Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 03:43 PM

Default International Tannery Winnipeg review

I am looking a making a purchase of a hide done there and I am very sensitive to chemical odors. Are they stinky?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-22-2024, 04:37 PM

I’ve had at least 20 furs done at international and have never smelled a thing on any of them.
Old 02-23-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
I’ve had at least 20 furs done at international and have never smelled a thing on any of them.
Thank you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-24-2024, 03:11 PM
AO Sponsor

Smells like pure strong leather

I would venture to say that their leather is EU approved. Bad chemicals could/will cause dkin irritation at least.

Heard a story a few years ago about a prestigious Italian buyer getting slapped with a $1M fine for bringing skins into Europe that were dressed with illegal to EU chemicals. But never know… could be BS or most likely a half truth.

Met one lady that wanted skins…. but desired brain tanned only cuz in her mind no chemicals…. No idea myself, dont brain tan! More peopleshould brain tan moose and elk and deer, big money in moose leather BT. Big demand, big shortage
Old 02-24-2024, 10:05 PM

I believe this is where the ATA sends fur for tanning correct? I’ve sent several out over the years. Always had excellent results.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Smells like pure strong leather

I would venture to say that their leather is EU approved. Bad chemicals could/will cause dkin irritation at least.

Heard a story a few years ago about a prestigious Italian buyer getting slapped with a $1M fine for bringing skins into Europe that were dressed with illegal to EU chemicals. But never know… could be BS or most likely a half truth.

Met one lady that wanted skins…. but desired brain tanned only cuz in her mind no chemicals…. No idea myself, dont brain tan! More peopleshould brain tan moose and elk and deer, big money in moose leather BT. Big demand, big shortage
Brained tanned is ideal for traditional beading. I’ve done a few and it’s a lot of work. In my experience scraping the skin to uniform thickness is key before tanning. Moose especially.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Brained tanned is ideal for traditional beading. I’ve done a few and it’s a lot of work. In my experience scraping the skin to uniform thickness is key before tanning. Moose especially.
I will echo what has been said, for brain tanning there is no short cuts around thinning the hide, effort put in will be resulting product. Fleshing is not thinning the hide, that is where most fall short. Frost scrape methods give great results.
Especially important is removal of ALL grease and fat so the braining can do its job, any grease, fat or oil and it is all for not.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
I will echo what has been said, for brain tanning there is no short cuts around thinning the hide, effort put in will be resulting product. Fleshing is not thinning the hide, that is where most fall short. Frost scrape methods give great results.
Especially important is removal of ALL grease and fat so the braining can do its job, any grease, fat or oil and it is all for not.
Frost scraping does work really well. I’m in Calgary so the conditions aren’t always favourable but when they are and I leave a hid out that freeze dries it takes the brains really well.