Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2020, 07:48 AM

Default Sylvan Lake -Sunbreaker Cove boat launch

Last night when the big wind came through a couple of boats capsized. The fire dept came out and fortunately no one was injured. I was told by a guy waiting to get his boat out the boat launch was closed for 2 hours.

This really demonstrates the need for an other boat launch on the lake. preferable on the opposite side due to the predominate winds coming from the west. I have seen many times when the thunder storms come though the chaos of 30 - 40 boats all trying to get off the lake at the same time. The waves are big and make it difficult which slows down the loading.

The lake is more busy than ever and the need for more boat launches is increasing. I have emailed the county of Lacombe expressing the concern. Maybe if a few more people contact lacombe and Red Deer counties we could get some action before some serious occurs.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Interesting report. Sounds like the walleye should be fished out in no time.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbreaker James View Post
Last night when the big wind came through a couple of boats capsized. The fire dept came out and fortunately no one was injured. I was told by a guy waiting to get his boat out the boat launch was closed for 2 hours.

This really demonstrates the need for an other boat launch on the lake. preferable on the opposite side due to the predominate winds coming from the west. I have seen many times when the thunder storms come though the chaos of 30 - 40 boats all trying to get off the lake at the same time. The waves are big and make it difficult which slows down the loading.

The lake is more busy than ever and the need for more boat launches is increasing. I have emailed the county of Lacombe expressing the concern. Maybe if a few more people contact lacombe and Red Deer counties we could get some action before some serious occurs.
Couldn't agree more! Gull lake is getting the same way with super busy boat launches, especially since a couple have closed due to low water levels. That being said, we really need to pay attention to weather forecasts and radars and plan our trips accordingly. I've learned my lesson once, long weekend and a sudden high wind came up. I had to beach the boat and trim my outboard into the sand and just wait until I could get loaded. I've seen numerous times people heading out on the lake as the west is getting dark and the radar indicating a storm system closing in, completely clueless. I've had to cancel many boating and fishing trips we've planned due to unstable weather and forecasts, it's disappointing but it's not worth putting yourself and family at risk. Safe boating everyone!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:52 PM

Yup had it happen last year kept an eye on the sky out at CVR got off just in time as well as 3 other boats. Had to get in the water to help others load up. 20 min after getting out the waves were so bad they were splashing off the dam and almost hitting the road. Know your weather
Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 PM

Couple of thing; I believe that as others have said the walleye will be virtually fished out of Sylvan by the end of summer, we have Pine Coulee as an example.

Crawling Valley boat launch is a little different as it is a "marina" and virtually enclosed if you get there before the BIG wind hits it is no real issue to load out just patients (spelling) and we all will get off the Lake. The trick is to watch, listen to weather and the radar app. and remember it take Crawling about 10 minutes to really ugly.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:48 PM

I work shift so generally try and get out during the week and still cant believe the amount of traffic. Cant imagine the weekends, must be crazy.

We were launching from rr23 but last trip it was closed so went through halfmoon. Hope rr23 opens up again as another option.

Walleye fishing has been good but the whitefish on a fly are just a complete pile of fun. We've been parking on the drop off in front of 23, gold ribbed hares ear under an indicator with about 8' of leader. Much joy.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:42 PM

We got off the lake about 4:00. The wind was getting worse & worse & the fishing wasn't great. Stopped for supper in Sylvan, made it so we missed the mess on QE11 also. Lucky day, we'll take it.

Were the sunk boats in use or tied up at shore by homeowners ?
Old 06-15-2020, 08:27 AM

We were in the thick of it, quite the line up to get off of the water. Really interesting to watch how the boats reacted to those waves. Those walleye need to get culled. Their heads were larger proportionately to the bodies.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM

What a gong show sunbreaker was yesterday.

Got there about 1145 and the line up to launch wasn’t too bad, about 3 boats in front.

Bunch of retards launching though. One guy pushed his boat off by hand and then tied it up on the dock on the inside of the launch and drove away! He literally tied up one launch for 10 minutes while his wife and kids just stood there useless. Unacceptable.

Coming off the lake wasn’t any better. Got to the launch around 415 and there had to of been 30 boats waiting to get off the lake. I got off the boat and went to get the trailer and there was a line up of trucks and trailers up to the overflow.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 AM

I have zero interest in trying that. I'll either go on a weekday or off season timing when things are better.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:04 AM

Sylvan has the perfect place for a boat launch. The old water slide location. Why do they need all those washrooms and buildings there, plus large green space. A Large praking area that already exists. Just charge $8 - $10 for parking. It does not take anything to install some cement launch pilars in there. There is room on the west side of those buildings now. Move the large rocks. The town really needs to pull their heads out of their butts. It will bring in revenue and monies for later improvements.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:30 AM

Who is to maintain the RR23 road that is currently closed? Why isn't this area being worked on, is the county responsible. This weekend watching people taking 1/2hr to launch their boat was very frustrating to say the least at RR21. I have never seen that many boats launch from there. Sorry to rant but something needs to be done to fix RR23 to take some pressure off the other launch sites.

cheers
Goose
Old 07-13-2020, 01:02 PM

Saturday - July 11th .... Not my pic's... what a zoo!

D.

Facebook .... over 40 trucks lining up to get their boats and another 45+ in the parking lot.

Main beach ....

Old 07-13-2020, 01:12 PM

This is the very reason I don't fish from a boat, and much prefer Sylvan when its covered in a layer of ice 20 inches thick!

BW
Old 07-14-2020, 10:26 AM

I was out there Saturday, as I decided I'd better go help my neighbor, who was bound and determined to get his boat in the water. Getting in at Sunbreaker was ok as we arrived fairly early. Witnessed the kaos at both the launch and the beach in town. Sadly I believe someone is going to be seriously hurt or worse if people don't smarten up. Watched the town rescue crew bring in half a dozen clueless groups in dingies that were submerged by careless boaters going too fast once out of the slow zone. Boats and dingies in a small area don't go well together. A day I won't soon forget. Getting the boat back out was pure craziness. Waited almost 2 hours in line for our turn. Won't do that again on a weekend.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Saturday - July 11th .... Not my pic's... what a zoo!

D.

Facebook .... over 40 trucks lining up to get their boats and another 45+ in the parking lot.

Main beach ....

people are simply crazy...pics don't lie!!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Tags
sylvan lake boat launch