Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Importing a scope into Canada - walkthrough

I posted this on CGN, but I'll put it here as well, hopefully it has value:

I just got a scope in the mail from the US, I'm gonna give a detailed walk through on the form(s) and process, though its very simple:

Find a retailer in the US that will send in the export paperwork, I used Euro optic LTD as they were easy to deal with, quick and did not charge a fee to send in for export permit.

Step 1.
Find retailer (who will do the export), you will need
  • PO number, you need to purchase before starting the import paperwork
  • owner name (not salesman)
  • address
  • phone number
Request and recieve the info and quote first before starting on to next steps

step two:

go here:
https://www.excol-ceed.gc.ca/Main-Pr...e_Accueil.aspx

and click here (circled):

step three:

if you have the phone number filled out in a different format it will not work (without the dashes) The number chose was from a song "Jenny Jenny, tell me your number!"

hit submit and it will move you to the next tab.

step four:

click this button to autofill the second tab

Step 5:

Fill out and submit the third tab, owner name acquired from step 1

Step 6:

click the by applicant, it will autofill

Step 7:

fill in the PO number and selection tabs (PO number from sales receipt in step 1)

hit submit (the same screen/tab will stay here, but with a text link about entering item for next step)

Step 8:

Step 9:

click here (circled)

Step 10:

add items, use description per sales receipt

Step 11:

and send it! (Hit accept at bottom)

The document will be sent to the government, it took about a week to recieve an email which is then forwarded to the vendor, who can now apply for an export permit:

it will look like this (as a PDF received in an email):

Step 12:

email the import doc to retailer

Essentially you are done at this point, I recieved a text about 3 weeks later from their shipper (DHL) to allow drop off with out signature, and then a couple days later a text to pay customs fees, meaning the retailer had received export permit.

You may be able to refuse pickup, and pay the customs fees at the nearest customs office to save some of the money. On a $300 USD scope the bill was about $36CAD for me so I just paid it rather than try and save a couple bucks. Google "UPS customs fees" to find out how to save overcharges by UPS or other shippers.

Timelines per my experience:
Pay for item, get info 1 day
Submit and then receive paperwork for import 1 week
Export paperwork before item can ship 3 weeks
ship/delivery 5 days

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Some manufacturers have strict agreements and policies about retailers shipping to Canada, you may get a retailer in trouble if you were to announce to say, sales reps at a gunshow in the US or Canada. As per my experience and someone repeating what I'm posting I'm not sure if Euro Optic will sell the specific brand scope out of the US. I would suggest discretion in repeating two pieces of info together (what, and where from) if you find a great deal and would like to share, check if the retailer has any hesitation to announcing online, if you don't know id suggest posting price but not the retailer, if someone else wants to know where they can PM you.

On my specific item I'm about $521 all in in a item that runs about $767 after taxes, so 2/3 local price with a month wait. If you have the funds though do the community a favour and support site vendors if you can. If you find a smoking deal on a discontinued or demo item, make that call yourself.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 PM

Awesome info!!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 10-08-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Awesome info!!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Its nice to hear a "thanks" once in a while, that took me some time to write that up. On the other forum I just got comments about anything I may have forgotten:

Check if warranty will work the same in Canada
Old 10-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the awesome instructions!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Thanks for the awesome instructions!
Your welcome, check out some of the deals from Europtic dot com, keefer was great help over there.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Did this a few years ago; decided to buy from Europe instead to avoid the paperwork. The U.S has strict export conditions. Also scopes don’t have tariffs on them at least not during the time I purchased. I initially had to pay on delivery but thence further follow up I had the amount refunded.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Its nice to hear a "thanks" once in a while, that took me some time to write that up. On the other forum I just got comments about anything I may have forgotten:

Check if warranty will work the same in Canada
Do you know how, if at all, this would apply to importing bullets for reloading? There is a ton of 20 cal bullets down there that I would like to try but no one imports up here.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Do you know how, if at all, this would apply to importing bullets for reloading? There is a ton of 20 cal bullets down there that I would like to try but no one imports up here.
Basically the whole reason this thread exists, is that I found a really good price on a scope I wanted, and I called the retailer to ask if there was anyway they could get it to Canada. They said they could export it.

To answer your question more directly, I think you might have to call retailers in the US and ask if they can export. Also ask what shippers they use, if it's UPS google "UPS customs do have to pay".
Old 10-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Basically the whole reason this thread exists, is that I found a really good price on a scope I wanted, and I called the retailer to ask if there was anyway they could get it to Canada. They said they could export it.

To answer your question more directly, I think you might have to call retailers in the US and ask if they can export. Also ask what shippers they use, if it's UPS google "UPS customs do have to pay".
Yeah I've heard about UPS and customs charges....
Old 10-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
You can request a quote from people like Prophet River ot Irunguns, they have acquired bullets of various offbreeds over the years, Reloading International will ship here also. It won't be cheap though. You''l need to order a lot of bullets to make it worth your while.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
You can request a quote from people like Prophet River ot Irunguns, they have acquired bullets of various offbreeds over the years, Reloading International will ship here also. It won't be cheap though. You''l need to order a lot of bullets to make it worth your while.
Ah. Not good. Don't want to order lots if I don't know they work for me. oh well... thx
Old 10-08-2019, 12:59 PM

BUYER BEWARE! FOLLOWING THIS ADVICE COULD LAND YOU IN BIG TROUBLE!!! While what you did from a Canadian perspective is fine, from the American side of things what you did is illegal and could land the person/dealer you bought from in big trouble. American dealers must ship from an FFL to an FFL (e.g. Prophet River) and you must have an Export permit from the United States which the FFL will provide. That goes for scopes, rings, bases, rails, bipods, etc. Basically anything that is a firearm or firearm accessory.

Same goes if you travel to the states. You can buy a scope down there yourself and drive it across the border. Declare it like you would anything else and you're good to go. Problem is if you get stopped by American border patrol on the way to the border and they determine that you're exporting a scope and you're in big big trouble.

See this thread from Hunting BC for an example of what can go wrong.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwrestler View Post
BUYER BEWARE! FOLLOWING THIS ADVICE COULD LAND YOU IN BIG TROUBLE!!! While what you did from a Canadian perspective is fine, from the American side of things what you did is illegal and could land the person/dealer you bought from in big trouble. American dealers must ship from an FFL to an FFL (e.g. Prophet River) and you must have an Export permit from the United States which the FFL will provide. That goes for scopes, rings, bases, rails, bipods, etc. Basically anything that is a firearm or firearm accessory.

Same goes if you travel to the states. You can buy a scope down there yourself and drive it across the border. Declare it like you would anything else and you're good to go. Problem is if you get stopped by American border patrol on the way to the border and they determine that you're exporting a scope and you're in big big trouble.

See this thread from Hunting BC for an example of what can go wrong.

Did you read any of the first post? This is about purchasing online from a US retailer who can do export paperwork. I said nothing about driving across the border, and I also disclaimed to check that they can do export paperwork....

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Cody

Great job, thanks for all the work that went into it. A guy saves a bunch on one scope, getting 2 or 3 at one time would really save a bunch and make the paper work a little less of an issue. One other thing, if you buy through IRguns they do all the paper work and there are no import fees or duties just shipping costs. They carry Leupold, Weaver, Redfield and at least 40 other brands of scopes, don't think they carry Vortex though so it wouldn't have helped you. This also works buying any guns they have listed on their US site.

https://www.irunguns.com/
Old 10-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cody

Great job, thanks for all the work that went into it. A guy saves a bunch on one scope, getting 2 or 3 at one time would really save a bunch and make the paper work a little less of an issue. One other thing, if you buy through IRguns they do all the paper work and there are no import fees or duties just shipping costs. They carry Leupold, Weaver, Redfield and at least 40 other brands of scopes, don't think they carry Vortex though so it wouldn't have helped you. This also works buying any guns they have listed on their US site.

https://www.irunguns.com/
You are correct, but on scopes they dont carry the costs are higher, for the scope in question (stock clear out $299) it was about $225 in charges through IRG making them not the best option in that situation.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Did you read any of the first post? This is about purchasing online from a US retailer who can do export paperwork. I said nothing about driving across the border, and I also disclaimed to check that they can do export paperwork....
I did read it and if they're shipping it directly to you, then they are in violation of American law. Firearms and firearms parts cannot be shipped directly to an individual in Canada, they must be shipped to an FFL. If they're not getting that right, then they are completing the proper paperwork.

There's a reason that virtually every major retailer will not accept orders from Canadian credit cards when purchasing firearms parts: they know it involves a ton of paperwork that they won't do.

I had a look at irunguns, and they follow the proper procedures because they ship directly to their warehouse in Canada first i.e. a Canadian FFL, then to the end consumer.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM

You do know there was some changes to that in the US recently?

What was with the warning about driving scopes across the border if you read it? It had nothing to do with my post.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...l1-part126.xml

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsyupg]

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=fddc761d98c2a6313f5ce5d778da407b&mc=true&n ode=pt22.1.121&rgn=div5

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQJ]

Rifle scopes with the following items are on the list

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsySQy]

These would be classified items as above, the exclusion is for unclassified as I understand. Essentially night vision and ballistic/ranging functions make them classified (as I read it). Feel free to back up any of your statements above with clips from the law.

Last edited by cody c; 10-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.