Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
Don't worry. It'll end itself. One way or another.
I’m sure it will end. But will our governments continue to react to it where it effects how people are able to make a living and have food on the table? Again, the reaction to it has been far worse than the virus itself. If you are in a compromised demographic, by all means stay home while the healthy people can continue to make a living and keep the economy going. Healthy people were mandated to stay home and not open their businesses and the ripple effect is absolutely immeasurable.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I’m sure it will end. But will our governments continue to react to it where it effects how people are able to make a living and have food on the table? Again, the reaction to it has been far worse than the virus itself. If you are in a compromised demographic, by all means stay home while the healthy people can continue to make a living and keep the economy going. Healthy people were mandated to stay home and not open their businesses and the ripple effect is absolutely immeasurable.
100% agree!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
And that obviously works. Look at that hairdresser that potentially infected 91 people. Yes, that's in the USA, but pertinent to what you are saying. This has been calculated to keep the hospitals from being flooded and overloaded, NOT to make you happy. People are going to be stressed. Some bankrupt. But they will not be killing other people inadvertantly. Flattening the curve worked. We are in a controlled reopening. Check out Brazil for your method. (yes, sarcasm on. I get what you are saying. I sympathize. But I also understand what they are trying to do).
Old 05-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup and you blink....that's you your looking at in the mirror....but I would have spent your portion of the pension plan and ate up all the medical funding too....nothing left for you and guess what the younger generation won't worry about your aging corps

Toss ya to the street....survival of the fittest
I’m not too far off from collecting, so I’ll try to get my share too
Old 05-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Default pandemic

Just for the record sad to say but Covid-19 virus will be with us for a Long, L o n g, L o n g time!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:51 AM
Banned

Why are Brazil and Canada being compared? There is very little to compare apart from numbers. Customs, lifestyles, medical care, infrastructure.....none of it is comparable between the 2. I don't see us running for cover when african countries have viral outbreaks, far deadlier for that matter.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just for the record sad to say but Covid-19 virus will be with us for a Long, L o n g, L o n g time!
Agreed!! it’s a new super flu with harsher repercussions. It’s not going anywhere..
Old 05-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Here’s a perspective I never thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sjNQ4YTUM4
Titled, Guilty of Breathing

Flame away

Last edited by Austin; 05-25-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Here’s a perspective I never thought of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sjNQ4YTUM4
Titled, Guilty of Breathing

Flame away
Cool video, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-25-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
And that obviously works. Look at that hairdresser that potentially infected 91 people. Yes, that's in the USA, but pertinent to what you are saying. This has been calculated to keep the hospitals from being flooded and overloaded, NOT to make you happy. People are going to be stressed. Some bankrupt. But they will not be killing other people inadvertantly. Flattening the curve worked. We are in a controlled reopening. Check out Brazil for your method. (yes, sarcasm on. I get what you are saying. I sympathize. But I also understand what they are trying to do).
“Potentially” leaves a lot of fact somewhere in the dust. Wasnt it incumbant on the 91 visitors to weigh the risks? I don’t think the hairdresser was forcing those people to come into her shop. Freedom of choice. Some may be infected, some may not.

Osky
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It will end up like Sars and Mers, Gonzo...
Old 05-25-2020, 04:00 PM

It appears that even the mayor of "The center of the Universe", isn't taking things too seriously.

"Toronto Mayor John Tory at Trinity Bellwoods Park on Saturday, standing less than six feet from others and wearing his facemask around his neck — an act Toronto top doctor Eileen de Villa specifically advised against earlier this week. Tory has since apologized."

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...owded-t-o-park
Old 05-25-2020, 04:28 PM

I am not a mathematician or a statistician, but I got to thinking about this. Feel free to point out the errors in my calculations lol, I'm actually looking forward to hearing the correct numbers from some of the stats and data analytics guys out there.

There are 6860 confirmed Covid19 cases in AB. AB's population is 4,370,000.

That means there's roughly 1 in 640 chance of encountering someone that has Covid19.

If the cases are actually double and we just haven't detected them all, then it's 1 in 320. If the cases are 10X higher, it's 1 in 64.

I think it's pretty obvious that the number isn't anywhere near the extreme 10X range, if it was, I think half the population would likely be infected in short order. My bias would be that the 1 in 640 number is actually far too high. Most cases are very localized and the source can be traced. I'd guess it's actually 2-3X lower among the general population. If the infection rate really is higher than reported, it would suggest the mortality rate, and even serious illness rate, of the virus is correspondingly lower, so really it's a wash.

So given that +/- relationship and for the sake of the math, I'll stick with 1:640, which is, 0.0016%.

Of the 6860 cases in AB, there's been 135 deaths. That's an approx. 2% death rate.

In the other thread, it was posted that the CDC has now stated the mortality rate is closer to 0.3%.

0.0016% chance of encountering the virus multiplied by a 2% mortality rate, means my chances of dying of Covid19 are 0.0032%.

Using the CDC's number, my chances of dying from Covid19 are 0.0000048%.

I remember the skittles analogy being thrown around early during this pandemic, where someone offered you 100 skittles, but 3 were deadly poisonous. That number is true, 2-3 in 100, if we assume a 100% infection rate, and I would agree that it represents the worst case scenario. But the way I'm thinking, when you add in the odds of contracting the virus, the odds of dying of Covid19 are actually somewhere between 3 in 1000, and 5 in a million.

That's a CRAZY large range, and it's getting into the realm of ridiculous compared to all of the factors that people die from each and every day around the world. In my opinion, it really re-enforces the suggestion by some here that we should be protecting the most vulnerable (the elderly and immune compromised that make up the vast majority of deaths) and allowing the rest of the population to get on with life.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I am not a mathematician or a statistician, but I got to thinking about this. Feel free to point out the errors in my calculations lol, I'm actually looking forward to hearing the correct numbers from some of the stats and data analytics guys out there.

That means there's roughly 1 in 640 chance of encountering someone that has Covid19.

If the cases are actually double and we just haven't detected them all, then it's 1 in 320. If the cases are 10X higher, it's 1 in 64.

I think it's pretty obvious that the number isn't anywhere near the extreme 10X range, if it was, I think half the population would likely be infected in short order. My bias would be that the 1 in 640 number is actually far too high. Most cases are very localized and the source can be traced. I'd guess it's actually 2-3X lower among the general population. If the infection rate really is higher than reported, it would suggest the mortality rate, and even serious illness rate, of the virus is correspondingly lower, so really it's a wash.

So given that +/- relationship and for the sake of the math, I'll stick with 1:640, which is, 0.0016%.

Of the 6860 cases in AB, there's been 135 deaths. That's an approx. 2% death rate.

In the other thread, it was posted that the CDC has now stated the mortality rate is closer to 0.3%.

0.0016% chance of encountering the virus multiplied by a 2% mortality rate, means my chances of dying of Covid19 are 0.0032%.

I remember the skittles analogy being thrown around early during this pandemic, where someone offered you 100 skittles, but 3 were deadly poisonous. That number is true, 2-3 in 100, if we assume a 100% infection rate, and I would agree that it represents the worst case scenario. But the way I'm thinking, when you add in the odds of contracting the virus, the odds of dying of Covid19 are actually somewhere between 3 in 1000, and 5 in a million.

That's a CRAZY large range, and it's getting into the realm of ridiculous compared to all of the factors that people die from each and every day around the world. In my opinion, it really re-enforces the suggestion by some here that we should be protecting the most vulnerable (the elderly and immune compromised that make up the vast majority of deaths) and allowing the rest of the population to get on with life.
Just a small point, 1 in 640 would be 0.16%, not 0.0016%. As for your reasoning, I should point out that this wouldn't be your overall probability of contracting the virus, but the probably of contracting it with every person you passed by in a way that could likely pass the virus on to you. Fortuntately social distancing has reduced the number of interactions we have where it could be passed on. The scary part is how contagious this is - my BIL's company has an office in London where four employees came down with it in a very short time. The only exposure they could link it to was the night cleaner who was found to have contracted it and was working while contagious.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:

Just to say there are only approx 800 active cases.
The other number is total cases over like 10 weeks
Old 05-25-2020, 07:26 PM

During the winter months it was cute. Canada gets what 3-4 months of decent weather? All those "isolation heroes" will be singing a different tune pretty quickly when the weather gets nice.

Look at TO. Prob everyone of those in the park has #stayathome on their facebook.

If this stay at home stuff goes on much longer I will be investing in Vitamin D manufacturing companies. Every one will have rickets.
Old 05-25-2020, 07:41 PM

A little look at the new numbers just released by the cdc
https://www.conservativereview.com/n...th-rate-media/
Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Just to say there are only approx 800 active cases.
The other number is total cases over like 10 weeks
Yep, good point. My chances of dying of Covid19 just went down another order of magnitude lol.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
A little look at the new numbers just released by the cdc
https://www.conservativereview.com/n...th-rate-media/
Mind boggling...
Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Mind boggling...
I’m not surprised by these new cdc results. My mind is boggled too

the double-down By govt might be coming soon. ie, the difficulty of later refuting it is commensurate with 1) one’s ego and 2) the voracity with which they advocated for it).

How stupid and/or corrupt would the ‘experts’ and their media allies seem if they were now to question the ‘settled science’ ( if we ever get to see settled science)?

The bigger the lie...

Last edited by Austin; 05-25-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Why are Brazil and Canada being compared? There is very little to compare apart from numbers. Customs, lifestyles, medical care, infrastructure.....none of it is comparable between the 2. I don't see us running for cover when african countries have viral outbreaks, far deadlier for that matter.
Because of the two different management styles. One style was "yeehaa. Let her buck". The other was "slow and steady. do this as well as we can".
Old 05-26-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Because of the two different management styles. One style was "yeehaa. Let her buck". The other was "slow and steady. do this as well as we can".
Since people are comparing Brazil to Canada and their different methods of dealing with the virus, here are the current results.

Deaths per 1 million population
Brazil 111
Canada 174

We probably should have "let er buck" and would have done less damage to the economy.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 05-26-2020, 06:57 AM

Old 05-26-2020, 07:24 AM

To be realistic, you probably need to compare "apples with apples"
So take the numbers from Canada and Sweden.
Canada has 174 deaths per m population
Sweden has 409 per m population (yahoo let 'er buck)

However even simplistic figures like these don't really mean anything.
Population demographics, testing levels (remember last week Donald trying to explain that if you have less testing you have less infections - he forgot to put in the word "confirmed")

Numbers coming out of Brazil, Russia, Belarus, India etc. are something you probably wouldn't want to track on the carpet.

The President of Belarus has opined that you can prevent it by drinking vodka and taking saunas. I'm willing to give it a try but I'm hoping that some president is going to say that regular vigourous sexual activity is a good antidote - I'm willing to do my part, but somebody's gotta tell my wife LOL.

All that being said when we look at the facts so far in Canada, the numbers are skewed pretty badly. In Nova Scotia 52 of 58 deaths have occurred in one nursing home that has a very high concentration of vulnerable residents. The sad truth is that the weekly average death rate for such a facility is not something that is publicly available so no rational comparison can be made. It is also too early to tell by how much Covid will have shortened the lives of those who succumbed.

As far as a global conspiracy goes, I live by the maxim "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
I think that an abundance of caution was the correct response coming out of the chute, however once it became apparent how this thing was going to play and is playing it's time to let it go.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Default Strange thread....

Strange to start a whole thread complaining about ending the Covid restrictions, the same week the government is starting to end the Covid restrictions (Phase 1/2 of reopening or something).

Hindsight is kind of 20/20. The stats in Alberta for deaths and cases are actually pretty good (except for those who have gotten sick or worse). That's kind of what we wanted right? Don't want to wish ill-health on anyone - if you don't have your health you don't have nothing (can't fish, hunt, whatever)...

It's right to be cautious about a virus we still don't know a lot about...
Old 05-26-2020, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I get what you're trying to compare, but there are a whole lot more factors to consider between the 2 countries.

We have a serious problem with privitized senior care, and so far no one is held accountable for profits they made while running these places. Grossly understaffed and only worried about putting money in investor pockets.

Wonder who will cover the cost of quadrupling the staff as mandated by health authorities, you don't hear a peep from sparkle socks in regards to that scenario.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
This has been calculated to keep the hospitals from being flooded and overloaded, NOT to make you happy. People are going to be stressed. Some bankrupt. But they will not be killing other people inadvertantly. Flattening the curve worked.
Few questions for the guys on this side.

How much of our money are you willing to spend to save one life?

Do you extend this logic to other things such as driving? Should we stop driving cars to prevent people dying in crashes?

Do you have any evidence that supports that it was the lockdown that kept our covid numbers low here in Alberta?

How many grocery store workers were sickened or died from going to work?

Why didn’t the numbers spike after Georgia opened a month ago?

In Canada we are spending right around 50 million per Covid death. Worth it?
Old 05-26-2020, 10:45 AM

Canadian Gubberment is signing numerous contracts with PPE suppliers for delivery upto May 2021.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Few questions for the guys on this side.

How much of our money are you willing to spend to save one life?

Do you extend this logic to other things such as driving? Should we stop driving cars to prevent people dying in crashes?

Do you have any evidence that supports that it was the lockdown that kept our covid numbers low here in Alberta?

How many grocery store workers were sickened or died from going to work?

Why didn’t the numbers spike after Georgia opened a month ago?

In Canada we are spending right around 50 million per Covid death. Worth it?
Nope.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Default I dont think Brazil is as far along but the worst is yet to come

US has similar population and a lagging response just like Brazil. Usa first case was January 20 2020, Canada first case was January 29 2020 while Brazil did not find their first cases (2) until February 29th and both were from travelers who had returned from Italy.
I think Brazil being in denial like the USA for as long as they were will have similar numbers next month considering an almost 6 week difference in first infection.