a few years back. They took a little long getting there, so he went off about it; and an unregulated tube, good for nothing but a curio turned into a prohibited (IIRC) device over the debacle.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Covid19??
Cat
The new protocol is to knock on the door drop the package and run back to the truck. No contact
I do not know why CP doesn’t have a pickup option
I used the ship in a click option until I couldn’t print the label a CP glitch, after numerous phone calls and emails I did get a refund 6 months later
Old 07-14-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The new protocol is to knock on the door drop the package and run back to the truck. No contact
I do not know why CP doesn’t have a pickup option
I used the ship in a click option until I couldn’t print the label a CP glitch, after numerous phone calls and emails I did get a refund 6 months later
Actually a signature is required and proof of age to pick up...
Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 AM
Shooting Xs

My regular Postie tells me they're not collecting signatures on home deliveries.
I just had one mailed to me from RD in a box ,not under the new protocol, took the P/U notice to the neighbourhood PO and had to show ID to confirm i was the receiver ,no signature.The CP sticker on the box stated "DO NOT HOT DROP". First time for that one.