Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Thanks for posting! Nice to see someone is actually paying attention.

BHA is nothing but a wolf in sheeps clothing.
I really think they believe they aren't being used. Definitely not wolves.

I'm thinking more like sheep being lead to,,,,,, you know where.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
PS. If your're so tired of dealing with conspiracy theories and us uneducated redneck goofs, simple solution. Stop posting.
There are lots of people on here who are less vocal, who support us and come out to our events. I'll post what we are doing, and the occasional response. Keep it simple.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe black View Post
then you wonder why people get pizzed off with you after you talk down to hunters and anglers that don't "fit" what you think is the only "pure" way of enjoying hunting or fishing.
😂 something about a pot and a kettle...
Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 PM

So there are two accounts posting here..... you got Jordan_BHA and PikePinkster.

Jordan Pinkster is on the board for trout inlimited and the backcountry hunters and anglers, what a coincidence.

What kind of d-bag posts with two accounts?

I’m sure the BHA is full of just as much integrity
Old 05-27-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
So there are two accounts posting here..... you got Jordan_BHA and PikePinkster.

Jordan Pinkster is on the board for trout inlimited and the backcountry hunters and anglers, what a coincidence.

What kind of d-bag posts with two accounts?

I’m sure the BHA is full of just as much integrity
......we have two Jordan's on the board for BHA. I joined recently at our AGM and the website hasn't been updated yet...
Old 05-27-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_BHA View Post
There are lots of people on here who are less vocal, who support us and come out to our events. I'll post what we are doing, and the occasional response. Keep it simple.
Great.

And maybe, in the future, you should try being a little less "blunt"

Just saying.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Great.

And maybe, in the future, you should try being a little less "blunt"

Just saying.
Fair point. My apologies.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 AM

Nice podcast.

It's too bad that conspiracy theorists spend so much energy causing division rather than using that energy in a constructive way.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Pinkster/pinko commie?

A lot of double speak in their words.

The creepy invite out for a beer and a brainwashing session sounds like a time share sales pitch...GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownguy View Post
Nice podcast.

It's too bad that conspiracy theorists spend so much energy causing division rather than using that energy in a constructive way.
No conspiracy theory here.

Andy Von Busse and Kevin Van Tighem are well known eco-fairies, Y2Y members (also Shannon Phillips is a supporter/member), and were both heavily involved in the shutdown of the grizzly hunt. They have also been fully in favor of the castle park creation which has lots about native hunting but little about resident hunters beyond current regs. Want to guess what will happen if the dippers get another term?

They are using the BHA name in Alberta to promote the Y2Y agenda.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 AM

Hardly a conspiracy theory when Y2Y initiative is being played out right before our eyes now that extreme left eco activist shannon Phillips is in power. Crown land(public land) is being taken following Y2Y’s map to a T. Constant praise to Phillips from Y2Y , CPAWS and many other extreme environmental groups. They get the attention. Their articles are the ones published, they get the media attention. Shannon clearly listens to them and them alone.
Constant proof is coming forward such as letter promising Bighorn park before consultation with the public even happened.
The Livingston porkies map was print dated back to early April, public consultation was still in progress.
None of the consultations results have been released, even with multiple freedom of info requests put forward. Because we know what the results would say.

She ignored all the other stakeholders. Ohv, open/random campers, hunters, berry pickers, trappers... to name a few. Only listened to the eco groups.

These extreme groups have tried in the past to have angling closed in the eastern slopes, if ndp miraculously somehow sees another term, its a strong possibility.

Furthermore it’s very difficult to stomach posts on this forum from BHA as I’ve seen some of their members completely bash this forum and it’s community members on other social media sites. Yet here they are trying to recruit.

It’s Phillips and her eco groups that started/resorted to bashing and name calling.
They are the ones not willing to listen or work with albertans to find common ground. It’s their way or no way.
Albertans are tired, frustrated of not being listened too so I can see why division is happening and people are angry.
Many people now are aware of these agendas than before when castle started. Now that castle, Livingston/oldman, porkies, Bighorn are all being affected, people in this province are waking up and seeing phillipsy2y for what they really are.
They are not the outdoorsmen friend, nor are the groups they support or that support them.
I have had conversations with BHA members, and it’s clear their stance.
I will not support them. And I hope people see through the smoke show.

Last edited by NUK SOO KOW; 05-28-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I have had conversations with BHA members, and it’s clear their stance.
I'm a member and assure you that my stance is passionately pro-hunting, nor am I against OHV use where it does not have a detrimental effect on the environment.

This is my personal opinion,
BHA may work with some groups that are non-hunting groups (And by that I do not mean anti-hunting).
When you focus on the things that you do have in common, such as access, habitat and science based conservation etc. instead of those things that you disagree on it benefits wildlife and ultimately hunters. There is also another benefit which is building bridges to non-hunting groups to show them that hunters are just regular people and not blood thirsty d-bags.
The alternative is that you exclude non-hunting groups and they continue to think of us as psychotic a-holes.
Keep in mind that we only get to hunt because public opinion is not against us.
The vast majority of the public are non-hunters and we need to reach out to them if we want to continue hunting in the future.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 PM

Divide and conquer being used here. Shannon will shut down hunting and fishing one step at a time. But the politicians will keep investment property a the ski hill in West Castle for the wealthy only.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo-Gecko View Post
I'm a member and assure you that my stance is passionately pro-hunting, nor am I against OHV use where it does not have a detrimental effect on the environment.

This is my personal opinion,
BHA may work with some groups that are non-hunting groups (And by that I do not mean anti-hunting).
When you focus on the things that you do have in common, such as access, habitat and science based conservation etc. instead of those things that you disagree on it benefits wildlife and ultimately hunters. There is also another benefit which is building bridges to non-hunting groups to show them that hunters are just regular people and not blood thirsty d-bags.
The alternative is that you exclude non-hunting groups and they continue to think of us as psychotic a-holes.
Keep in mind that we only get to hunt because public opinion is not against us.
The vast majority of the public are non-hunters and we need to reach out to them if we want to continue hunting in the future.
Here’s the thing, it’s not about “non-hunting” groups. Y2Y was expressly anti-non native hunting, then changed their official stance overnight when they got push back. No one believes their end goals have changed. As for some of the other groups, your statement is valid so long as they hold up their end.

The other problem we have with ABHA is high profile members who played an active role in shutting down the griz hunt, and supported a park creation without the express guarantee that ALL people regardless of race would continue to have hunting opportunities. There is no grey area there. Get rid of them, and then we talk. Nothing less will be acceptable.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:21 PM

Default Proud bha member

I am a fifth generation Albertan that cares deeply about the future of all aspects of our incredible province. I am proud to call myself a BHA member. These individuals are busting their asses and sacrificing their personal time to see that our way of life and the wild places that we love are around for future generations to enjoy.

We can't afford to divide. The percentage of the population that we represent decreases year by year. It's up to us to find common ground and work together.

If you'd like to see what we are all about we have a number of events going on all around this province this summer. Pint nights, trout fests, conservation projects, and even a mentored hunt program kicking off this fall.

If a pint night is too scary for you feel free to contact myself directly if you have any questions about the ABHA.

3 blade, have you read the updated Castle Management Plan? Hunting is here to stay.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/2864/documents/10327

Page 107 is where the Hunting section starts.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Banned

What is this, Eco-Freako recruiting week?

Preserve everything for future generations by shutting everything down for the present generation. What a friggin brilliant plan!
Old 05-28-2018, 05:23 PM

Hey Dave,

I'm unaware of any areas that we have lost hunting and angling rights in that BHA has been apart of. Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 05-28-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviwhitney View Post
Hey Dave,

I'm unaware of any areas that we have lost hunting and angling rights in that BHA has been apart of. Can you point me in the right direction?
We have lost tremendous amounts of access. Ohv and on highway vehicle trails. Access is now only for the fit and able. Elderly and people with disabilities who relied on machines for access are hooped.
Im not an “angry quadder “. I do have a sxs but I’m lucky if I put 800 km on it in four years. For me it was to get into or near the hunting, fishing, camping spots. To get firewood for my wood stoves it was my first atv and I’m 37.

Personally if I didn’t have it so be it. But there were many places I would access with my pick up truck my whole life that worked just fine for me. That are now closed. South castle road for example.

I do support people that like to ride for fun(quadders, bikes, sleds, jeeps) done in a responsible manner. That is there passion. So be it. Fly fishing is mine.
I hunt, hike, camp in a trailer and back country camp in tents. A multiuser. We can all co exist in a sustainable manner.

If BHA was so supportive for hunters and anglers, where was their voice when castle happened?
Tell me why a hunter can’t drive a quad 10 km on an established trail and then hike up the valley or peak or tree stand from there?
Why can’t I take my quad with my 70 year old Dad up river 8km on a rocky, well established trail and park and then go fish?
Ndp will be phasing our trails in castle to a complete closure, to 1km of trail(yes 1km) by 2020.
BHA have never fought for access for individuals that may require atv for access.
I have never seen them fight for access period. I do follow them on social media to see what’s happening.
So they are trying to make dogs be able to be off leash during hunting season in wildland parks. Ok. That’s great. But the rest of the year??? I go camp for a week and my gsp is on a 4foot leash the whole time??

I have not seen BHA fight for any access, open camping, ohv trail access, on highway vehicle access, firewood gathering opportunities.
Being able to get dead/standing dead trees for firewood makes room for new growth, gets rid of fire hazards.
Can’t do that anymore.

I have not seen BHA vouch for anything but support for Phillips decisions.
If I’m missing something please tell me.

The members I spoke too were quite strong on their position. So be it. It’s a free country.

But when someone like KVT is/was on your board and he’s trying to tell people the sedimint deposit seen from the highway where castle river enters oldman resovior is from atvs and random campers, and not flooding, wind erosion, natural spring melt, it doesn’t paint a good picture for your organization.

Last edited by NUK SOO KOW; 05-28-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 PM

I also support OHV access as I ride myself. I grew up camping and riding west of Red Deer... I'm not sure if you've spent anytime in that area but it's beat to hell. It's an incredible place and we've really lost the reigns out there.
Personally, I am a hunter and angler first. Any activity that has the potential to threaten the future and usability of an area should really be regulated or at the very least questioned.

The Castle is a whole other beast. BHA wasn't even a thought when the government set their sights on Castle. How I understand it, by the time BHA was a functioning group in Alberta their minds were made up. Keep in mind that BHA was just officially considered a group a little over a year ago. We've done what we can to solidify the future of hunting and angling in the castle and we will continue to make sure that's honored.

BHA has supported and advocated for OHV use on designated trails. Even in the castle for meat retrieval purposes. That being said, our main focus is not OHV or highway vehicle access. We are a group focused on the preservation of public lands, waters, wildlife, and hunting/angling rights. That keeps us pretty damn busy.

I agree with you on the firewood/deadfall harvest. As a province, we are definitely lacking in that department and it's going to catch up with us sooner than later.

We fought like hell to keep anglers in streams out west when their recovery proposal was to stop fishing and turn a blind eye to everything else. We also have fought to keep development out of remote areas.

I can't comment on that conversation with Kevin as I was not there. There's no denial that the amount of stream and river crossings in our wilderness areas has contributed to the damage of those places. Even our industries are starting to heavily invest in the construction of proper crossings.

I find it hard to really to have good conversations behind a screen but hopefully I've made a start. Thanks for the dialogue.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:56 PM
Banned

Enjoyed the podcast thank you. Just starting out on this site and learning lots for the fall.

I'm glad we have a pro hunting conservation group out there.

I'm torn on this issue. I am glad that Alberta has made a million hectares of conservation areas in the north, and in the Castle, and stopped the free for all in the porkies and livingstone. Lack of rules in there was a real problem - the number of unregulated motorized routes was crazy.

Remember also, Castle would have been fully logged and more roaded for oil and gas if NDP hadn't made the park. I for one am glad about that.

The landscapes are going to get wilder - because they are more remote. My preference is for parks with reasonable (lower) levels of ATV access on somedesignated trails but not every valley needs a quad trail to it. Hopefully this will happen in the Bighorn.

I can see if you are primarily a quadder, you would be frustrated, but I don't buy that this government is anti-hunting. 1.4 million hectares of new parks and hunting is allowed in all of them, with the exception of a few safety zones around campsites in the Castle, and need for discharge permits in the provincial park. If the NDP wanted to make non hunting parks they had all the power they needed to do so - they didn't, and I think BHA gets some credit for working with them to make sure this is the case.

Actually increasing enforcement is something else that is a welcome change.

Don't agree with them on lots of things, but I think this government will go down in history as the most pro-conservation government we've ever had, and that means there will still be wild places for my kids and grandkids to hunt and fish. That must mean something here, right? They are also doing this because its popular. You can bet they've been polling the heck out of their decisions, and Albertans love parks and conservation and they see this as a net vote winner.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I am a fifth generation Albertan that cares deeply about the future of all aspects of our incredible province. I am proud to call myself a BHA member. These individuals are busting their asses and sacrificing their personal time to see that our way of life and the wild places that we love are around for future generations to enjoy.

We can't afford to divide. The percentage of the population that we represent decreases year by year. It's up to us to find common ground and work together.

If you'd like to see what we are all about we have a number of events going on all around this province this summer. Pint nights, trout fests, conservation projects, and even a mentored hunt program kicking off this fall.

If a pint night is too scary for you feel free to contact myself directly if you have any questions about the ABHA.

3 blade, have you read the updated Castle Management Plan? Hunting is here to stay.

https://talkaep.alberta.ca/2864/documents/10327

Page 107 is where the Hunting section starts.
Thanks for the link. First I’ve seen of it. Yes, the language looks better. But the history of parks creation in AB is one of eventually prohibiting hunting, so I still maintain a high degree of suspicion, especially with dippers at the helm and a bunch of anti-hunting bios and parks managers crawling around. Time will tell.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou75 View Post
Enjoyed the podcast thank you. Just starting out on this site and learning lots for the fall.

I'm glad we have a pro hunting conservation group out there.

I'm torn on this issue. I am glad that Alberta has made a million hectares of conservation areas in the north, and in the Castle, and stopped the free for all in the porkies and livingstone. Lack of rules in there was a real problem - the number of unregulated motorized routes was crazy.

Remember also, Castle would have been fully logged and more roaded for oil and gas if NDP hadn't made the park. I for one am glad about that.

The landscapes are going to get wilder - because they are more remote. My preference is for parks with reasonable (lower) levels of ATV access on somedesignated trails but not every valley needs a quad trail to it. Hopefully this will happen in the Bighorn.

I can see if you are primarily a quadder, you would be frustrated, but I don't buy that this government is anti-hunting. 1.4 million hectares of new parks and hunting is allowed in all of them, with the exception of a few safety zones around campsites in the Castle, and need for discharge permits in the provincial park. If the NDP wanted to make non hunting parks they had all the power they needed to do so - they didn't, and I think BHA gets some credit for working with them to make sure this is the case.

Actually increasing enforcement is something else that is a welcome change.

Don't agree with them on lots of things, but I think this government will go down in history as the most pro-conservation government we've ever had, and that means there will still be wild places for my kids and grandkids to hunt and fish. That must mean something here, right? They are also doing this because its popular. You can bet they've been polling the heck out of their decisions, and Albertans love parks and conservation and they see this as a net vote winner.
Not a fan of the NDP either, especially the way they spend money, but I agree with this.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Dave,

Publicly backing the creation of the castle park lost my support of BHA. The castle plan even says “hunting will continue in the provincial park in the short term, afterwards a review will likely lead to a tailored plan”

BHA was quick to publicly support the creation of the castle park. However, with news of castle commercial development, including paved lots, food trucks and talks of other commercial operations BHA has been silent. If BHA doesn’t support the commercial takeover of our public land, why the radio silence?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 PM

If anyone wants to see the true colours of ABHA go to their FB page and read first few posts. They are even slagging AOF AGAIN. They wonder why people don’t want to work with ENGO. Aohva and ohv enthusiasts have been the most willing to work with people, ngo, and governments. Along with open campers willing to pay more for registration and user fees to support more enforcement and maintence on public land.

And more name calling from them to and about the ohv and open campers.
Only proves where this organization stands. Total Phillips supporters.
No thanks