Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Default How young for Pheasants?

Here is a silly question, and one I havent given a bunch of thought to.

If I was to get my Son william up to speed on a shotgun, how old could he be to go hunt Pheasants on a release basis? I know he has to be 12 to hunt wild birds.

This idea is a year or 2 down the road, but Willy and I aggreed on a goal today. By the end of this summer we want him able to hit a straightaway on the trap field with a 410. I was thinking by next sumer he could take on the 20. (He will be 7 this summer and did ok with the 410 last year on stationary targets)

If I can get him ok with the 20 and hitting some clays I would love to take him out. I know its down the road, but by then our new dog will be up and hunting.. What a thrill that would be.

Jamie
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Take him to wessex, plant a bird do it cannot move, put a dog out (pointer prefered so he is ready) the let him go in kick it up and shoot it. It will be alot easier for him if he knows its there instead of looking around then all of a sudden he hears wings. If he has never done this there is no reflex to use like somone who has been doing this for 5 years has. If he can hit clays he can hit a big ol pheasant and a 410 will knock down a pheasant.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Good ideas..
But are there any legalitys involved?
I guess the gun club has no problem with him shooting and buying a pheasant is like buying a chicken.. Why not?

HMMMM
Perhaps this may work.

Jamie
Old 03-15-2008, 11:26 PM

I am sure there are more than a few memebers here who would loan you a dog for a day. I will be up that way in a month he is welcome to shoot over Diego if he wishes. One thing you may want to consider is finding a "broke" dog. This way there is no dog blowing past Willy distracting him or potentially knocking him over. A broke dog will also be out of the way if anything goes wrong. Because the bird is planted and not moving simple snapping a leash to the dog could be an easy way to get away with this. Just hang on for dear life.

As far a legalities because it is a private thing he may be able to get away with it. They are privatly raised, "tame" birds. The only thing I can see there being a problem with is his age for shooting a gun but if he is shooting trap then I dont see there being a problem.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

Ryan, thanks for the offer, but Willy is at least a whole summer away from shooting birds. (and thats with just a 410)
I will have him out at the club as much as possible this summer. I dont plan on shooting a bunch of competitive trap, so hopefully I can spend more time with him. I will just hit the slow days and let him bang till his heart is content.
I was planning on starting where we left off last eyar and then moveing on to a elevated target followed by some slow throws with a hand set or a portable machine and then we will finish up with the trap set on straightaways. Who knows if it is going ok, perhaps he can try some real trap. Of course all of this depends on his level of matuarity and his safe gun handling skills.
We had one issue last year.. It will not be repeated. He still speaks of it, and I hope he remembers it for the rest of his life. I know I will..
The saftey talks have begun again around my house, it is paramount to me that he will be safe or we just will not go until he is much older.

Jamie
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Good way to get him started. Good luck. Dont be depressed if your not the first guy to bang a bird over the new dog and he is.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Good way to get him started. Good luck. Dont be depressed if your not the first guy to bang a bird over the new dog and he is.
DEPRESSED??????
Wow wait till you have kids.. I couldnt imagine a prouder moment. Cripes.. The thought of that just gave me the quivers

Kids Rock Ryan... I hope you have some. Everyone should be fortunate enough to be a Dad. Though some sure as hell dont desirve it.

Jamie
Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM

jamie i am having the exact opposite experience..but the same emotions. i never got to shoot with my dad as a kid...he was just too busy and i was not into hanging with dad.......but now to go out with my 73 year old dad and see him still hit clays makes me pretty proud......
Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Here is a silly question, and one I havent given a bunch of thought to.

. By the end of this summer we want him able to hit a straightaway on the trap field with a 410.

Jamie
I have found that the low house bird on the 6 position skeet range could be the easiest bird for a beginner to hit,and with a 410 may be the best one to start with.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
DEPRESSED??????
Wow wait till you have kids.. I couldnt imagine a prouder moment. Cripes.. The thought of that just gave me the quivers

Kids Rock Ryan... I hope you have some. Everyone should be fortunate enough to be a Dad. Though some sure as hell dont desirve it.

Jamie
Yes and Amen to that the onlything depressing about being shown up by my boy is when I come down from the high it gives me. Just makes you proud as punch

As for the original question my boy was 9 when he went out for the first try Mossberg Mod 500 20ga pump in the youth model Phesants Chuckars and some pigeons, they were good fun at that age he killed more air than birds but by 12 he was a force to be reconed with. We will be at Wessex lots over the summer so keep in touch
Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
I have found that the low house bird on the 6 position skeet range could be the easiest bird for a beginner to hit,and with a 410 may be the best one to start with.
Uh, you must mean the "low 7", right, sullijr?
That's the one right by the low house - You not only gettin' older, methinks yousa loosin' parts of memory bank??
Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Evening Cat

yup that's the one, after 18 straight the one I usually miss first.

Last edited by sullijr; 03-16-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling