Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Panther River bear mauling

http://globalnews.ca/news/3695057/ma...n-sundre-alta/
Old 08-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Glad he's ok, yeah there are a few grizzly out there
Old 08-28-2017, 10:56 AM

Thats where we were camping. We've hunted the area for years and yes, we know of at least two sows and their cubs every year. We were actually there when we seen FW fly right over us in the heli with a big bear trap
Old 08-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Default species

They haven't revealed which species as we have no grizzlies in AB according to the tree huggers.Harold
Old 08-28-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
They haven't revealed which species as we have no grizzlies in AB according to the tree huggers.Harold
That's a no brainer, No Blacks there to speak of. Does keep the speculation about Grizzly numbers alive though.

Grizz
Old 08-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Yeah, I was around there too. Seen the chopper and talked to the CO. Sobering...
Old 08-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
That's a no brainer, No Blacks there to speak of. Does keep the speculation about Grizzly numbers alive though.

Grizz
Oh believe me, theres Black bears but they are pretty shy. We had one come into the gravel pit by mountainaire because we were eating lunch. He took right off after I seen him. Big bugger too. Apparently the mauling was a grizzly though. Wonder how he fought it off, young bear maybe? Poor guy! I wonder if he had spray and was caught off guard? When we were there friday I sensed something was off about the area
Old 08-28-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Confirmed it is a grizzly:

"Fish and wildlife officers are investigating a bear mauling in a remote area southwest of Sundre. In anticipation of bighorn sheep season, the man had been scouting about 12 – 13 km away from the trailhead when the incident took place. He was able to escape and hiked to the trailhead before driving his vehicle to the Mountanaire Lodge area. From there, he was airlifted in a private helicopter to the Sundre hospital and then later transferred to a Calgary hospital. He is being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries to his body, head and face.
Officers collected samples from the survivor’s clothing, and through DNA analysis, we have confirmed that the bear involved was a grizzly. Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear."
Old 08-28-2017, 05:00 PM

Officers have closed the area to the public and are actively attempting to trap the bear."

Guy was 13 k in, what's the sense, especially since there are probably several bears wandering around out there. Sow with two cubs at the JI couple of weeks ago. she's probably still in the neighborhood.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
"...are actively attempting to trap the bear."

What are they going to after/if they trap him? Release him 1-5 km deeper in the bush? Genuinely interested.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 PM

Sadly BC could start to see their fair share of this with all of the fires displacing animals and no trophy season in the coming years.

Is there a record showing a time when grizzly bears were more abundant in the mountains/foothills than they are now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
Sadly BC could start to see their fair share of this with all of the fires displacing animals and no trophy season in the coming years.

Is there a record showing a time when grizzly bears were more abundant in the mountains/foothills than they are now?

According to research Grizzly Boars need a huge home range,hence the spreading of them eastwards.I am sure back in the distant past there were more,but not in the recent. They are a magnificent animal,however they have to be controlled somehow.Relocating is the usual solution, but where to put them is thee problem.Simply no good habitat with low bear density left.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

I've got an idea, how about instead of moving the problem bears to another campsite... how about making a designated area for problem bears, and open the season in that area.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Default bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
I've got an idea, how about instead of moving the problem bears to another campsite... how about making a designated area for problem bears, and open the season in that area.
sort of like a reservation for bears
Old 04-15-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
No guarantee they will stay in the new area or where they will turn up. It also costs money.

Bullets are cheaper and more effective.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
North Burnt Timber , where this attack actually took place, is a release site for problem bears. That's where the Cochrane grizzlies were taken . Trying to get anybody to talk about this was like beating your head into a brick wall. Mirius, the Sundre fish cop, real estate agent, got down right nasty when I pushed the question.

Grizz
Old 04-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Default bears

Just for the record guys some numbers:
1) Only 172 fatal bear attacks in North America todate.
2) Most dangerous province/state to die from bear is Montana, followed by Alaska, Alberta and BC.
3) Glacier National Park most dangerous bear area followed by Yellowstone.
4) In 1940's to 1960's only average of 9 fatal bear attacks per 10 year period, then 70's to 90's doubled to 21. So far in 2000's went up to 46.
5) Some of most dangerous things you can do in wilderness, sleep in tent, dress out elk/moose, and jog.
6) just as may fatal attacks by black bears as grizz. Very few by polar bears.
Hope this helps stay safe.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just for the record guys some numbers:
1) Only 172 fatal bear attacks in North America todate.
2) Most dangerous province/state to die from bear is Montana, followed by Alaska, Alberta and BC.
3) Glacier National Park most dangerous bear area followed by Yellowstone.
4) In 1940's to 1960's only average of 9 fatal bear attacks per 10 year period, then 70's to 90's doubled to 21. So far in 2000's went up to 46.
5) Some of most dangerous things you can do in wilderness, sleep in tent, dress out elk/moose, and jog.
6) just as may fatal attacks by black bears as grizz. Very few by polar bears.
Hope this helps stay safe.
Ever more people going to bear country, coupled with an abundance of bears, things are gonna happen, still safer than crossing the street in a big city.

Grizz
Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM
Banned

Big boar ran a guy out of there on the opener in i wanna say 2014 or 15...can't remember, maybe 14. I ran into him near the trail head on way out, i was on my mountain bike and he was limping his atv and trailer full of gear out(atv was overheating, i caught up to him on bike), got the story at the trucks, i helped him load his atv trailer(that's a whole nuther story, two years in a row he was in there on atv when he shouldn't have been, rest of us on foot/bicycle or horse as we should, i understand he finally got charged?)

Anyway, if it's the same bear that really sucks. This one woke this guy up about 11pm by chewing on his tent with him in it. It stayed with him till about 4am, he ran beepers/alarms on his alarm and phone which he said did the best at deterring him, not sure if he did a warning shot or not...as i'm thinking about this i'm recollecting he said he did a warning shot right by it's head and it was unphased....so he said the beepers from alarm and phone set alternating every 5 minutes seemed to be the most effective, he kept the gun on him while it circled him 20 yards in the trees, flashlight etc....that would be one long night!!! He said he saw it sleeping above him on a slope in the am so he just packed up and left straight away...day two of season when i ran into him on way out. He was back in there the next year though, on his atv again.

My speculation why he didn't shoot was because not only was he in there on his atv when he shouldn't have been but he was also an outfitter, muley outfitter drum region from recollection of the sticker on his truck. When i asked him why i didn't roll in there on my honda foreman he just said well his buddy 'fr___' the outfitters son perhaps? said to go ahead and head in there on his atv.

Anyway, if this bear had been shot then maybe this guy wouldn't have had had to endure what he did? I really hope it's not the same bear.

I'm feeling pretty lucky right about now.

That's also pretty ****ty deal if they really dump problem bears in there, that should be posted at the trail heads if that's true!!!!!!

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 04-16-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
North Burnt Timber , where this attack actually took place, is a release site for problem bears. That's where the Cochrane grizzlies were taken . Trying to get anybody to talk about this was like beating your head into a brick wall. Mirius, the Sundre fish cop, real estate agent, got down right nasty when I pushed the question.

Grizz
I talked to an officer this summer about this same topic while a grizz was in a trap. Sounds like 4 general drop locations. Cochrane area, Nordegg area, and grande cache depends on where they are caught. Local land fill is also an option depending Sex and situation
Old 10-24-2022, 11:57 PM

I heard sometimes the “drop” at the drop area is from fairly high up.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:05 AM

Default Just like Chile

Free helicopter rides one way minus the volcano.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

That’s just brutal!
I guess when you spend so much time outdoors you get real comfortable to the point that if something was to happen your just not ready to go the full extent of a bear encounter.
I am guilty of being like that and have to remind myself what if?
Not saying walking around like your on a night patrol but just as said above aware and prepared.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...