Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Think I need a plumber - St.albert

My wife gave the kid a bath last night, filled up the tub fairly full. didn't think anything of it when she let it all down the drain.

I went down stairs after bedtime was finished and there was water on the floor. looked like it had backed up and came out of the floor drain in the furnace room. water looked clean except for a bit of silt

wasn't much water on the floor, maybe 4 or 5 liters.

I had this same kind of thing happen at my old place. the city came and snaked the line and found that the pipe had collapsed on their side of the property line.

Never had a problem in this house before, but i am thinking there may be an obstruction in the main drain somewhere and the full tub of water draining all at once was more than it could handle. This house was built in 1974, did they use clay drain pipes around here at the time?

does anyone have a plumber to recommend that can snake and scope the line? its a long ways to the property line on this house, so i don't think the city will be on the hook for it this time.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 PM

Home depot rental of a 100 foot snake is fairly reasonable. Gross as it is to use it it's far more bearable than the discussion about proper disposal of feminine hygiene products.

Colin
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Cosa

The City of St. Albert utilities department does respond to sewer calls. They will auger and camera your sewer service to possibly pin point the problem. Just go on their website and all the info is available, unsure of cost though.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Any trees out front? Roots could be your problem...
Old 02-21-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
My wife gave the kid a bath last night, filled up the tub fairly full. didn't think anything of it when she let it all down the drain.

I went down stairs after bedtime was finished and there was water on the floor. looked like it had backed up and came out of the floor drain in the furnace room. water looked clean except for a bit of silt

wasn't much water on the floor, maybe 4 or 5 liters.

I had this same kind of thing happen at my old place. the city came and snaked the line and found that the pipe had collapsed on their side of the property line.

Never had a problem in this house before, but i am thinking there may be an obstruction in the main drain somewhere and the full tub of water draining all at once was more than it could handle. This house was built in 1974, did they use clay drain pipes around here at the time?

does anyone have a plumber to recommend that can snake and scope the line? its a long ways to the property line on this house, so i don't think the city will be on the hook for it this time.
More then likely you will have claytile pipe. ABS/PVC wasnt really popular till the early 80,s.Do not call action auger/ gentlemens plumbing; biggest rip-off company i have ever seen. PM sent
Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 PM

Call the city public works. They will have a crew down and run a camera down. If plugged they will power auger it. The camera will determine if its roots and where they are. We've had them out to inspect our line every fall. Cost is shared due to the roots being on both sides of the line. I think its $75 dollars added to our sewer bill if the have to auger it. Bu that was 2 years ago last fall.
And ours is clay pipes and the house was built in '73
Old 02-21-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
Call the city public works. They will have a crew down and run a camera down. If plugged they will power auger it. The camera will determine if its roots and where they are. We've had them out to inspect our line every fall. Cost is shared due to the roots being on both sides of the line. I think its $75 dollars added to our sewer bill if the have to auger it. Bu that was 2 years ago last fall.
Great idea!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post

called the city and they sent a crew in less than an hour. scoped the line and found the provlem. fixed it.for free but said next time it happens it will be 90 bucks. crew was awesome. thanks for the tip
Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
called the city and they sent a crew in less than an hour. scoped the line and found the provlem. fixed it.for free but said next time it happens it will be 90 bucks. crew was awesome. thanks for the tip
I found out the hard way how reasonable the city is.
Get roots in my lines about every 6-7 years.
First time I had a plumbing outfit clear the lines it was about $400.
A friend told me to call the city next time...had it done by them twice now...each time under $100.
At least we're getting something for our taxes.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:36 PM

I've had the city clean mine 3 times. The last time they used a foam of some sort that kills the roots. They said it normally works for a couple years. Its been two or three years now. I am also on the list to have them inspect it every October or November. Its been no charge if they don't have to do any work other than run a camera down the line.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
That's awesome!! I would have never thought to call the city for something like this. AO comes through again to save another member some money!

I love threads like this.