Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 PM

Angry Boyle Co-op selling USA beef. Why?

Can anyone tell me why we are using Saudi fuel to bring USA meat here to sell it is 10x what the farmers are being paid for their beef?

This makes sense how?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Can anyone tell me why we are using Saudi fuel to bring USA meat here to sell it is 10x what the farmers are being paid for their beef?

This makes sense how?
I would probably shop elsewhere. Lots of good Alberta beef in the stores lately. No excuse for that
Old 05-25-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:

This makes sense how?
So are you saying Canadian beef should not be exported to the USA or any other country? That policy would pretty well kill off Canada’s beef farmers.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 PM

Pretty soon other countries are gonna stop buying our beef because we didn't want to use the services they offer haha.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 PM

I purchased U.S. beef at the coop In Lloyd a couple of weeks ago. Alberta processing plant being shut down probably was the issue.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Trade works both ways.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 PM

All I’m saying is why not buy Alberta beef. It’s available. Sure the US has good beef too. All my trips to Texas I have had a few great steaks and I mean delicious. Hey even saw a steak drive thru in Abilene. I’m just preferring to support our guys
Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 PM

Or on Vancouver island most beef if from NewZealand, my friends when they came out would bring me the AB beef care package
WDF
Old 05-25-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
So are you saying Canadian beef should not be exported to the USA or any other country? That policy would pretty well kill off Canada’s beef farmers.
So you are saying Canadian stores should not be selling Canadian beef? That policy will ensure only the most well off can eat beef.

Yours is the very reason the East is buying Saudi oil, why buy local, its tastier from another continent?

Millions of gallons of Canadian Milk was just poured out into sloughs and fields. How many million cattle do you think will be killed because it is not worth raising them to sell at <$2/lb?

Remember a few years ago when people were shooting horses because there was no feed for them? People were doing everything they could to just give them away, ended up a mass slaughter. Cows may be the same soon. What's that goint to do to Canada's beef farmers?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-25-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
So you are saying Canadian stores should not be selling Canadian beef? That policy will ensure only the most well off can eat beef.

Yours is the very reason the East is buying Saudi oil, why buy local, its tastier from another continent?

Millions of gallons of Canadian Milk was just poured out into sloughs and fields. How many million cattle do you think will be killed because it is not worth raising them to sell at <$2/lb?

Remember a few years ago when people were shooting horses because there was no feed for them? People were doing everything they could to just give them away, ended up a mass slaughter. Cows may be the same soon. What's that goint to do to Canada's beef farmers?
I would just go to the next store that does sell Canadian beef if that's what I wanted to buy.
WDF
Old 05-25-2020, 08:52 PM

Yah I think its because of the sickness at the meat plants in southern alberta. I just got half a beef from my buddy, alberta beef finished with grain, yum.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:53 PM

I’d agree with Benamen that the packing plant closures likely had something to do with that. Unlike lumber or dry pasta, meat has a short shelf life so it’s not like there would be a strategic reserve of the stuff anywhere except on the hoof. It’s even possible that it might have been from Canadian cattle slaughtered at a US plant. I’m just spitballing a theory there, I won’t pretend to have any knowledge of that supply chain but it sure could be the case.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-25-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:16 PM

Default High Priced Beef

Quote:

I enjoy a good Alberta steak as much as the next guy. But how much is too much? I cant bring myself to pay $50 for 2 rib steaks at Superstore. Someone please tell me where I can purchase a good rib steak at a decent price, and then explain why it's a good price there compared to other places.

Whats up with Alberta beef prices? Pork is sooo much cheaper (and mighty fine eating BTW). I get it's cheaper to raise hogs vs cattle, but are you telling me its that much cheaper to raise and butcher a pig? Maybe so but it cant be that much difference. Supply and demand? I am not a beef or pork farmer, and know little about either. Educate me on the extremely high ans perhaps variable cost of beef prices please. And I don't mean because of Covid. Beef's been high for a lot longer than a couple of months.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:17 PM

NAFTA and profit margins

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 05-25-2020, 09:28 PM

I agree on the crazy prices. We watch prices for sure, more often than not we leave it right where it is. Once in a while when we see a good deal we stock up. I also move on to the next store. Trouble is the main cook and bottle wash has her favorite store and hates Sobey's/Safeway. I can't afford to buy meat at the meat cutter in Lloydminster, holy hell they must use diamond encrusted paper to wrap it.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:54 PM

I don't claim to know who is making the giant profits on beef. Maybe the producer, maybe the processor, I don't know. I DO know that I will not support that industry until prices come down, whatever that means. Can't tell me that ranchers are suffering. Take a spin down the Cowboy Trail and have a look. Seems to me they sell a commodity and their livelihood fluctuates with the market (supply and demand??) much like oil/gas/mining etc.

Ken - can you explain how Saudi oil brings Texas beef to Boyle and sells it for 10x what the local Alberta beef producer sells it for? If I read you right, you are saying that Alberta beef is 10x cheaper than US beef? Or maybe you're saying why are we selling US beef (brought to you by Saudi oil) for 10x more than AB beef? Show me the $5 rib steaks and Ill buy them.

Just want to make sure I got the facts, and that they are not over exaggerated.

Seems similar to when we all complain about the high price of gas, then when the price drops we down we complain about the poor economy.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
I don't claim to know who is making the giant profits on beef. Maybe the producer, maybe the processor, I don't know. I DO know that I will not support that industry until prices come down, whatever that means. Can't tell me that ranchers are suffering. Take a spin down the Cowboy Trail and have a look. Seems to me they sell a commodity and their livelihood fluctuates with the market (supply and demand??) much like oil/gas/mining etc.

Ken - can you explain how Saudi oil brings Texas beef to Boyle and sells it for 10x what the local Alberta beef producer sells it for? If I read you right, you are saying that Alberta beef is 10x cheaper than US beef? Or maybe you're saying why are we selling US beef (brought to you by Saudi oil) for 10x more than AB beef? Show me the $5 rib steaks and Ill buy them.

Seems similar to when we all complain about the high price of gas, then when the price drops we down we complain about the poor economy.
No, farmers I am talking to are telling me they are getting at a premium $2/hanging lb. That means about $1.40- $1.60 per lb actual meat. Then we are paying $20/lb for steaks.

Did you mean to say that famers aren't suffering? Some here are still combining before they can get out seeding, they are going to miss their window. I would say there is suffering.

ALSO- ever been to Hawaii and seen fresh caught BC Salmon for sale there? It is 1/3rd the price or less of what it is here, and they are saying our stocks are in jeopardy.

No Shirt Shylockl!!!

Old 05-25-2020, 10:06 PM

The North American supply chain is totally integrated. We get their products and they sell ours..back and forth and back and forth. Even a lot of Canadian labeled beef is American beef. We don’t have country of origin labeling so we generally don’t know the truth.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:16 PM

I'm no authority on pork except it always seems to be either a boom or bust market.
When pork prices are high it doesn't seem to take pork guys long to increase their herd size.
With cattle it takes longer to increase herd size. Cows only have one calf a year and it would take 3 years if it is a female calf to reproduce.
Politics and disease can influence prices. I don't really keep track of what's going on anymore because I'm happier if I don't.
The American beef in Alberta stores was initially because of the slow down at jbs and Cargill. The reason those two plants are 70% of our packing capacity is because of excessive government regulation that just destroys smaller operations. Example there is a small packing plant in Claresholm that I think has gone bankrupt twice in the last decade since they first started building it. So far that plant has not processed one single animal. I think its for sale again for 7 million.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:21 PM

Not saying farmers aren't suffering, but they're probably not doing as well as they'd like, or have been used to. Id be the same if I lost my job, or my industry hit bottom. I would not suffer, but I'd sure have to adjust my way of life.

My neighbor across the street has maybe 50-60 head of cattle. He does not look like hes making millions (maybe he is but it sure doesn't show). A drive down 22 - different story. There is money in cattle somewhere at the producer level.

Do you think that Trump's idea of America first is a viable option? Should Canada take a Canada first mindset? This is not intended to turn this political - that's not the point, just wondering what the solution to Kens question/thread is. Its a good question Ken.

I have not been to Hawaii cause i like my rib steaks instead. I can't afford to have both!!
Old 05-25-2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The North American supply chain is totally integrated. We get their products and they sell ours..back and forth and back and forth. Even a lot of Canadian labeled beef is American beef. We don’t have country of origin labeling so we generally don’t know the truth.
Usually a cow ends up all over the world.Simplistic jist is
Americans love burgers,Canadians high end cuts,Asia will take parts nobody else would take for free.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Not saying farmers aren't suffering, but they're probably not doing as well as they'd like, or have been used to. Id be the same if I lost my job, or my industry hit bottom. I would not suffer, but I'd sure have to adjust my way of life.

My neighbor across the street has maybe 50-60 head of cattle. He does not look like hes making millions (maybe he is but it sure doesn't show). A drive down 22 - different story. There is money in cattle somewhere at the producer level.

Do you think that Trump's idea of America first is a viable option? Should Canada take a Canada first mindset? This is not intended to turn this political - that's not the point, just wondering what the solution to Kens question/thread is. Its a good question Ken.

I have not been to Hawaii cause i like my rib steaks instead. I can't afford to have both!!
A lot of people who own ranches made their money somewhere else. Example I think Walmart owner guy now owns Douglas lake.
Huge money around highway 22. Think Ian Tyson types or oil and gas big shots.
Some outfits are third generation or more with deep pockets.
Really rare are small family outfits usually with a spouse working in town to make it possible. These are more to the east of the scenic eastern slope or of the foothills. That or up north.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:40 PM
Banned

Ranchers aren’t getting rich. Big packing plants are. Doesn’t Cargill own a huge feed lot in Alberta . Price of beef in Canada gets higher when our dollar goes lower like now. American feedlots buy our cattle and south it goes .
Who do you think had government put in huge regulations for packing plants? Companies like Cargill so little guy can’t survive because of economy of scale.
Plus during bse ranchers made squat as couldn’t ship to US. Saw no one say let me pay more for my beef. Guys left make money because they know how to make ends meat getting next to nothing for their cattle then.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
All I’m saying is why not buy Alberta beef. It’s available. Sure the US has good beef too. All my trips to Texas I have had a few great steaks and I mean delicious. Hey even saw a steak drive thru in Abilene. I’m just preferring to support our guys
Agreed! Have had excellent beef on both sides of the border. Best stake I ever had was A ribeye in Calgary. Now I have montana beef which is pretty darn good as well. I always try to support local when I can. If I don’t help them out with their livelihoods why should I expect them to then help me out with mine?
Old 05-26-2020, 04:20 AM

My first post I hit the 3 button instead of 2. It should have read it takes 2 years for a calf to reproduce.
About profits. The temporary shut down at Cargill and JBS would have really hurt any feedlots. Hopefully it doesn't happen again and packing plants will work through there back logs and calves will be worth something during the fall run.
But yeah no rancher is getting rich with cows. Imagine if they shut those plants down again when covid more than likely comes back. That would be a disaster.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:07 AM

Quote:

Milk was all poured out because schools are shut down. No schools, no milk program. Restaurants being shuttered for two months didn’t help either...

Last edited by 1899b; 05-26-2020 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 AM

If you have ever seen American corn fed beef when it is hanging you would never buy it.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you have ever seen American corn fed beef when it is hanging you would never buy it.
Why is that?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 AM

I will never walk into a store to buy beef or pork, support the farmer right at his own farm. Best beef I’ve had is straight from the farmer, I pay him he sends it to slaughter I pick up my meat from butcher of his choice. Freezer always full and I never have to think about store prices or wether I have supported locally.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:

If you hunt on private land maybe this fall you could explain your first paragraph to any ranchers before you ask permission. Tell them how it is