Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 01:53 AM

Default high volume target shooting

Hi fellas,
I am shooting 3 or 4 boxes of 3006 ammo from my Remington 786 at
the range . and as many boxes of 3030 in my marlin . I make range trips into events . ( had 20 years with a wife who hated guns ).
question is : How likely am I to wreck a perfectly nice rifle shooting like this ?
I do let the barrel cool a bit after each box and switch rifles and set up new
paper targets but that barrel does get hot .

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_okotoks View Post
Hi fellas,
the range . and as many boxes of 3030 in my marlin . I make range trips into events . ( had 20 years with a wife who hated guns ).
question is : How likely am I to wreck a perfectly nice rifle shooting like this ?

If the barrel is getting hotter than you can comfortably hold with bare fingers then you are wearing the barrel faster than optimal. Also, shooting 80 rounds of 30-06 at a sitting, my bet is that the last 30 aren't grouping near as well as the first 50 just due to fatigue. Practicing bad form is not helping your shooting. Far better to shoot less and concentrate on perfect form, breathing and trigger release.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If the barrel is getting hotter than you can comfortably hold with bare fingers then you are wearing the barrel faster than optimal. Also, shooting 80 rounds of 30-06 at a sitting, my bet is that the last 30 aren't grouping near as well as the first 50 just due to fatigue. Practicing bad form is not helping your shooting. Far better to shoot less and concentrate on perfect form, breathing and trigger release.
Agreed. But, I recommend shooting lots. So buy a 223. :-)

-Billy Molls
Old 07-13-2020, 08:46 AM

You are definitely shortening the barrel life by shooting with it that hot. I would take a 22lr along, and shoot a group with the 30-06, then shoot the 22lr until the barrel on the 30-06 is cool. Choosing a 22lr that is similar in size and feel, with a similar trigger, is also a good idea.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:21 AM

some people have devised a contraption using computer cooling fans to blow air through the barrel to cool it down faster between strings.
https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/acce...der-the-collar
Old 07-13-2020, 10:46 AM

If your shooting 20 rounds at a time before cooling the barrel then you are defiantly hurting your barrel. 3-5 shot strings in that rifle is the absolute max you should fire before cooling the barrel ( Same with your 30-30). Even big heavy barrel rifles wear out quicker when you shoot longer strings of 5 or more rounds....

The hot gasses from a fired rounds act very much like a cutting torch on metal.
You can heat the metal up... but at a certain point.... the flame starts to cut the metal, that is what your trying to avoid.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

The hot gasses from a fired rounds act very much like a cutting torch on metal.
You can heat the metal up... but at a certain point.... the flame starts to cut the metal, that is what your trying to avoid.
That description just makes me sad. I love my guns.
Haha
Old 07-13-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
That description just makes me sad. I love my guns.
Haha
Barrels Ars s living thing, especially on high volume rifles shot at God range of in matches .
On a match rifle that last thing I am worried about is how long the accuracy will last, when it goes the barrel gets re -chambered or changed .
Cat
Old 07-13-2020, 05:41 PM

thanks guys.
dammit, I think I may have to buy more guns and alternate in between .
I start at 100 yrds, then move out to 200 ,then 300 . so maybe hot barrel at 300 is why I suck at this . it may not be all me .I still mostly hit the paper plate at 300 but all over.

I met a kid shooting at 600 yrds. he only fired a few shots and took a rest break . I can't even see 600 yards . crazy. I will be happy when I can get to 500.

much appreciated comments. thanks
Old 07-13-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Agreed. But, I recommend shooting lots. So buy a 223. :-)
I was googling a Ruger American Ranch rifles, one in 7.62 X 39 if that is possible in Alberta . those 7.62 rounds are still cheap , 1/3 what the 3006 costs. I purchased a case in calgary for $395 for my type 81 but find I am more a bolt rifle and scope guy .going to sell the type 81 I think.
Also , to some of the members here on AO forum, I apologize , but I had to put a scope on my marlin lever . old eyeballs .
Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was googling a Ruger American Ranch rifles, one in 7.62 X 39 if that is possible in Alberta . those 7.62 rounds are still cheap , 1/3 what the 3006 costs. I purchased a case in calgary for $395 for my type 81 but find I am more a bolt rifle and scope guy .going to sell the type 81 I think.
Also , to some of the members here on AO forum, I apologize , but I had to put a scope on my marlin lever . old eyeballs .
great choice, barrel life would be tough to beat, ranges would be limited on big game but still useful inside couple hundred yards
Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Surplus 7.62x39 ammo is corrosive, so maybe the savings aren’t what you think in the end.
Personally go buy a good .22 rim fire, and spend your time beyond 50 meters with it.
For Center fire go buy a .223 Rem.
For bigger you can’t go wrong with a .308 Win.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 AM

I agree with what dick284 said a 22 and 223 will get you way further in learning to shoot and cost effectiveness when compared to 7.62x39. 7.62x39 surplus ammo is not meant for accuracy so you will struggle to get consistent hits past 250 and will need to strip and clean the whole thing each trip cause if the corrosive ammo.
You can still shoot the guns you have as long as you take breaks once the barrel is hot.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-14-2020, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
great choice, barrel life would be tough to beat, ranges would be limited on big game but still useful inside couple hundred yards
i just wanted a rifle I can shoot the crap out of it haha. was not planning to hunt with the 7.62x39. I am not a successful hunter. I sound like Darth Vader when hiking up and down the Porcupine Hills and the one time I was sitting in my blind and saw a beauty of a whitetail , I was so busy gawking at it ,i forgot I was supposed to shoot until his ass end was back into the trees. 2 other times I saw whitetails they were on the wrong side of a fence = pizza for dinner.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
I agree with what dick284 said a 22 and 223 will get you way further in learning to shoot and cost effectiveness when compared to 7.62x39. 7.62x39 surplus ammo is not meant for accuracy so you will struggle to get consistent hits past 250 and will need to strip and clean the whole thing each trip cause if the corrosive ammo.
You can still shoot the guns you have as long as you take breaks once the barrel is hot.
ok , thanks. I'll start googling 223 rifles.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:33 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
ok , thanks. I'll start googling 223 rifles.
Really good barrel life,look for a rifle with a 1 in 9 twist barrel,you won't be limited to lighter bullets like a 1 in 12 twist.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:35 PM

One of the 6.5's can provide very realistic practise for about 2/3 the price of a 30-06 round. A 6.5 Creedmoor would do the job.

A 180gr 30 calibre Accubond and a 130gr 6.5mm Sierra Gamechanger have very similar BC. Both can be loaded to similar velocities. The ballistics would be similar.

The Gamechanger costs about 1/2 as much as an Accubond. A cartridge like a Creedmoor or a 260Rem will use less powder as well, making for an economical, low recoiling practice round.

And, a guy gets to buy another gun which is always a good thing.

Of course, a 22lr would be a top choice when honing your shooting skills.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Hi fellas,

I think your fine. Burn those barrels out and slap a new one on. Shooting to much is never a problem. Shooting enough is for most.