Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Yep that’s how I look at it. The spirit of the olympics is not to be a poor sport. Just cause your a Canadian playing hockey doesn’t mean you should automatically be handed gold just for showing up. I lost respect for team canada when they adopted the gold or nothing attitude. Be proud of your accomplishment! sure it wasn’t what you wanted but there are hundreds of others that would have been proud to Bring silver home to their nation!
Very well put.
If that how she behaves with silver she doesn't deserve gold.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Disgraceful. No different then the young swede who hucked his silver into the crowd at the most recent world juniors. I'm sure there is a line up of hard working athletes with a sense of sportsmanship to replace that garbage attitude.

Sweden's captain throws silver medal into crowd after frustrating loss to Canada | CTV News
https://www.ctvnews.ca › mobile › sports
Old 02-22-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I apply it to everything

Second or third place sucks. In business, jobs, war, etc

I just dont see the value or honour in accepting loss,and showing disapproval is acknowledging and demonstrating that.

If people are accepting of loss, how do we improve? Do we just settle into mediocrity and find someone to blame for it?
I agree with your train of thought, 100%.

Second place is first loser.

You didn’t win. There is only one winner.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I apply it to everything

I just dont see the value or honour in accepting loss,and showing disapproval is acknowledging and demonstrating that.

If people are accepting of loss, how do we improve? Do we just settle into mediocrity and find someone to blame for it?
X2 if you aint first..... your last.

Last edited by Morbius131; 02-24-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Banned

Default That is sad !

Spoiled brat .

Oh and FYI ....that is Unsportpeoplelike conduct ......lmao ...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 PM

I don't blame her either way. Emotions in the moment get the best of many people.

Yes, there is only one winner. However, I don't care who you are there is always someone richer, faster, stronger, smarter and on any given day you can get your rearend handed to you.

If you played to win and left nothing on the table then you can walk away with your head held high. And that is not mediocrity.

In the end you are only in competition with yourself.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post
Did she take the medal and throw it in the stands like the junior hockey player from Sweden ?? Not that I saw.

Its been years since I have played competitive sports, and I know what it is like to lose. In fact I was never on a winning team in anything, and we never got a ribbon or medal for participation.

These girls played their hearts out for their country, and for each other. They were physically and emotionally drained.

They lost in a shootout (the shootout has to go), but they will get over it. They were extremely disappointed, and rightfully so. In time they will be proud of their accomplishments, and proud of their silver medal.

Please cut them some slack.

Mr Conservation
I'm with on this one. They played a great game and lost in a crappy shoot out. And to top it off they have to come back to Justine Truedue. That would bum anyone out , even with a Gold around thier neck.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 PM

Kaetlyn Osmond just won the bronze in women's freestyle. Only the 6th Canadian to ever medal in that competition. After all of her injuries she nearly gave up skating but came through for Canada. A winner in every sense of the word.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 PM

Maybe, just maybe, she secretly wanted gold.
Again was she pizzed off and threw it in the crowd, and throw a tantrum??

Ummmn no.

She went for gold, and didn't win. She wanted gold.

For all you that have never competed in high calibre, or any calibre sport, you train to win.

For everything. Fans, teammates, family, town division or country, you are there to win.

Maybe she was making a statement, I failed.

I don't even deserve this silver either...

I'm sure you guys will figger it out though...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 PM

I’m all about Winning. But they definitely did not deserve to win that game. They were scrambling, could not make a pass and the tieing goal was due to a terrible line change. Americans were all over them. With that said you need to take the loss like a champ.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
No one trains to win silver.

I don't blame her at all

Being “satisfied “ with second place is wrong

Id like the Olympics to only give out gold medals
AHHHH just be like the Mayans and off with their heads if they lose.
We have raised a generation of whiners who can't be happy unless they win it all or it is given to them.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigg View Post
Thanks for the pointer, how much do I owe you?
Hey, it's on the house. Common sense is always delivered free of charge
Old 02-23-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:

I don't blame her at all

I entirely agree.

Coming second is only a goal for one thing. Mrs Tree awards gold stars on the family’s chore board. The Shrubs have learned to not ask anymore....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 05:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I disagree, lots of people train for silver, bronze, even finishing. The Olympics is filled with athletes that know they have no chance of winning. They compete to compete, and there is no shame in doing your best and coming up short.
That's exactly right, compete, give it your all and see where the cards fall, compete and that's what they do, good on each athlete to see where they stand at a world level.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2018, 07:43 AM

Hockey is a team sport.
She was the only one on her team doing her " show", what makes her more than the team?
Hockey players are honoured for keeping their emotions in check for the game.
Could you imagine someone doing the icky shuffle after a goal?

To me, by her poor sportmanship, she emphasized her loss even worse by her display. She'll never be a leader.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

It's always more fun to win.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 AM

I'm guessing she's upset with herself but she represented our country well so cut her some slack she is only human after all.It just showed how much she cared.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM

https://www.bardown.com/jocelyne-lar...ates-1.1008379

she issued an apology for those that were butthurt over it
Old 02-23-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I don't blame her at all

She was a disgrace to the sport and our country.

Quote:
I apply it to everything

So you have come out on top with everything you have done ? Or, have you gave it your all and acknowledged your efforts as the best you could have done...

She should be stripped of all future opportunities to represent our country on any level... IMO
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM

If she was content with silver 5 minutes after losing the gold medal game I would suggest she is not competitive enough to ever win gold. Unfortunately in this day and age of couch coaches if you are in the public eye it doesn't matter how you handle a loss you will offend someone. I am more offended by Mr Dressup in India embarrassing our country on the world stage than I will ever be with an athlete that has a rough time with losing an important game.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
If she was content with silver 5 minutes after losing the gold medal game I would suggest she is not competitive enough to ever win gold. Unfortunately in this day and age of couch coaches if you are in the public eye it doesn't matter how you handle a loss you will offend someone. I am more offended by Mr Dressup in India embarrassing our country on the world stage than I will ever be with an athlete that has a rough time with losing an important game.
Bingo!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Very well said!!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:12 PM

I can easily forgive reaction arising from the intensity of high level competition even if I don't like it - I understand from whence it came.

As above - if you want embarrassment as a nation and something that truly requires apology on a national basis you have just to look at that pompous boffoon poncing around in India trying to show his cultural sensitivity by dressing up and wishing everyone namaste.
Not quite sure how that might be different from putting him on a fringed jacket and eagle feathers before going to visit the folks on the rez - probably get the same response as well, somewhere between disdain and disgust.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
She was a disgrace to the sport and our country.

So you have come out on top with everything you have done ? Or, have you gave it your all and acknowledged your efforts as the best you could have done...

She should be stripped of all future opportunities to represent our country on any level... IMO
When did the topic change? Thought it was about Olympic hockey...

When the thread is about me, I may or may not addess it.

She showed her dissatisfaction. Its a good trait in my view.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 PM

I have coached competitive basketball for a long time, almost 2 decades. I always tell my boys, when we lose, keep your mouth shut, shake hands, look them in the eye, hold your head high................... and in the locker room, when it is just the team, be as mad as you want. Within reason, I don't care what happens in private. Get it out of your system.

Some people don't like that advice, but I give it because I can completely relate to how awful standing in that medal ceremony is, getting the silver and watching the team that beat you get gold. It's the absolute worst feeling.

At the Olympic level, losing gold, what she did is nothing in my mind. She was sick to her stomach and blaming herself and made an emotional decision. If she were my little girl, I would be some proud. It's just not that big a deal.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
When did the topic change? Thought it was about Olympic hockey...

When the thread is about me, I may or may not addess it.

She showed her dissatisfaction. Its a good trait in my view.
Should have not made it personal, we have a difference of opinion on the subject.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
This comment reflects my feelings on what she did.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Youth has strength of opinion.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well stated wwbirds
I think the naysayers on here are just used to watching their PROFESSIONAL millionaire hockey players settling for anything but EXCELLENCE. Mediocrity seems OK for NHL players.
This lady poured her heart and soul out training for the Olympic's..she has every right to feel choked. She has a heart for the game. Cannot really say the same for the NHL'ers..
Old 02-24-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:

I don't blame her at all

IMO what she did was wrong and no respect for her teammates and her Country as she was representing . She is not a younger teenager. No excuse. You didn’t see another one of her fellow team members remove their medal ( to go back to early January 2018-you want my opinion of the World Juniors Swedish captain tossing his silver medal, I dont think he deserved it back- those young boys/men play at elite level hockey), and now she has to live with that moment for the rest of her life and what makes it worse for her sadly, it happened at a worldly event and many people saw it. Team Canada didn’t play and deserve to win. I think they thought FATE was going to work for them. As a team they didn’t derseve to win gold. They were outplayed by a team that was faster, worked harder, controlled the play most of the time. Cant rely on couple players all the time. Just sucks to loose in a shootout. Canada’s women had a chance to win in OT with the Powerplay and squandered it....no puck control, just gave it away. Now the Canadian Women rookies and vets have that bitter taste of defeat and will remember that feeling and use it for good next time

I have no problems with 1st to 3rd to get back to the quote. In some events you win a silver and bronze. In others you loose it’s silver but you work hard to earn the bronze because no one remembers 4th place.

You will always have winners and losers in games and in life but our society for years has lead to the youth to believe in Participation Ribbons for all and they are “entitled to it”. Been like this for years now. It’s ok , get babied some more. Here some more hand outs, everyone is the same. Seen this in the track and field events at my kids schools as an example. Drives me nuts. Maybe you didnt “earn “ a ribbon or medal, you will work harder to be better the next time because you want to be successful/do better and work hard to achieve the goals you have set.

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 02-24-2018 at 02:16 AM.