Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I believe this thread is about not needing a $1000 jacket/pant combo. It had nothing to do with a $10,000 rifle. That is until you came along and insinuated that those mocking someone with high end gear advocate $10,000 rifles. I think you even found it amusing. You brought it up. Not me. So maybe you can explain how the discussion between the two is remotely related.

But right now the difference is obviously $9000. Now if you want to discuss which is a better investment we can do that. Or amortized cost maybe? Value perhaps?

My point is it's hypocritical to deem expensive camo a waste of money for hunting while espousing support for an expensive rifle for hunting. But then you came along with your usual rhetorical question shtick.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I can get within 20 yards at times wearing this stuff.
Cat

That’s because they can’t see anything past the stellar moustache hahaha
Old 07-15-2020, 09:08 PM

Well you can pretty well condemn marketing for any high dollar item in any hobby/pastime in life.
Fact is i used to buy cheap stuff to "get out there". I can't afford to do that anymore so i research quality gear and never look back.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Well you can pretty well condemn marketing for any high dollar item in any hobby/pastime in life.
Fact is i used to buy cheap stuff to "get out there". I can't afford to do that anymore so i research quality gear and never look back.
Marketing is the devil in the details but knowing where to put your money to boost your abilities to help you grow as an outdoorsmen is key. You may be now at a level I’ll never ever attain or I may One day peak at a level far above your skills. One things for sure as we all learn more our tactics techniques and skills improve needing more specialized equipment to ease the burden.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:32 PM

The worst thing I see is all the hype and marketing that goes into long range hunting . Everybody out there trying to snipe a deer or elk instead of hunt it , don't even want to think how many critters are left wounded .
Old 07-16-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
In all of this, let’s not pretend that all hunters are hunting under the same conditions either.
I think this is the big one.

A lot of hunters are less than a hour drive from home and always less than a 20 minute walk from the truck. That's awesome, but for many it's not a reality. When I started hunting 20 years ago in Sask, we were rarely out of the truck for more than a hour. Big deer were taken.

Now I am at least a 90 minute drive from my house, plus a hour hike in, and I won't see my truck all day. I need to be prepared for all conditions and definitely need to be prepared to hike a good hike and then sit or still hunt, where my activity level is much much lower and it's easy to cool off quickly. For that, good gear helps. Last year the WT I shot was at around 1500 meters..... elevation, the distance was under 40 yards.

I have been on sheep and moose hunts in the Yukon where you don't have any source of heat other than the sun and fire for 10 days. We don't have horses and everything is on your back. Good reliable gear is awesome in those situations. You don't need it, I have done without it before, but pushing your limits is easier when you're warm and dry.

All that being said, I have an awesome FL jacket for sale in the classifieds
Old 07-16-2020, 12:44 PM

My hunting clothes are chosen according to the conditions and personal comfort. For average bush hunting whatever keeps me warm and doesn’t make noise. Some camo but not always unless I am bow hunting. If it is a backcountry hunt in tough terrain I do put out the extra money for breathable water resistant clothes. This is for personal comfort and the fact I have limited clothing for the days I am out

I may not go out and buy the most expensive gear but I see the advantage of spending a little more in certain conditions. I also know for majority of my hunts it’s not needed

I do get a kick out of the guys road hunting decked out in top end matching camo that only ever road hunt but it’s not my money
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
The worst thing I see is all the hype and marketing that goes into long range hunting . Everybody out there trying to snipe a deer or elk instead of hunt it , don't even want to think how many critters are left wounded .
No, “everybody out there” are not doing that.

-Billy Molls