Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
A stone glacier hat, that's considered high end to some.
Really? A Stone Glacier trucker hat? High end?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2020, 07:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I agree my nephew needed new hunting clothes as he is now a young adult. Brown Carhartt jacket and insulated bibs for deer hunting. Can also be used to help work on cars,around the yard, ice fishing. Deer didnt notice him from 200m in the tree stand. Just scouted and put a stand next to a known travel corridor. If a guy wants the gadgets great knock your socks off. Just dont say they are necessary.
exactly...I got an ol BSA 303 …. 1915.....keep it simple and have fun.

I do run game cams too.....more for something to do

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-14-2020, 07:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Come on, so you are telling me that $400 for a pair of gloves is not reasonable??
gotta match your boots

ohhh and on you way out check your butt poise in the mirror too....cuz when you look good you feel good.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:58 AM

In all of this, let’s not pretend that all hunters are hunting under the same conditions either.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
In all of this, let’s not pretend that all hunters are hunting under the same conditions either.
Exactly, you can't compare the guy hiking for sheep or elk to the guy that only gets out of his truck to shoot and load his deer.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan84 View Post
An older family friend once commented to me how interesting it is that every sport, hobby and the like had various "costumes". Now everywhere I go I see costumes. Bikers(both motorized and not), hunters, golfers etc. Kinda puts alot of the marketing wank into perspective.
X2
I guess it's not just hunting. Its every hobby. People think you need all the luxuries to start, and unfortunately it's a barrier for people to get in to things. Its the world we live in. I buck the trend when ever possible.
I wont wear anything with a brand logo unless they pay me!
Old 07-14-2020, 08:32 AM

If people got all their hunting info from Wild tv it would be easy to think that hunting is too expensive to get into. It doesn’t have to be
Old 07-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Banned

Ppl get caught up in the hype I own Sitka kuiu and first lite it is amazing gear but not Absolutely needed either same could be said for a rifle costing thousands to one that’s under a grand no animal will tell the difference when shot.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticelk View Post
Ppl get caught up in the hype I own Sitka kuiu and first lite it is amazing gear but not Absolutely needed either same could be said for a rifle costing thousands to one that’s under a grand no animal will tell the difference when shot.
I like unusual rifles and shotguns, but have no illusions that they kill any better than anything else !
If I did I would not have had my favorite rifle chambered in .303 British!
Last year I used my father's sporterised 1917 Enfield and would have no issues doing it again .
I think a lot of people bug fancy gear the same as some like customizing trucks and cars - they like them , they are cool to look at and fun to drive .
Does 't mean a stocker won't get you from A to B in comfort
The key is if you want it and can afford it go for it , if you can't afford it or don't want it , that's okay too!
Cat
Old 07-14-2020, 09:10 AM

Only good thing about Camo is I will not wear it if I am not hunting,so I do not damage it in the garage or wear it out by washing it all ways, as I want it to last .
You can tell the people who don't hunt as they wear it every where like you see at Cabela's on off season.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Only good thing about Camo is I will not wear it if I am not hunting,so I do not damage it in the garage or wear it out by washing it all ways, as I want it to last .
You can tell the people who don't hunt as they wear it every where like you see at Cabela's on off season.
crocks,camo = Walmart.....

I just know if I was humping up mountains weight would be a concern so as said before set your gear to your hunt...Jack O'Connor did very well not too fancy......

Old 07-14-2020, 10:04 AM

I am from old school and my hunting coat is 20 years old. However I believe their is a big difference between a rifle hunter shooting at 100-500 yards and bow hunter needing to get with 20-40 yards on game. Bow hunters will require much quieter and more camo outerware, probably warmer as well for sitting in a blind.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I am from old school and my hunting coat is 20 years old. However I believe their is a big difference between a rifle hunter shooting at 100-500 yards and bow hunter needing to get with 20-40 yards on game. Bow hunters will require much quieter and more camo outerware, probably warmer as well for sitting in a blind.
Exactly... camo for a rifle hunter isn’t a “requirement”. Arguably a Bowhunter who only sits in a treestand it’s not “required” either... but a spot and stalk Bowhunter needs as many things to his/her advantage to break up the outline.

LC
Old 07-14-2020, 10:18 AM

Just tell your new Hunter friend to watch how to hunt with Ryan Koehler you'll know everything after that

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2020, 12:33 PM

There is a place for the light weight fast drying low bulk clothing that you guys call designer camo Long haul back pack guys need that stuff just to be able to fit a coat in your pack for a week and have room for your food shelter and water. If your just the average joe weekend warrior that goes home every night then you can get away with anything.

Now HECS sent blockers and ozonics and similar gizmos are just modern snake oil sales. Some guys will buy anything and not really think about how much money there throwing away for no reason.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yea, nobody here said you needed a $10,000 rifle setup to hunt.

I asked what the difference was between high $$ rifle/scope combinations and high $$ camo when it comes to hunting necessity chucky. Try to follow along, or, if you have an alternative opinion, feel free to share it.

Lets here from the expert. $1,000.00 jacket pant combo vs $ 8 - 10,000.00 rifle and scope combo. Which do you see as more integral for a new hunter wanting to harvest a deer, elk, or moose chuck?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:08 PM

I think most of us are on the same page. This thread was started simply to remind people that we want to encourage new hunters.
And yes ANY type of hunting can be done with modest investment in equipment.

Wool is a magic material
Iron sights actually work
A quality compound bow from 15 years kills the same now as it did then.

In no way am I criticizing anyone for spending money on things that make the experience more enjoyable. I do the same. Let's just not pretend that we need those things.
And more importantly let's not tell new hunters that they need them.

Last edited by bsmitty27; 07-14-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I asked what the difference was between high $$ rifle/scope combinations and high $$ camo when it comes to hunting necessity chucky. Try to follow along, or, if you have an alternative opinion, feel free to share it.

Lets here from the expert. $1,000.00 jacket pant combo vs $ 8 - 10,000.00 rifle and scope combo. Which do you see as more integral for a new hunter wanting to harvest a deer, elk, or moose chuck?
I believe this thread is about not needing a $1000 jacket/pant combo. It had nothing to do with a $10,000 rifle. That is until you came along and insinuated that those mocking someone with high end gear advocate $10,000 rifles. I think you even found it amusing. You brought it up. Not me. So maybe you can explain how the discussion between the two is remotely related.

But right now the difference is obviously $9000. Now if you want to discuss which is a better investment we can do that. Or amortized cost maybe? Value perhaps?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2020, 01:48 PM

I used to live and work in area's that had a lot of game and hunters. I used to wear orange or red everyday not hunting but just because I didn't want to get shot. I dont believe deer can see color.
We had pet deer. You could walk right up to them. Had to keep barn door shut to keep them out. They would jump on back of your truck or trailer if there was any alfalfa left on it. Come right up on our deck to eat wife's roses. Feed cattle and elk and deer would get to know the sound of your feed truck and come running.
Yet them same animals would act wild when hunters would start sneeking around.
Actually instead of wearing camo ,staying down wind and sneaking around you should try to act like your not hunting and dont care and it might work better??
Old 07-14-2020, 02:40 PM

the only thing I can say to a new hunter is be realistic, don't get all caught up in the very competitive hunting market, someone will sell you a must have elk turd to get the bulls bugling.....if your first go at it is with a ol 30-30 and a wool jacket sitting on a fence line then so be it....just enjoy it...your way...your hunt...your adventure.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I have heard a few ladies and gents recently who have been looking at getting in to hunting but have been discouraged by their friends, telling them you need a new 300wm, ozonators, designer camo, cellphone/trail cam...
Basically marketing.
I dont care what people use, and I have no problem with any of it.
Let's just show new hunters that hunting was very simple for the last few thousand years. There are lots of old boys with old huskys in 6.5x55 (or stick bows)a wool jacket and a good pair of boots, just playing the wind, killing animals every year. probably learned a lot faster and enjoyed the experience more than the social media hunters.
Keep it simple!
You know, if they get turned off by the talk, thier probably not ready. If they are, they’ll continue the search, eventually finding thier place. Isn’t that what hunting is about? I team up with group every year where money is no object. All the toys. But when it comes to setting up a good shoot, they look my way. The guy with the ragged camo
Old 07-15-2020, 01:00 AM

There seems to be a sentiment that the people spending large dollars on hunting specific camo and gear that's very ex[pensive but very well made and how it doesn't make them a great hunter, its not necessary, etc.. While this may be true, I think there are other ways to look at it.

Maybe to a lot of these guys, spending a few grand on gear is no big deal. They have enough money that this doesn't effect them. They want the best gear so they buy it. Hunting is one of their favorite hobbies so they enjoy spending money on it. What's wrong with that? They probably love hunting and watch hunting TV shows or net videos and want to buy what their favorite guys use. What's wrong with that? I think it ends up helping support the industry as a whole. If the goal is for hunter retention and recruitment, does this help the cause?

Of COURSE you don't need Kuju to truck hunt for deer. But it looks cool.

However if you are on a budget, there is great advice on cost effective ways to gear up.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
My son’s camo. He’s colour blind so doesn’t know the difference. And so is the bear.

Yeah, but tell us the price of his pack and boots? I'm sure a pack and boots for half the cost would have gotten that bear out too.

I do a lot of browsing on sites like "the last hunt" and "altitude sports" as they seem to be similar to MEC but the prices are great. I bought Fjallraven, Mountain Hardware, Outdoor Research for hunting clothes off there for real good prices when they had sales. I will admit though I did buy some First Lite clothes once!! And two pieces of Sitka because they were half off. I do like my ASAT puffy jacket and pattered fleece hoodie but I wouldn't pay full price when my OR puffy jacket was $109!
Old 07-15-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
Yeah, but tell us the price of his pack and boots? I'm sure a pack and boots for half the cost would have gotten that bear out too.

I do a lot of browsing on sites like "the last hunt" and "altitude sports" as they seem to be similar to MEC but the prices are great. I bought Fjallraven, Mountain Hardware, Outdoor Research for hunting clothes off there for real good prices when they had sales. I will admit though I did buy some First Lite clothes once!! And two pieces of Sitka because they were half off. I do like my ASAT puffy jacket and pattered fleece hoodie but I wouldn't pay full price when my OR puffy jacket was $109!
Why is everyone so worried about what Chucks son is wearing? Good for them if they can afford it. Chances are, most that are calling him out on it would buy it too if they had the cash. His point was you don't need camo to hunt, not that you need all top end gear.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post

He actually paid for both. And his boots were bought from “the last hunt”. For less than half price. And, like I said earlier, not all hunts are the same.

Many know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have Sitka gear both for early and late season, I like it for bow hunting because it’s warm, quiet, and comfortable and comes in a decent pattern. The early stuff is light, quiet and breathable and comes in a decent pattern too. I wait for sales or discounts and grab what I need, I have never paid “full price” for it.... I dont really care what other people wear or don’t wear, I don’t wear it because it’s brand name, I wear it because it works for me. I wear it hunting... I don’t wear it to go shopping

LC
I agree with this. I don't wear Sitka but I do wear another ''higher'' end brand. I like the way it fits, how quiet it is and breathable. I do not care what other people wear, and think no different if they are in expensive gear or not. People taking jabs at guys wearing Kuiu or Sitka should start to think the same way.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 AM

The divide here that has to be addressed is expensive stuff that is necessary compared to gimmicks that are sold to new hunters. If you put a lot of miles on your feet especially in rough terrain, the value of good hunting boots like Hanwags vs Marks steel toes will be illustrated for you. You can buy good products and get many years of good use out of them.

Gimmicky stuff....this is another story. In my years of hunting in Alberta I do not know of a time where I needed to range and dial on a big game animal to harvest it. As others have said the Huskemaw scopes and others that have calibrated turrets are kinda neat to play around with, but your money would be better spent other places...like burning powder.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM

A friend of mine and I were talking about the old days. We used to get up and grab something out of the fridge and put it in a pocket and go out hunting. Wearing whatever UFA or Peavey Mart sold. Wholesale as well. Smoked, wore work gloves, Baffin green boots, Stanfield long underwear. We killed stuff. Nowadays, we’re more comfortable, heated seats in the truck, merino wool, quit smoking, base layers, unscented soaps, havalong knives, good binos, game cameras everywhere, workout regimens (not me, the friend though). Don’t ever hardly shoot anything. I think it’s the life cycle of the hunter though. To each his own. Get out and have fun, get back to basics.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Not too worried about scents and colors... don't know how many deer moose and bears have walked by a running diesel pickup truck or tractor. If hunting farm country the animals are used to hearing noise and seeing people. Backcountry is different but with the amount of campers, quadders, timber and oil field workers around everyday. Its hard to imagine that any animal hasn't seen a person yet.

Some animals will be spooked no matter how often they see people, then others don't care. If you are serious about getting the biggest wall hanger, luck is more of a consideration. Yes skills and camo does matter but not as much as one would play into the game.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:33 PM

I have some Sitka kuiu and first light clothing. There all much nicer to my style and needs than the 15$ cotton bass pro house brand summer pants I started with. BUT early season and just playing around with nothing serious I still wear those bass pro devils cotton pants. It’s all about application guys you can hunt the back country with bass pro brand 15$ pants Just like you can hunt the home 40 in head to toe Sitka do you need either nope you could get it done in prison issues orange coveralls to. I’ve even bagged game wearing the Forbidden brand that starts with an m and rhymes with heck and still use a lot of there support gear like pots pans filters sleeping bags.

It’s hunting buy what you want wear what you want get out there and have a good time the fashion police need to stay in the city we don’t need them. I can’t understand why there’s Elitism with one brand or another or with some guys on the forum. For some people an antler less doe or a fork horn barley legal buck is a trophy to them and I’m fine with them being happy about it.