Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2015, 04:09 AM

Default Simple Salmon Brine

Hey guys, I know a lot off you are very knowledgable when it comes to this subject. I just received a new smoker for Christmas, I already popped of some great ribs, but now I'm looking to smoke some salmon. If you guys could set me up with some recipes for a simple or even complex brine that would be great. The reason I'm looking for a simple recipe is because I would like to experiment with flavores. I.e different levels of spice, and sweet. Feel free to share any beef jerky recommendations as well, as I will be doing that next. I really appreciate any feedback!!!
Old 12-27-2015, 09:11 AM

I go very simple. I sprinkle both sides of a salmon fillet with pickling salt and brown sugar. Let sit in refrigerator overnight in glass dish covered. Take salmon out, rinse dry with paper towel and let come up to room temp for at least 1 hour. Just be careful to not use to much pickling salt. The tail end (thinner) can get quite salty. I smoke at about 200-225 for about 2.5-3 hrs I think. Basically until the salmon starts to flake. I like it to be cooked but not dry. I only hit it with smoke for about 40 minutes. Can smoke longer depends what you like. This is done in a Bradly for reference.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:23 AM

go buy a bottle of high mountain demera cure and follow the instructions as for weight etc its basically salt and brown sugar but if you follow the guide it turns out good not to salty etc. Ive wrecked a lot of fish by being either to salty or not enough, Ive used this for about 3 years now and like it, doesnt get any simpler or easier.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default Salt. Sit. Rinse.

Cover completely w kosher or pickling salt and sugar. Maybe 3/1 salt to sugar depending on your preference. Brown works best imho.
Sit 24 hrs in fridge.
Take out. Rinse and rub down. Rinse. Rinse.
Let sit in fridge another day or so. Will get a bit of a glaze.
Nothing complicated, just takes a few steps and time.

Enjoy
Post pics.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default Salt. Sit. Rinse.

Cover completely w kosher or pickling salt and sugar. Maybe 3/1 salt to sugar depending on your preference. Brown works best imho.
Sit 24 hrs in fridge.
Take out. Rinse and rub down. Rinse. Rinse.
Let sit in fridge another day or so. Will get a bit of a glaze.
Nothing complicated, just takes a few steps and time.

I prefer lowest temp you can get for the longest time before its dry.
Enjoy
Post pics.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Brine

Been smoking fish for about 40 years...
Biggest mistake I see is too much salt.
I use 4 parts dark brown sugar to one part table salt.
Layer it generously on the flesh side of the fillets. Set them in a pan in your fridge overnight. The salt will draw out a lot of moisture. Do not rinse them. Smoke the fillets as you wish- I like my smoker to reach 180 F for about 1.5 hours.
Next is due is choice of wood. I like apple best, but maple or alder is pretty good and it is free. Make sure all bark is off. Don't try birch - it is quite bitter.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
been smoking fish for about 40 years...
Biggest mistake i see is too much salt.
Layer it generously on the flesh side of the fillets. Set them in a pan in your fridge overnight. The salt will draw out a lot of moisture. Do not rinse them. Smoke the fillets as you wish- i like my smoker to reach 180 f for about 1.5 hours.
Next is due is choice of wood. I like apple best, but maple or alder is pretty good and it is free. Make sure all bark is off. Don't try birch - it is quite bitter.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Totally agree with the brown sugar/a little salt brine. Works awesome. I smoke at ~200-250. Your choice of wood, but cant really go wrong.

Here's the recipe I use, with maybe a little less salt, like half, otherwise I follow it to a T! - try it and see.. worked first time for me. Thanks to my SIL.

http://salmonuniversity.com/archives/582

Mike

Also: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=206727
Old 12-28-2015, 02:37 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Layer it generously on the flesh side of the fillets. Set them in a pan in your fridge overnight. The salt will draw out a lot of moisture. Do not rinse them. Smoke the fillets as you wish- I like my smoker to reach 180 F for about 1.5 hours.
Nailed it!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 AM

Maybe look through this sticky thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=206727

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Generally agree with the above but with some additional comments. Be cautious of which type of salt you use as table salt will be much "salter" than kosher salt as an example (smaller salt particles and sodium content is different so check the labels). I'd personally recommend you run with the kosher salt (higher quality) as opposed to table salt. The higher quality the salt the better especially on more costly items being smoked.

I also rinse my fillets with cold water for about 15-30 seconds each. It is also critically important that you allow the fillets to air dry in a cool area (2-4hrs minimum) before smoking them so as to allow the fillets to form pellicle on the surface of the fillets. This pellicle will help to maintain moisture and flavor within the meat.

If you want to add any additional spicing just after rinsing is the time to do it (pepper, garlic powder, etc). One can also will baste the fillets during the last 1/2 hour of smoking with honey/maple syrup blend to get a nice sweet glaze on them. The kids really like that.

175F to 200F max for about 1.5 - 3.0 hours depending on thickness of fillet. You may want to cut slits into really thick/large fillets (+10lbs fish) to ensue brine and smoke get into the thickest parts of the fillet.

Apple and Cherry I like best for fish. Maple, Alder, or Hickory will work too. Different wood species lend to different flavor profiles. One will need to experiment till they find their favorite.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I also use this basic technique. Though I use coarse salt and I do rinse and let dry before smoking. Also as one poster mentioned the tails will finish a lot quicker than the chest area. I cut my fillets into 3 or 4 pieces before putting in the smoker. The tails on one shelf the rest distributed. This way I can easily pull them out sooner.

I haven't tried the glazing ideas yet, but they sound really good to me. I like the idea of a maple syrup glaze.

Enjoy.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Thank you for all the info, you guys have made this simple, and now I am in the process of getting her done, I will post back with results, and again thank you very much!!!