Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 AM

Default Barry Mitchell has passed away

Barry Mitchell of Red Deer, Alberta passed away.

Many of you know Barry from his days publishing the Alberta Fishing Guide magazine and many others from his book “Alberta’s Trout Highway”.

Barry’s interest in our Province’s fishery extended well beyond his writings. He was one of the founding Directors of the Central Alberta Trout Organization formed in the early 80’s serving in many capacities including President. He worked tirelessly on stream remediation projects throughout Central Alberta, he conceived and implemented the Alberta Streamwatch program to provide increased enforcement on the East Slopes streams. Barry pushed Govt. to rewrite the East Slopes angling regulations which successfully improved the fishery.

The list of fishery related issues where Barry was involved is near endless.

The family is hosting an informal, come-and-go funeral reception for him on Friday, March 6 from 2 to 5 pm at Eventide Funeral Chapel in Red Deer (4820 45 St.). There is no official service happening. An obit will be published in the Red Deer Advocate soon.

On a personal level, Barry was a very close friend and we shared camps many times throughout Alberta.

In Barry, I not only lost a friend but the fish did as well.

We all will miss him.

Regards,

Don

Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Today is a sad day.

He is one of the reason I enjoy fishing as much as I do.
He and I share a campsite on the blackstone one day a few years back.

I will be reading his book tonight.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Don sorry for you loss of such a great Friend. RIP Barry and thanks for everything you did for Alberta and myself.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 PM

Gained so much from his books back in the day! And im sure he will rest easy knowing so many more will enjoy them!
Old 03-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Very sad news

I have many, many copies of his AFG and just last week was going through his book again.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Dale
Old 03-03-2015, 03:11 PM

Default R.I.P .Mr Mitchell

My own Alberta fly-fishing experiences started with a copy of his Alberta fishing guide years ago... my only direct story involving Mr. Mitchell was the day he found my wallet after it sat on the bank trail along the Crowsnest River until he found it in the Spring and sent it back to me intact with a note.

Best wishes to his family, I'm sure he will be remembered by all who had the pleasure to meet him as an honest and good caring man.

Sincerely,

Greg Jarvis
Calgary, Alberta
Old 03-03-2015, 03:48 PM

Oh Cousin..
We will cast a fly and raise a glass in your memory on the banks of the Sundance. You made the familiy very proud. Rest well ..you will be missed but never forgotten.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

Barry was an avid and able advocate for fishing and conservation. He did not hesitate to call government officials when he thought an issue was not being addressed, or it was not addressed correctly.

We need his type of dedication to resource to emerge from current anglers. It would be sad to see his legacy stop, that legacy being one of conservation and what was best for the fisheries, not for the fisher man.

My thoughts to his family.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM

RIP sir. Still read parts of the book at least once per month.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 PM

Truly a sad day. His input into our fisheries will be greatly missed.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Banned

Like his mother and father....a great Albertan.

Rest in Peace Barry. We will always remember you and your mom and dad.

And we will keep fighting for our streams.

Last edited by greylynx; 03-03-2015 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Further thought
Old 03-03-2015, 07:12 PM

My fishing buddy and I were doing the Blackstone in August of 09 I think. We were doing the gap to the meadows, full day with optimum conditions catching tons of willing cutts and some bulls on the dry. Bout half way down we met up with a trio, turned out to be Barry, his son Matt and an older angler who's name I cannot remember. We chatted for a bit and wished each other luck. The next morning we made a point to say hi and chat a bit again after getting ready for our trip from the gated bridge where he was camped down to the rec area. Talked about a stretch we were planning on trying(not very accessable). "keep this one under your hats boys" is what he says and proceeds to give us some pointers. Hell of a nice guy with lots of entertaing stories. It was honestly the most memorable trip for us, still talk bout the time we met Barry Mitchell on the Blackstone.
Condolences to his family and friends as we've looked up to him since the start of our fly fishing adventures in Alberta.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:40 PM

RIP, thanks for your environmental contributions and for honing and enhancing my passion. You will be missed
Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM

Default What a great legacy

Each of us who cherishes a day with fly rod in hand on one of Alberta's spectacular East Slope streams ought to take a minute the next time we slip into our waders and give thanks to all that Barry did to enhance and preserve our trout fisheries. Thank you, Barry. You won't soon be forgotten.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Default Rip

Barry is the major reason I kept on with fly fishing. My first trip my first ever fly fishing after practicing in the back yard was the Stauffer Creek. Think it is called North Raven now. I had a terrible day I couldn't get the line out properly getting snagged on pieces of Canada, basically driving me nuts. Then who did I meet on the bank while I was contemplating where to put my fancy fly rod. It was Barry Michel, I didn't know who he was at the time. He asked me if I was having problems, I said I have a bald head for a reason. We had a good laugh he then promptly showed what I was doing wrong and how to fix it.
Barry allowed me to stay with him for the rest of the day I learned a great amount from him. His technique was flawless, his approach to the water and how to read it is etched in my mind to this day. You know I still have some the flies he had tied I have them in a separate fly box I show to a select few. They have never been in the water.
Thank you for the Memories Barry Michel
Old 03-06-2015, 03:57 PM

Greatly saddened.I only met Mr.Mitchell once on a drizzly not so nice afternoon.I had a fire going and some coffee and "cream".The chat we had and the advise he gave will never be forgotten.He did more for Alberta fishing than anyone I know.He will greatly missed.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:12 PM

Will greatly miss a true conservationist and a great fisherman, thanks for all the knowledge you passed on Barry. May you find many happy streams in your next life, Cheers!