Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@G View Post
At basspro, heard a young Asian fella asking if an under armor shirt would stop a bullet. The guy said "you bet" and walked off shaking his head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would have been worth a laugh to take a bullet and toss it against the shirt to see the twit's reaction.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have seen two different people shooting 300winmag ammunition in 300wby rifles. The funny thing is, that even after seeing empty cases with almost no necks, they mever caught on, and had to be told what was going on. However, without being present at the store to hear what they asked for, I don't necessarily blame the store,. I have heard people refer to a Vanguard in 300win mag as a 300wby, and I have had people tell me about their 300 Remington rifle. If they don't know what they have themselves, who knows what they asked for.. As to the "bullets", both cartridges do use the same bullets.
He had asked for the .300 Weatherby magnum ammunition. He didn't know they were wrong either. His brother and I laughed at him and I got a box of shells for cheap. Lol
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM

Not at the gun counter,but recent coworker/ex-army "sniper/ex-mercenary-bodyguard tells me how he used to regularly train shooting steel silhouette torsos @1800m with his .308 sniper rifle.
....but that's nothing,his favourite sniper rifle was....ummm....let's see if I can remember this .....a .322 magnum sumthin er other does not exist BS cartridge that he shoots to 2500m with its 30x scope.
He also has his "restricted FAC" so he can shoot his AK-47,M16,several ARs and pistols at his buddy's farm near Sundre.
He showed me a pic on his phone of one of his many ARs with a "50rd banana clip" .....now I don't claim to be any kind of black gun expert authority,but I know the diff between a DI AR and a piston driven tacticooled SKS with a 5/20 mag.....and I don't know of any actual army vets,snipers or otherwise,that refers to STANAG mags as banana clips.
I just smiled and nodded.

Last edited by West O'5; 01-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:09 AM

Asian immigrant right off the boat telling the guy at sportsmans den that he wanted a gun because it looks cool. And needed the red dot because it's bettwr then a scope with zoom....
Old 02-11-2017, 12:36 PM

Not at gun counter but at sibald flats perhaps 20 years ago. Walked up to the 100 to check targets. The guy next to me had been shooting a large cartridge....not mag but big bore, long cartridge. He had a six inch group. He looked at it and said with satisfaction "that will do". I asked him what he was using it for. He said "moose at 1200 yards. If I hit it anywhere it's dead"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2017, 02:08 PM

Heard a guy last weekend say he was having a scope issue with his new $2000 Vortex, it wouldn't zoom in and the quality was crap. Poor guy on the counter was having a really hard time keeping a straight face when the rifle came out and the scope was on backwards

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 02-12-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakker282 View Post
Heard a guy last weekend say he was having a scope issue with his new $2000 Vortex, it wouldn't zoom in and the quality was crap. Poor guy on the counter was having a really hard time keeping a straight face when the rifle came out and the scope was on backwards
I had this happen working a counter. Fellow came in and wanted to return the whole set up, brand new BAR .300 WM and 44mm Zeiss Conquest. Said the scope was **** and couldn't hit anything. Open up that case and there she be, scope mounted backwards. I honestly thought he was joking and when he looked at me dead serious I was speechless.

It would be one thing if he was a newbie and knew it; but I distinctly remember when he bought the rifle he was bragging about his hunting prowess and declined the free mounting service we offered.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 AM

^^^

^^

Lmao ! Effing priceless
Old 02-12-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
No derail intention here; but have witnessed on a CAF small arms Wpns range, troops arrive and first first five round grouping (100m) was not even on paper.
The ARSO noticed immediately after what the problem was, C79 sight on backwards. The soldier behind the wpn was clerk, hadn't touched a wpn since basic.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I had this happen working a counter. Fellow came in and wanted to return the whole set up, brand new BAR .300 WM and 44mm Zeiss Conquest. Said the scope was **** and couldn't hit anything. Open up that case and there she be, scope mounted backwards. I honestly thought he was joking and when he looked at me dead serious I was speechless.

It would be one thing if he was a newbie and knew it; but I distinctly remember when he bought the rifle he was bragging about his hunting prowess and declined the free mounting service we offered.
I have seen several scopes mounted 90 degrees out, so that the elevation turret was to the left, and the windage turret vertical, but I have yet to see someone clueless enough to mount one backwards. It would have been hard not to laugh .
Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have seen several scopes mounted 90 degrees out, so that the elevation turret was to the left, and the windage turret vertical, but I have yet to see someone clueless enough to mount one backwards. It would have been hard not to laugh .
But that's the proper way to mount a scope on a left handed bolt action.
Overheard on AO forum....just now.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
But that's the proper way to mount a scope on a left handed bolt action.
Overheard on AO forum....just now.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Triple worthy,lol
Old 02-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
re the above:
Many young men can't help themselves in regards to giving advice about things they know about. It's part of being young. I'm not young anymore and still do it from time to time...
Does this go along with the old saying of "Quick, hire a teenager while they still know everything!".

Bill

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-12-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Just about died laughing, heard a couple guys talking about turdope not touching the firearms laws and yet he's a liberal
UN Arms Trade Treaty anyone and 10/22 mag limits so far, talk about misinformed

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 02-12-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Just about died laughing, heard a couple guys talking about turdope not touching the firearms laws and yet he's a liberal
UN Arms Trade Treaty anyone and 10/22 mag limits so far, talk about misinformed
Stay tuned for more Libtard gun grabbing over the next 2 years,8 months,4 days......tic toc....
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM

I was hunting last fall, in my tree stand before light. Right about first light I hear a quad coming up the trail I walked in on (fresh snow) the quad stopped at my tree stand and the fellow asked me if I'd seen the moose he was tracking, the tracks led right up to my tree. He thought my tracks were moose tracks and that he was going to sneak up on it by riding his quad. It was good for a chuckle even if it disrupted my morning.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybrand View Post
I was hunting last fall, in my tree stand before light. Right about first light I hear a quad coming up the trail I walked in on (fresh snow) the quad stopped at my tree stand and the fellow asked me if I'd seen the moose he was tracking, the tracks led right up to my tree. He thought my tracks were moose tracks and that he was going to sneak up on it by riding his quad. It was good for a chuckle even if it disrupted my morning.
At least he didn't shoot you out of the tree, thinking you were the moose.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Banned

Default Wholesale Sports

Not technically at the counter, but 12ft away from it in the isle... About 2 hours ago.

~prelude~ man walks up with his 3 boys, everyone decked out in blue jeans & cowboy boots, 1 young fella even wearing a Stetson.

They mull around the counter for a bit, talking to the cleck. I'm paying no mind, doing my own shopping.

They finish up, leave the counter, and head down the isle I'm in to make their way to the cash-register (I assume). Politely excused themselves, and walked past me*.

I then hear one kid (they're all approx 10-14 years old) start talking about pistols, and the father replies something like,

"Yeah, you can get a 45... It's loud, but there's no one around our place for miles anyway. It's not like anyone can hear it !"

Kid proceeds to tell one of the others how (someone else) has a holster for his and this is how he draws. Then he made the motions of drawing a pistol from a hip-mounted holster, and shooting (pew pew).

I watched as they walked away, and contemplated saying something, but just kept my flappers closed & finished picking out the Caldwell shooting bags I wanted.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Not technically at the counter, but 12ft away from it in the isle... About 2 hours ago.

~prelude~ man walks up with his 3 boys, everyone decked out in blue jeans & cowboy boots, 1 young fella even wearing a Stetson.

They mull around the counter for a bit, talking to the cleck. I'm paying no mind, doing my own shopping.

They finish up, leave the counter, and head down the isle I'm in to make their way to the cash-register (I assume). Politely excused themselves, and walked past me*.

I then hear one kid (they're all approx 10-14 years old) start talking about pistols, and the father replies something like,

"Yeah, you can get a 45... It's loud, but there's no one around our place for miles anyway. It's not like anyone can hear it !"

Kid proceeds to tell one of the others how (someone else) has a holster for his and this is how he draws. Then he made the motions of drawing a pistol from a hip-mounted holster, and shooting (pew pew).

I watched as they walked away, and contemplated saying something, but just kept my flappers closed & finished picking out the Caldwell shooting bags I wanted.
You should have called the proper authorities immediately.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post

The intent was there (sort of), but no crime was committed nor was it conceeded that the act was illegal.

The comment seemed to center more around the fact a .45cal handgun is loud, but the neighbors were far enough away as to not bother them.

He seemed more like a farmer who's oblivious to the laws regarding restricted firearms, than a crazy ex-con father who's hellbent on teaching his kids everything he knows.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're not serious or are you?
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:

This is just wrong. Making assumptions and sticking your nose into something that isn't your business. If you are this concerned with gun safety for the protection of people, go help people in need and don't bother good people doing harmless acts!

Open your eyes to the big picture and do good for the sake of doing good not to put yourself on a temporary pedestal.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:

There are some real winners out there. I have found empty 45ACP cases scattered around the trap house, a very long way from the rifle or handgun ranges. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the idiots were doing. Had we had the cameras in operation to record the idiots shooting at clays in the air, the idiots would have been banned from the range for life, and the RCMP and the CFO would have been notified.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntinGuy View Post
This is just wrong. Making assumptions and sticking your nose into something that isn't your business. If you are this concerned with gun safety for the protection of people, go help people in need and don't bother good people doing harmless acts!

Open your eyes to the big picture and do good for the sake of doing good not to put yourself on a temporary pedestal.

Lighten up Francis! I was kidding.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
The intent was there (sort of), but no crime was committed nor was it conceeded that the act was illegal.

The comment seemed to center more around the fact a .45cal handgun is loud, but the neighbors were far enough away as to not bother them.

He seemed more like a farmer who's oblivious to the laws regarding restricted firearms, than a crazy ex-con father who's hellbent on teaching his kids everything he knows.

I'd assume he knows but his neighbours are far enough away nobody would know.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

Oh, they wore jeans and boots. What were you wearing? Best thing you did was keeping the flappers closed.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
No derail intention here; but have witnessed on a CAF small arms Wpns range, troops arrive and first first five round grouping (100m) was not even on paper.
The ARSO noticed immediately after what the problem was, C79 sight on backwards. The soldier behind the wpn was clerk, hadn't touched a wpn since basic.

I had a Wpns Tech WO who would not let us adjust our own sights on the range one day adjust them all backwards. He mounted one sight backwards.
When I went to mention his short commings in a respectfully manner I was told to mind my own business. I couldn't possibly know what I was doing as I was only a Aircraft Mechanic.

Finally my Sgt who realized my prior training in the Army was worth listening to, let me adjust my own sight and then when I was on paper he let me adjust the rest of the of the sights and remount the backwards sight.
We went through a couple thousand rds of ammo. We did not need to go though.
The WO finally said this C7 rifle was not the same as the FN.....
Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 AM
Banned

Quote:

Its a shame you didn't report these enemies of the state. Especially that young one. Pretending to draw from a holster and all.

Observe and report. Worked for the Nazis / Stalinists / Maoists.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:44 AM

From the field in the late 1970's...

Myself and a friend were deer hunting and we saw a truck with a couple of guys way down the road. Soddenly we heard three regularly-spaced shots come from that direction. When we got back to our vehicle, we drove to where they were and asked if they had gotten anything.

"No, haven't seen a thing yet" a young guy answered.

"What were you shooting at"? my friend Bob asked.

"Nothing, I was just unloading my gun." he responded.

He had a Winchester 94 and thought you had to discharge every round to unload it... Was amazed when we showed him you could eject a live round by simply cycling the lever without pulling the trigger.

His buddy wasn't too sharp either...